Law School Discussion

Should I be considering this?

Should I be considering this?
« on: March 15, 2007, 10:10:41 AM »
I was all set to attend FSU this fall; however, I was notified yesterday that Nova Southeastern was offering me a full scholarship over 3 years.  I am now considering going to the Tier 4 school over one of the top schools in the state.

Here is a little information about me, which might help explain why I am considering this:

I am 30 years old with a wife and a son.  The three years I am going to spend in law school will be very taxing on us, but we have planned on the sacrifices.  I originally selected FSU because, in addition to being a great school, it was planted in a very nice job market for my wife who will be supporting me for the 3 years of school. 

I want to work in Orlando or Tampa, but I really don't know what kind of law I want to practice.  I am not concerned with making a lot of money while practicing law -- I just want job satisfaction.  I don't need a Vault 100 job or anything, but I also don't want to limit my possibilities.

darlinalexi

• Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Should I be considering this?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 12:35:16 PM »
Hi,

I would consider what type of law you want to do.  If you are going for environmental or international, go to FSU.  If it is Health law, NOVA makes sense.

I go to FSU undergrad, and I can't imagine trying to raise a family here.  This is a party town for very young people, and so I would consider what it would be like for the rest of your family here.  Also, would your wife be able to find a job here?  The job market is really tight with the FSU hiring ground right here, and I can imagine that would be a factor.

-Ali

Drew P. Bottom

• You do not understand the power of the dark side.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 01:02:38 PM »
Matthies made a good point about scholarship. You don't want to be caught dead spending full tuition on a t4 for 2 years (they are notorious for doing this by the way, not NOVA particularly but t4 generally).

That said, I will also be married so avoiding debt becomes a bigger deal to me. What I'd wonder is:

Do you want to live where NOVA is for the forseeable future? FSU will offer more mobility, especially in the state.

That said, I'm not a Florida law expert, but I'm trying to offer what seems to me like the logical snap judgments.

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 07:00:32 AM »
Thanks for the responses gang.

The scholarship only requires that I carry a 2.0 GPA.  The likelihood of losing it would be minimal. 

However, I have decided to pass on the scholarship and carry-on with my plans to attend FSU.  When it came down to it my answer was rather easy: I don't know what area of law I want to practice in yet; therefore, I would be foolish not to go to the school that would give me more opportunities.  I donít want to chance finding out in my 2nd year of law school that I am extremely passionate for an area of law that is very hard to get employed in coming out of a Tier 4 school.

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 07:03:17 AM »
Go to FSU- in state tuition means at most you will be paying $70K in loans when you get out. Nova doesn't have the greatest rep and it will be easier to get a job with a FSU ed than one from Nova. And if another hurricance comes and blows Florida away you would have an easier time finding a job outside the state than if you went to Nova.