Law School Discussion

LAW SCHOOL PREP PROGRAMS/ Law Preview, BARBRI etc. OPINIONS?

LAW SCHOOL PREP PROGRAMS/ Law Preview, BARBRI etc. OPINIONS?
« on: March 15, 2007, 09:47:53 AM »
Hi Guys,

I've been out of school for a while and was wondering about these law school preparation courses.  Has anyone taken one before or known of someone that did?  How did you/they like the experience?

Thanks! 

leostrauss

• The silence of a wise man is always meaningful.
    • View Profile
Re: LAW SCHOOL PREP PROGRAMS/ Law Preview, BARBRI etc. OPINIONS?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 09:54:21 AM »
I am signed up to take the law preview course at the end of July. I will share my review when I finish (probably to late for the original poster, sorry).

I read Planet Law School II, and I have ordered all of the E&E's, as well as DeLaney's law school exam books. I really don't know if I can get through it all (I work two jobs right now), but I will do my best. I would like to know as much black letter law as possible before day 1 . . . just so the terms won't be too foreign to me.

I listen to SCOTUS oral arguments in headphones at work (and opinions sometimes) and have built up a general knowledge of recent Supreme Court cases. Recently, I started reading COA opinions, too - the best one I've read yet is Parker v DC - you should read it, because it's well written, makes you think, discusses 2nd Amendment case law and legislative history, and will be before the SCOTUS soon.

I don't prepare because I think it will really give me much of an edge. I do it because a) I enjoy it, b) I'm excited about law school and c) I'm anxious and can't sleep at night when I feel like there's something out there I COULD be doing to prepare myself (no matter how much ppl say it's bs).

I hope LawPreview is intensive and gives us a chance to write a bit. What else do you do to prepare?

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 09:59:31 AM »
I am signed up to take the law preview course at the end of July. I will share my review when I finish (probably to late for the original poster, sorry).

I read Planet Law School II, and I have ordered all of the E&E's, as well as DeLaney's law school exam books. I really don't know if I can get through it all (I work two jobs right now), but I will do my best. I would like to know as much black letter law as possible before day 1 . . . just so the terms won't be too foreign to me.

I listen to SCOTUS oral arguments in headphones at work (and opinions sometimes) and have built up a general knowledge of recent Supreme Court cases. Recently, I started reading COA opinions, too - the best one I've read yet is Parker v DC - you should read it, because it's well written, makes you think, discusses 2nd Amendment case law and legislative history, and will be before the SCOTUS soon.

I don't prepare because I think it will really give me much of an edge. I do it because a) I enjoy it, b) I'm excited about law school and c) I'm anxious and can't sleep at night when I feel like there's something out there I COULD be doing to prepare myself (no matter how much ppl say it's bs).

I hope LawPreview is intensive and gives us a chance to write a bit. What else do you do to prepare?

Hey leotrauss that's awesome!  No panicking for you sounds like :)  Anyway, I'm going to look into recommended reading lists and read up on taking law school exams- which will probably include me sifting through some old exams of the law school I attend.  Um going to start reading up on legal specialties to try and carve out a general idea of what it is I want to do with my degree.  I found a useful blog of a recent law school alum of the school I'll be attending that has class notes, briefs and even short commentaries on the very professors I'll be taking this fall.  You can bet I'll be reading that like there's no tomorrow!  I highly recommend you all try and find "that blog" of the former law student.  I think that resource will prove invaluable in the  months ahead.

Other than that, I'm gonna just try and stay chill to calm my nerves as I'm so incredibly excited about starting law school too!!

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 10:01:36 AM »
are you people from france?

Boss

• You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 10:03:01 AM »
Generally I've heard Law Preview and other courses like it aren't worth it.  Talk to some current students at the school you're attending.  While most schools provide a decent orientation, there are a few schools that are competitive enough that the studentc recommend that you really should attend Law Preview.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 10:04:14 AM »
are you people from france?

Haha... I wish.   :)

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 10:04:58 AM »
Generally I've heard Law Preview and other courses like it aren't worth it.  Talk to some current students at the school you're attending.  While most schools provide a decent orientation, there are a few schools that are competitive enough that the studentc recommend that you really should attend Law Preview.

Hm, so you're saying it's worth it if you want to be competitive?  Have you heard anything specific regarding these programs?

leostrauss

• The silence of a wise man is always meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 10:10:13 AM »
I don't get the French comment.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 10:12:20 AM »

"Too close for missiles, I'm switching to GUNNER..."

Boss

• You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 10:18:46 AM »

Hm, so you're saying it's worth it if you want to be competitive?  Have you heard anything specific regarding these programs?

Yes.  I'm saying it's not worth it.  Most schools have a great orientation program that you get for free.  Why spend $1K on material that might not even help you?  These programs teach one method that may or may not be the method that your profs encourage.  I guarantee that whatever your school provides at orientation will be inline with what the profs expect on exams.

Also, I've heard they only create a stressful environment that focuses on class participation, outlining, and briefing -- all things that don't necessarily provide you the material that will score excellently on exams.  But they will definitely stress you out and make you owe several thousand more in loans.  ($1K tutition, plus housing, travel, and food for the week).

A poster on TLS visited Pepperdine and the students encouraged her to attend Law Preview before coming to law school.  She also reported that it's uber-competitive in terms of not providing outlines, etc.  Students there recommend briefing every case the night before and then reading it again the morning of.  They study nonstop from 7am-7pm with breaks only for class.  There's a difference between priming yourself for the best you can do and being so competitive that you strive to push others down.  If you want to be competitive, sure go to Law Preview.  If you want to do the best possible, I suggest you spend this summer relaxing and pay attention during orientation.

But do whatever the hell you want.  I don't have to pay your loans or listen to you complaining when you're freaking out over doing formal briefings.