Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any advantage to foreign students?  (Read 3789 times)

sg7007

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - sg7007@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Any advantage to foreign students?
« on: March 14, 2007, 06:26:57 PM »
 I found this line from the book, "How to get into top law schools."
"The average scores of minority admittees to law schools tend to be below the overall averages. As a rough rule of thumb, blacks average 7-10 points below, Hispanics 2-4 points below."

I guess this is due to the affirmative actions in the process. Do you think the same goes for foreign applicants?

wannabe1

• View Profile
Re: Any advantage to foreign students?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 10:48:01 PM »
That's what I heard

you get more points for being from a underdeveloped country

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 12:36:11 AM »
Foreign black and hispanic applicants?  Absolutely.
Foreign caucasian aplicants?  No way. Maybe if you're from a truly underdeveloped country, and only with other decent soft factors - adversity, powerty, etc.
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

hoyathon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 11:36:05 AM »
I don't know about law school but for undergrad foreign students had absolutely no advantage. And considering foreign blacks, I come from an african country where about six people in my class got SAT scores that would probably give you a good shot in an ivy undergrad-99th percentile- my SAT score was also in the 98th percentile but all of them got rejected at the relatively easy schools they applied to. The most important question is if the foreign student is asking for financial aid not his race. I some people from vietnam, the phillipines, france and england who had really retarded scores and got into undergrad because they could pay full tuition while my classmates who had SAT scores above 1500/1600 got rejected at schools such as Colgate or swarthmore because they were applying for full aid.

Lil Orphan Annie

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 09:44:52 PM »
It depends on where you're applying from.

Not all international applicants are viewed equally.  If you're from a country where they might question your ability to finance law school, or has some negative political relationship with the States, or other factors, they may be hesitant to accept you. Also, it is considerably harder for certain countries to even get the student visa to come to the States in the first place.  There are lots of factors at play here.

makalika

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School USA Blog
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 12:50:04 PM »
I dont know about the exact amt of points below the average you can "get away with," but Columbia's Dean said in a Los Angeles admitted student event last month that 1 in 5 students at CLS were occupied by international students.  So they are making an effort to diversify their classes not only amongst US minority groups - but to include students from around the globe.  I thought that was pretty cool...Maybe bad news for US applicants though...that means there are techincally only about 80% of seats really up for grabs in any given year. 

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 01:24:54 PM »
I dont know about the exact amt of points below the average you can "get away with," but Columbia's Dean said in a Los Angeles admitted student event last month that 1 in 5 students at CLS were occupied by international students.  So they are making an effort to diversify their classes not only amongst US minority groups - but to include students from around the globe.  I thought that was pretty cool...Maybe bad news for US applicants though...that means there are techincally only about 80% of seats really up for grabs in any given year. 

He's including LLM students as well, which is usually almost all international at most schools unless its a specific LLM (eg NYU's tax LLM).  The JD program is about 9% international (although it can be gamed by who they classify as international students).
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

sg7007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 12:23:55 AM »
That's what I heard

I'm not sure if Korea would count as a underdeveloped country. Maybe it's not. but it's still not yet a first-rate advanced country, either. I was mentioning affirmative action for a person like me cause it's still very rare people straight from Korea get into law schools in the US. But, considering US and Korea are doing a lot in terms of trade, M&A and stuff, I guess US law schools have incentives to accept more Koreans. That's why I was thinking maybe law schools may have affirmative actions for a person like me.

wannabe1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 05:40:21 AM »
That's what I heard

I'm not sure if Korea would count as a underdeveloped country. Maybe it's not. but it's still not yet a first-rate advanced country, either. I was mentioning affirmative action for a person like me cause it's still very rare people straight from Korea get into law schools in the US. But, considering US and Korea are doing a lot in terms of trade, M&A and stuff, I guess US law schools have incentives to accept more Koreans. That's why I was thinking maybe law schools may have affirmative actions for a person like me.

1. Korea is definately not a underdeveloped country

If you really live in Korea, you must have heard that it has the 10th largest economy in the world

Many say it's a developed country

2. you must define rare

I have seen many Korean students applying for LS

3. what does M&A or FTA has got to do with all this?

I am quite certain there is no AA for Koreans

sg7007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 04:26:24 AM »
2. you must define rare

I have seen many Korean students applying for LS

3. what does M&A or FTA has got to do with all this?

I am quite certain there is no AA for Koreans

I was talking about Korean students who are straight from Korea, and got full education in Korea. Not Korean Americans.
M&A and Free trade have a lot to do with this. Who's the middle men when companies take over another ones across border? Lawyers. especially American lawyers. If there's lack of American lawyers who can represent Korean companies, then the market becomes inefficient. That's why I'm saying US law schools might have an incentive to choose Koreans.