Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are my debt estimates correct (Temple and Drexel)  (Read 521 times)

ks2pa

• View Profile
Are my debt estimates correct (Temple and Drexel)
« on: March 14, 2007, 06:25:47 PM »
I am trying to decide between a full ride at Drexel and 12k/yr at Temple (i am out of state).  This is what i calculate
-20,000/year to live in Philly and buy books.

Drexel=Approx 40k debt.  Do you think i would be able to work off 20k during 2L summer from a brand new school? 
Tuition=$0
Living=$60k
Work= -20k

Temple
Tuition=40k
Living= 60k
Work=-20k

Do you think Drexel would really be 40k or would it be closer to 50k or 60k?  Do you think the extra $$$ is worth it to attend Temple?

mysteriousarrival

• View Profile
Re: Are my debt estimates correct (Temple and Drexel)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 08:51:18 PM »
Going to Drexel before it is accredited and has hiring attorney alums is pretty risky.  I wouldn't do it.

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 09:32:39 PM »
$60k of living $???
In: Suffolk, Seton Hall($$)
Pending: BC, Brooklyn, Cardozo, George Mason, Ohio State, Temple
Out: Nowhere yet.
2.8/163

ks2pa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 09:35:31 PM »
over 3 years 20k/year

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 10:54:12 PM »
over 3 years 20k/year

do you mean room % board included in this?
In: Suffolk, Seton Hall($$)
Pending: BC, Brooklyn, Cardozo, George Mason, Ohio State, Temple
Out: Nowhere yet.
2.8/163

ks2pa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 01:52:50 AM »
yes

NotReally

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 07:54:16 AM »
Not to burst your bubble, but I doubt most temple or drexel students make 20k during the summer. 

cmickey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 10:11:22 AM »
Not to burst your bubble, but I doubt most temple or drexel students make 20k during the summer. 

id say a significant number of temple students can make decent money though..

however what should scare you about drexel is this... why would a firm take a risk and pay a drexel student for a summer when they can get you for free during their co-op program?

ks2pa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 02:04:18 PM »
Please do burst my bubble!  I am not looking to be coddled or anything just want to know what i can expect for debt.  I guess the 20k summer reflects summer employment and any money i could make doing work study during my 2L and 3L.  Do you think that might be high at either school?

RedWine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 02:31:10 PM »
I think $20K for a summer is an extremely high estimate.  It's possible if you're at the top of the class, but I'm estimating $5K per summer (basically enough to cover my living expenses).  I'd rather estimate low on my income and be pleasantly surprised if something better comes up than to estimate high and be blindsided when it doesn't work out that way.  Also keep in mind that the $20K COL estimate the schools give is based on 9 months, not 12.  If you can make it stretch, that's great, but some of your summer $$ will probably go toward covering costs, not completely to debt payoff.

I'm not sure if Drexel offers work study to their law students.  It seems like it would be difficult to do with the co-op program, and I'm not sure if the federal funding for work study is affected because they're not yet accredited.  This would be a good question to ask a Drexel admissions staffer.

Personally, I still think Temple is a better option (and not just because that's where I will be  :) ).  As I said on a different thread a couple months ago, a lot of Philly lawyers are not happy about the addition of another law school here and I'm not sure how that will impact hiring, even after it becomes accredited.  Also, Drexel's focus is still very narrow, so unless you're interested in healthcare law or entrepreneurship law, I'd think very hard about going there.