Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why vote?  (Read 141 times)

ExpLo

• View Profile
    • Email
Why vote?
« on: March 14, 2007, 11:17:24 PM »
Question: 

Why do people vote if their vote is statistically insignificant among the thousands or even millions of votes that will ultimately decide an election? 

My 2 cents:  Even though one individual's vote is insignificant, I believe that one vote has much personal meaning.  It stems from our desire to have our voice heard regardless of how futile our actions are going to be.  This is demonstrated by voters of 3rd party candidates during presidential elections.  Another reason why an individual's vote is significant which seems popular among voting advocates is that if one person on every block in America thinks that their one vote is not going to make a difference, then that total number of votes would make a difference.  Therefore, each individual should play his or her part.       

Any thoughts? 

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
Re: Why vote?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 11:45:16 PM »
I really don't understand the defeatist theories behind voting.  Every time I vote I feel pretty accomplished.  I just helped run the country for about 5 minutes.

Besides, your vote "matters," especially when democratically electing officials (as opposed to representatively electing officials - the pres.)
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.