Law School Discussion

Questions re: deferred, then admitted

Questions re: deferred, then admitted
« on: March 15, 2007, 10:46:48 AM »
I've been deferred at the school that I most want to go to (T2).  I've got a few questions about deferrment that I was hoping some of you might be willing to take a shot at:

1.  What are the chances of getting any sort of scholarship if you've been deferred? I assume they must be low, since you are further down the totem pole than the people they admitted right off the bat.  But is it unheard of to get a scholarship in that situation?

2.  I am meeting with the admissions director of that school next week.  Is there any chance I can sway them toward admitting me?  If I can try to sway them, should I focus on what I would be bring to the school, or more on why I want to go to that particular school?

3.  I have been offered a very good scholarship at a Tier 3 school in the same region, and I need to accept the offer by mid-April.  I will not get a decision from the school that deferred until late April or early May.  So, aside from the problem of losing out on a couple hundred bucks for the deposit, is it unethical of me to accept admission and the scholarship at another school, only to turn around and back out if I get admitted to the school that deferred me?  Is this something people do frequently?

Any answers or other thoughts on deferrment would be appreciated.

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: Questions re: deferred, then admitted
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 10:53:30 AM »
Your chances are 50/50. It is possible to get a scholarship, but I think as the cycle goes on, these chances diminish somewhat as money is given out. I think your plans to meet with the admissions director and things you want to say are spot-on. Be genuine and communicate your interest in attending. You should focus on why you want to attend, why you think you are a good fit and communicate your personal accomplishments in a positive way.

Regarding the other school/scholarship, find out if accepting the scholarship binds your acceptance in any way. If it does not, there is nothing unethical about putting down multiple seat deposits at multiple schools.

Good luck!

Re: Questions re: deferred, then admitted
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 12:02:18 PM »
Thanks for the thoughtful response, Julie.  I was glad to find out that deferrment is not a death sentence.  When I first got the letter I thought it put my chances around the 1-in-a-million mark, but 50/50 sounds quite good in comparison.  A small part of me almost hopes I don't get in though.  Then I am going to have to decide whether to pay full tuition to go to a school I really like, or take the money at a lesser school that I could deal with.