Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LAW SCHOOL PREP PROGRAMS/ Law Preview, BARBRI etc. OPINIONS?  (Read 1427 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LAW SCHOOL PREP PROGRAMS/ Law Preview, BARBRI etc. OPINIONS?
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 12:22:48 PM »
Generally I've heard Law Preview and other courses like it aren't worth it.  Talk to some current students at the school you're attending.  While most schools provide a decent orientation, there are a few schools that are competitive enough that the studentc recommend that you really should attend Law Preview.

Hm, so you're saying it's worth it if you want to be competitive?  Have you heard anything specific regarding these programs?

No, she's saying students at very competitive (read cutthroat) schools sometimes recommend taking them if you're going to attend their school.

These programs are something of a scam. They're capitalizing on your apprehension to squeeze some bucks out of you for something you don't need.

The only way they'll help you is in LOOKING smart while playing the gunner-game in your first two weeks.

You want to prepare for law school? Read. Lots. Get into the habit of reading for long periods of time so you don't get headaches or bleary-eyed. What you read doesn't matter as much, but the more complex the subject matter and prose, the better, I think. Catch up on your classics of Russian literature and read some newspapers and such. Maybe read up on a tangent field you'd like to know something about for law school (business, economics, foreign cultures, history, etc.)

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 12:28:13 PM »
Ogre -- with your name and avatar, I'm always shocked to read something witty from you.  I was kind of expecting you to play the part of your 'tar much like Milton did for the longest time.

I totally agree with Ogre as he agrees with me.

If you really, really want to attend Law Preview, first I'd talk to students at the school you're attending to see if it's necessary.  Second, I recommend LEEWS.  I haven't taken it, but it makes sense.  Why stress over class participation that doesn't effect your grade?  LEEWS preps you on how to take exams and is 1/10 of the price of Law Preview.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

leostrauss

• Sr. Citizen
  • The silence of a wise man is always meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 12:33:10 PM »
Ogre, I'm a really shy person. I thought this thread was discussing the potential benefits of prepping for Law School, so I discussed what I've been doing to prepare. I explained that I feel no certainty that it will benefit me. I don't plan on being a gunner. I don't know what link you're drawing in your mind between a showboat in class, and someone who is serious about preparing outside of class. Please explain.

Further, I explained that I don't expect all the crap I'm doing necessarily to help me. However, even those in this who are critical of Law Preview etc, say things like, "why spend thousands on something that might not help you?" First, if it might not, the implication is that it also MIGHT. Meaning that you tacitly admit that it might help. That's all I contend. As to the cash - we are all spending thousands and thousands on LS, but then we won't spend one thousand to prepare??? That makes no sense. If you're willing to invest so much then you are obligated to be prepared. We have the privilege of receiving a very high level of education, and we ought to do our very best.

Also, Ogre, what do you know about preparing? You say read some complex stuff. That's what I'm doing . . .far more complex than the newspaper. Are you a 2L? Are youa prof??? Are you an expert? NO, you are just like us. Your arguments must be justified just like anyone else's.

As for the comment that each class teaches a method, and each school/prof could have a dif method - I say this:
I recognize this problem, and respond to it by preparing in multiple ways: i.e. Law Preview, PLS II, reading cases, talking to lawyers/alums of the school/s I will/might attend. I also come to this board to bounce ideas off of other similarly inclined people. I don't come here to get labeled a gunner before I even get to class. Don't pretend you know me.
…no bloody or unbloody change of society can eradicate the evil in man: as long as there will be men, there will be malice, envy and hatred, and hence there cannot be a society which does not have to employ coercive restraint.

– Leo Strauss, The City and Man, page 5

leostrauss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 12:45:48 PM »
It amazes how much people on a board like this, where it is commonplace to see entire threads dedicated to prep for LSAT, and in-depth discussions of how to get into school x,y,z etc, that people would just shut off the prep function once they are in and coast. I really really don't understand that. Everytime this is brought up, those who are pro-prepping get shot down like an Iraqi hang-gliding over the White House by all of these people who are pseudo-experts about something they have only second-hand info on. Unbelievable.
…no bloody or unbloody change of society can eradicate the evil in man: as long as there will be men, there will be malice, envy and hatred, and hence there cannot be a society which does not have to employ coercive restraint.

NeoElle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 12:48:38 PM »
It amazes how much people on a board like this, where it is commonplace to see entire threads dedicated to prep for LSAT, and in-depth discussions of how to get into school x,y,z etc, that people would just shut off the prep function once they are in and coast. I really really don't understand that. Everytime this is brought up, those who are pro-prepping get shot down like an Iraqi hang-gliding over the White House by all of these people who are pseudo-experts about something they have only second-hand info on. Unbelievable.

leostrauss, it's not that serious.... *SMILE* sheesh. 
OSU Moritz College of Law c/o 2010 --I think, see below =(

Waitlisted: ND, GW, UIUC & WUSTL

Haven't heard from: UCLA

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 12:50:28 PM »
I'm thinking about doing Law Preview. They have a program w/Sallie Mae where you can get a personal loan to cover the cost.
Vanderbilt 2010

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 12:51:44 PM »
I'm thinking about doing Law Preview. They have a program w/Sallie Mae where you can get a personal loan to cover the cost.

I thought about that, but just realize that it's not an education loan.  From what I saw, you repay it right away.

leostrauss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 12:53:16 PM »
Apologies. I'll leave this thread alone. I will still report back on LawPreview once I've finished the course.

One other thing. I was signed up to take it last year, and ended up getting this job blah blah - couldn't attend. This year, I asked them to let me attend for free since I had paid and was unable to last year. They were extremely accomodating and very very nice. It's always good to work with nice and understanding ppl.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 12:56:33 PM »

I thought about that, but just realize that it's not an education loan.  From what I saw, you repay it right away.

Pour me a box of that wine. I didn't realize that.... Well, the only issue I have is the program cost. I have room and board b/c the program is being offered close to my parents' home... I think I can muster the $$$ for the program itself.

The way I look at these programs is-- why not? We spent time and money prepping for the LSAT- a one week overview to help prepare us and provide us with some good study and learning skills for 1L is worth $1K.
Vanderbilt 2010

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 01:03:13 PM »
I must admit, I bash on them heavily since no one has ever said anything good about them.  That makes me think that people will be spending almost $2K on nothing.  However...if I did have one near my house and the students at the school I'm attending even hint that it might not be a bad idea, I'd think twice about it and maybe attend.

Really the key IMO is talking to current students.  Maybe they don't recommend Law Preview but they recommend something entirely unknown to LSD.  Maybe there's something optional on your orientation, but they strongly recommend that you attend.  That advice is much better in my opinion than blindly following Law Preview's marketing -- and their propaganda definitely is encouraging!