Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hastings vs USF ($$)  (Read 1243 times)

giants28

• View Profile
Hastings vs USF ($$)
« on: March 14, 2007, 05:35:14 PM »
Have been reading posts for quite a while, here is my first...

I have been accepted to both Hastings and USF. Obviously Hastings is a much better school, but should I consider going to USF since they have offered me $24,000 a year. Tuition at USF would only be about $8,000 for the year and it would be about $24,000 at Hastings. I think that Hastings is still the better choice. Its not worth the money...is it?

mjca83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hastings vs USF ($$)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 05:49:16 PM »
I go to Hastings, so feel free if you have any questions.  Honestly, I think you'd be making a huge mistake if you go to USF.  First, one thing Hastings doesn't advertise very well is that they give 80% of students a 5.5K grant every year, based on financial need.  So if you qualify you'd be down to under 19K a year.  Even if you don't qualify, Hastings is worth the difference. 

From what I've been hearing from people I know who go to USF, getting a job, not just after law school but even summer jobs, is so much more difficult at USF.  You don't want to be in competition with Hastings, Davis, Boalt, and Stanford students, and employers don't know that you are at USF on a scholarship.  There's a reason why USF is offerring you that money -- it's because for you, going to USF isn't worth paying to go there.  Don't get me wrong, USF is a respectable school, but not worth passing up a better one.

Good luck with your decision, and congrats on your acceptances.   Hope to see you at Hastings!

Have been reading posts for quite a while, here is my first...

I have been accepted to both Hastings and USF. Obviously Hastings is a much better school, but should I consider going to USF since they have offered me $24,000 a year. Tuition at USF would only be about $8,000 for the year and it would be about $24,000 at Hastings. I think that Hastings is still the better choice. Its not worth the money...is it?

giants28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 09:15:04 PM »
Thanks. You support the feelings I already had. I will almost positively be at hastings next fall.

Hasty23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 01:51:27 PM »
Good choice :-)

Thanks. You support the feelings I already had. I will almost positively be at hastings next fall.

stevez32

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 06:12:57 PM »
USF also has more scholarship opportunities through the year as well.  This year 63 students will get $7500.  That on top of your $24,000 should be close to a full ride. 

Environment also is worth considering too, as USF has a friendly atmosphere and nice facilities with friendly professors. 

There is also a very strong alumni community as well, but Hastings also is well represented in San Francisco.  I'd suggest taking a tour before deciding.