Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Howard Vs. University of Miami  (Read 2176 times)

SophistAKAted

• View Profile
Howard Vs. University of Miami
« on: March 15, 2007, 04:11:41 PM »
Here's the deal...I was accepted to the University of Miami and Waitlisted at Howard University School of law. Which is the better choice. I know I'm jumping the gun b/c who's to say i'll even get off the waitlist at Howard. But I was just wondering if it was even worth the effort to get off the waitlist or is Miami a better law school. Better as in better job after graduation, better reputation, better chances of survival and success. I did not get any $$$ from the University of Miami and I'm sure if I get off the waitlist at Howard there won't be any $$$ left so that is not really an issue. Any advice would be helpful. I would like to practice in California eventually b/c that is where I am from. Thanks!

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: Howard Vs. University of Miami
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 06:16:25 PM »
If you want to work in NYC or DC I would go to Howard. They have an high number of top firms recruiting there.  But yeah, don't count your chickens before you get off the waitlist. 
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Forget Money, Read a Book

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 01:31:22 PM »
If you want to work in NYC or DC I would go to Howard. They have an high number of top firms recruiting there.  But yeah, don't count your chickens before you get off the waitlist. 

Miami is by far better....Yes, tons of firms interview on campus at Howard----you should really look into how many firms HIRE Howard grads...

In Miami, if you dont mind staying there, all UM grads that do well have a legitimate shot at getting a good job.

Also, UM (UG, Med, Law) all have outstanding reputations in FL
Attending: The "U"

IN: UMiami($$), UofArizona($$), American, URichmond($$), UofSouth Carolina($$)
OUT:  BC, IU-B, UF,
WL:  GWU, UNC, UGA

camillesthename

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 01:00:32 PM »
Here's the deal...I was accepted to the University of Miami and Waitlisted at Howard University School of law. Which is the better choice. I know I'm jumping the gun b/c who's to say i'll even get off the waitlist at Howard. But I was just wondering if it was even worth the effort to get off the waitlist or is Miami a better law school. Better as in better job after graduation, better reputation, better chances of survival and success. I did not get any $$$ from the University of Miami and I'm sure if I get off the waitlist at Howard there won't be any $$$ left so that is not really an issue. Any advice would be helpful. I would like to practice in California eventually b/c that is where I am from. Thanks!

You hear too often, once it's not a T14 school, it does not really matter where you go.  I don't know much about UM, so I cannot speak knowledgeably about the school and the benefits of attending.  I do know that HUSL has an expansive alumni network which has in turn helped many graduates secure jobs upon graduation.  I know 11 graduates personally who work for some of the top firms in the NY, CA, and DC, so getting hired there is possible as with any other school.  Granted, school name recognition may get you in the door, but you still have to be able to sell yourself in the actual interview.  You could graduate from Harh-vahd law and it would not mean a thing if, once in an interview, you cannot hold your own.  I would not place too much stock in U.S. rankings (save for T14 schools). 

In terms of which school is best, I say, it's all relative, my dear.  Doesn't matter where you, learn as much as you can and run with it.  As a metropolitanite, HUSL would be my choice.  Oh wait, that IS my choice.   ;D

Good luck with your decision-making process. 

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 04:21:55 PM »

Where would you rather be STARTING out? DC or Miami?  Right now it's a moot point, but lets say you get off the waitlist...which city do you like more?
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

SophistAKAted

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 03:57:10 AM »
Thank you both for your feedback. I made my decision to attend Univ of Miami. After doing a lot of research I'm very happy with my decision. I can definitely see myself in Miami, I think I would be miserable in D.C.,(I'm use to this beautiful California weather) and besides Miami is a very good school, not to knock Howard by no means. Thanks for your help.

camillesthename

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 08:27:44 AM »
Thank you both for your feedback. I made my decision to attend Univ of Miami. After doing a lot of research I'm very happy with my decision. I can definitely see myself in Miami, I think I would be miserable in D.C.,(I'm use to this beautiful California weather) and besides Miami is a very good school, not to knock Howard by no means. Thanks for your help.

*bangs gavel*

Let this court adjourn.   ;D  Best of luck to you at UM.  Enjoy the learning process and mind the hurricanes!!   ;)

P.U.S.H

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 02:18:09 AM »

Congrats on your decision! Are you going to actually withdraw from the waitlist or are you just going to let HUSL know once they inform you of their decisions?
Everday I'm HUSL'in