Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is It Worth It?  (Read 783 times)

Coreysmommy

• View Profile
Is It Worth It?
« on: March 15, 2007, 09:42:40 AM »
Hello everyone,

I recieved my first acceptance yesterday and I was so excited. I don't know what to do. The only thing is that I don't know if I want to pratice law anymore. Since childhood I've always wanted to be an attorney. This is my second year applying so I gave up with anyhope of getting in so when I recieved my letter I was schocked. I started looking at getting my MBA from the school up the street.
I am so confused right now. Going to school would mean I would have to relocate again and leave my 7 year-old with my mother. Someone please tell me is it worth going to law school if you don't want to be an attorney? I may want to be an attorney some day down the road but right now I just don't know.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
Re: Is It Worth It?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
"from the school up the street?"

LOL!! oh sh!t that's funny.  :D I'll respond seriously in a few.

:D

Hello everyone,

I recieved my first acceptance yesterday and I was so excited. I don't know what to do. The only thing is that I don't know if I want to pratice law anymore. Since childhood I've always wanted to be an attorney. This is my second year applying so I gave up with anyhope of getting in so when I recieved my letter I was schocked. I started looking at getting my MBA from the school up the street.
I am so confused right now. Going to school would mean I would have to relocate again and leave my 7 year-old with my mother. Someone please tell me is it worth going to law school if you don't want to be an attorney? I may want to be an attorney some day down the road but right now I just don't know.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 12:18:30 PM »
If you don't want to be an attorney, don't go to law school.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Inquirer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 12:40:37 PM »
Hello everyone,

Ultimately, whether or not it's "worth it" to go to law school, especially if you're not sure you want to be an attorney, is up to you.

If you want to spend money studying something you're not sure you'll ever use, that's your business. In my humble opinion, it seems like there's some other stuff going on here (the moving, the separation from your child, the rejections from last year etc.) that might be understandably affecting your decision and those are most definitely things you need to consider before making a decision.

Whatever you decide to do - good luck :) !!!

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 04:44:30 PM »
if you could answer the following, I think you'd get a better tailored response:

why are you hoping to go to law school?/what are you hoping to get out of the experience?
which school are you deciding on?
how far away is it from your child/mom?
how much financial aid are you getting?

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 04:47:39 PM »
dont go to law school unless you want to do somethin with that degree.

The school up the street? lol That's still funny to me. Sounds like you're tryin to get a fish sandwich or something.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 05:30:08 PM »
there are other things that you can do with a law degree w/o being a practicing attorney...in fact there are books on it particularly on the westlaw website.  I'll scope some out and let u know in a few. 

By the way, a lot of folks on this website struggled to get into law school, I'm sad to see that it deterred you from pursuing  your dream. Well, maybe it didnt deter you entirely since you still applied.  :) I doubt you would have wasted the $50- $70 if you didnt want to be an attorney.  What made you want to be an attorney in the first place?  Contemplating that will help you make a decision.  It just sounds like you lost a little faith...trust, it happens.   
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Girljuno

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 05:50:19 PM »
Yes it is worth it. The first time I took the LSAT I scored a 145 and I applied to 8 schools and got roasted. I felt so bad. So I got extra proactive. I targeted the school that I wanted the most(Univeristy of Richmond). It is right down the street from me. I then took the kaplan(the class was a waste but the materials were invaluable). Some girl in the class told me how some chick with a 148 interviewed with someone on admissions and got in. So I emailed the dean and asked for some time to talk. We had a face to face and I basically kept in touch with her every step. When I increased my score to 156 I emailed to let her know. A month after that I emailed her again letting her know of my continued interest. One day I panicked. I said there has to be some other school that I could get into that I would feel proud to attend. So at 1 am on a january morning I sent in my application to Howard. I got in and was elated. I had pretty much given up on richmond until yesterday. Man when I got the call from the dean I was elated. I don't know what kind of law I want to practice and I don't know where this degree will take me but you can do so much with a law degree. I have two cousins with law degrees and they don't practice traditioanl lawyering but they are happy with where the degree has taken them. So now that you are in do not second guess your perserverance. Just do the dang thing.

Undergrad GPA: 2.8
Grad GPA: 3.5
LSAT: 145 and 156