Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hastings - Housing at UCSF's Mission Bay  (Read 2708 times)

Le Docteur De Peste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ashes, ashes, we all fall down.
    • View Profile
Re: Hastings - Housing at UCSF's Mission Bay
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 05:59:13 PM »
Tenderloin general rule is: If you're dressed decent (AKA not in a short skirt, i'm-goin'-clubbin'-and-fetchin'-a-man-tonight), up until 1am is fine. Even 2am on Fridays/Saturdays because of last call. After that you get into "sketchy crackhead" hours. Reading the newspaper you'll find that most shootings and crap happen at ~3am.

That's the rule I follow and so far it has allowed me to: A) Stay out pretty late; B) Be pretty safe, and C) Stay out late enough to see the transsexual prostitutes on Polk.

Huzzah!

scrrrred

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 05:37:35 PM »
Any current Hastings students know how to get housing at MB?  I sent in my deposit for the Towers, but if I wanted to live in MB, should I call/write the school and let them know or is it a completely random process?  Thanks for the help, and I'm looking forward to seeing you next year.

mrsdclare

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - mrsdclare
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - mrsdclare
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 05:55:02 PM »
tag
Pending:  UC Hastings, USF, McGeorge, UC Davis, Santa Clara

BigAl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 02:40:18 AM »
Any current Hastings students know how to get housing at MB?  I sent in my deposit for the Towers, but if I wanted to live in MB, should I call/write the school and let them know or is it a completely random process?  Thanks for the help, and I'm looking forward to seeing you next year.

There's an online application to complete on UCSF's housing website.  It's free and there's no obligation (do I sound like a telemarketer?).  After I had completed it, I called the housing office a couple days later to confirm that my application was approved.

Here's their website:

http://campuslifeservices.ucsf.edu/housing/mb/

There's a Q & A page on there that has really helpful info too.

scrrrred

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 09:43:04 AM »
Thanks BigAl - that was really helpful.  I just completed the online form, so we'll see what happens.  Are you planning on living alone or in one of the 4-bedroom apts.?  The place looks really nice and new - should be a fun (and hard) year.

Guess who's coming to dinner?!?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't call it a come back
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 05:09:29 PM »
I'm HAstings 1L and an Oakland girl who dislikes SF, however, I have lived in the Tower for the past year and I HIGHLY recommend it for 1Ls.  MB is newer, yes, but it is also far away.  You could live some place nicer for that amount of money.  What d2thefututre (I know you hahaha)  said about not seeing LS peeps  24/7 is the biggest disadvantage of the Tower, but you'll see them at mission bay too.  And unless you study in your room you WILL see them at ANY library you go to in the city and even at Boalt!!! This sucks around finals time when you don't want to see anybody but your books. (maybe not want but you know...)
 There have been many days when I wake up at 9:30 for a 9:40 class and am there on time.  Also, it is nice for LWR because you can go during the off hours...people will be pushing and stepping on people to get needed books( didn't anybody tell you you guys don't have Westlaw/Lexus for first semester ?!haha)  during the breaks between classes.  I would go around 10 pm do my work and be out.  It take other people 2+ hours b/c of everybody using the books.  Not sure if the new library will help with this.  The Tower sucks because of the part of town its in, but you shouldn't be kicking it too much anyways.  When you're a 1L you don't want to bother with a getting to school.  Trust me. ;)
There's no homework in Law School

BigAl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 06:27:04 PM »
Thanks BigAl - that was really helpful.  I just completed the online form, so we'll see what happens.  Are you planning on living alone or in one of the 4-bedroom apts.?  The place looks really nice and new - should be a fun (and hard) year.

Well, I just got married recently. :)  So my wife and I are looking for our own place.  The MB apartments do look nice.  We're going to try to check it out when we're in SF for ASD next weekend.

BigAl

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 06:34:08 PM »
I'm HAstings 1L and an Oakland girl who dislikes SF, however, I have lived in the Tower for the past year and I HIGHLY recommend it for 1Ls.  MB is newer, yes, but it is also far awayYou could live some place nicer for that amount of money. 

I got the impression that MB is not that far from Hastings... less than 2 miles or so.  Maybe I'm totally off.  I know there's a new MUNI line connecting MB to Hastings that's opening for full-time service in April.

As for living someplace nicer for the same amount of $$, any suggestions?  My wife needs a car for her job.  So, that pretty much eliminates us living in the Tower.  I'm all ears if there's a better place to live... we're still looking around.

Guess who's coming to dinner?!?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't call it a come back
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 01:03:43 AM »
I'm HAstings 1L and an Oakland girl who dislikes SF, however, I have lived in the Tower for the past year and I HIGHLY recommend it for 1Ls.  MB is newer, yes, but it is also far awayYou could live some place nicer for that amount of money. 

I got the impression that MB is not that far from Hastings... less than 2 miles or so.  Maybe I'm totally off.  I know there's a new MUNI line connecting MB to Hastings that's opening for full-time service in April.

As for living someplace nicer for the same amount of $$, any suggestions?  My wife needs a car for her job.  So, that pretty much eliminates us living in the Tower.  I'm all ears if there's a better place to live... we're still looking around.

Well, maybe not from the Tower, although being married in the Tower may suck.  I know a few people who do it. There is city center parking garage and while monthly parking is not available w/o a 1-2 year wait(if you're interested at all get on the list now!!)  you can park overnight for $2.50...I do it all the time.  During the day it seems like your wife would be at work but if she ever takes a day off with your student ID you can get all day parking for $7.50.  I'm sure you're already looking on craiglist, but usually you can find some places there that have spot.  I would check out Hayes Valley, close to school and reasonable.  Also the Marina which is kinda far but I love it out there. 

Nob Hill, Noe Valley are also pretty good.

MB is not too far, but still seems pretty far to me, I guess it depends on how much of trip to school you want to make, I know there's that shuttle.

Hope that helps!
There's no homework in Law School

Hastings16

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2007, 05:50:01 PM »
How big are the efficiencies at the Tower compared to the studios? Seems like it is only slightly cheaper.