Law School Discussion

Re: An East Coast Thing: Maryland, Villanova, or Florida
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 11:08:12 AM »
If you want to practice in FL, UF is an excellent choice. However, outside of FL, I'm not so sure. FL is pretty different from the NE in terms of culture and climate. G'ville is an ok town, but there really isn't much else around there.

I think as with all of the decisions, where you want to end up is the most important factor.

This is really true. Florida is the best law school in the state and places great in the state, but will not help you enter many other markets. Maryland is also the best law school in the state, but will limit you to NoVA-DC-MD-Phila region. I would be wary of Villanova though. With the addition of Drexel, there are now six law schools within 8 miles of downtown Philadelphia. This may not seem like a big deal now, but it will be annoying when you are applying for jobs in your home market and there is a glut of local law students applying for all of the same things.

WTF are you talking about?  There aren't 6 law schools within 8 miles of Philly.  You have Penn, Temple & Nova - which both place well in Philly, and Rutgers-Camden.  That is 4 accreditted schools and Rutgers doesn't really place all that well in Philly.  A quick look at firms in Philly illustrates this.

There are five within 8 miles: Penn, Temple, Rutgers-Camden, Drexel, Villanova

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 11:12:25 AM »
[I would be wary of Villanova though. With the addition of Drexel, there are now six law schools within 8 miles of downtown Philadelphia. This may not seem like a big deal now, but it will be annoying when you are applying for jobs in your home market and there is a glut of local law students applying for all of the same things.

(like NYC is different?)

New York City has 8.2 million residents. Philadelphia has 1.5 million residents. By that measure, NY would need to have over 25 law schools to be as saturated as Philadelphia.

Captain

• View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 11:34:07 AM »
[I would be wary of Villanova though. With the addition of Drexel, there are now six law schools within 8 miles of downtown Philadelphia. This may not seem like a big deal now, but it will be annoying when you are applying for jobs in your home market and there is a glut of local law students applying for all of the same things.

(like NYC is different?)

New York City has 8.2 million residents. Philadelphia has 1.5 million residents. By that measure, NY would need to have over 25 law schools to be as saturated as Philadelphia.

The NYC legal market pulls from all over the country though, so the competition is easily more fierce...

None-the-less, Philadelphia is the 5th largest metro-area in the country (4th biggest TV market). It has 4 accredited law schools, none of which has a large class size -- they produce maybe 800 lawyers a year -- some of whom won't be staying in Philly anyway. I don't have any experience with the Legal market in PHL (and neither do you), but I really doubt that 4 schools will overload it.

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 11:43:52 AM »

(like NYC is different?)

The NYC legal market pulls from all over the country though, so the competition is easily more fierce...

None-the-less, Philadelphia is the 5th largest metro-area in the country (4th biggest TV market). It has 4 accredited law schools, none of which has a large class size -- they produce maybe 800 lawyers a year -- some of whom won't be staying in Philly anyway. I don't have any experience with the Legal market in PHL (and neither do you), but I really doubt that 4 schools will overload it.

I respect your point of view and I hope you don't think that I was denigrating your Alma Mater. Villanova is a fine school and the OP has a tough decision ahead.

Irish Jax

• My puppy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 11:46:30 AM »
I live in Philadelphia and there are plenty of Widener grads who work in the big firms in Philadelphia. I have worked with many of the big firms through my current position and have met many Widener grads.  Widener Law is located in Delaware, but the University itself is not far from Philly.  Because I live here, I hear many people count Widener as a Philly school since it really is not that far from Philly.

Go to Nova. Its a great school and a great town where it is located.  Drexel is not yet accredited.

Captain

• View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 11:57:19 AM »

I respect your point of view and I hope you don't think that I was denigrating your Alma Mater. Villanova is a fine school and the OP has a tough decision ahead.

Nah, I didn't take it that way at all. I just think that the job prospects aren't completely dismal in Philly, especially with so many kids trying to leave the area.

I know it was actually a lot easier to find jobs in the Philly area coming out of UG (and there are a BILLION UG's in the Philly area) than it was to look in NYC.

Nova is building a new law school building, and the class of 2011 and beyond will be greatly benefitted by it (as will the students in my UG Department, who will inherit the old law school).

Hell, Nova/Temple are much closer to Harvard than Widener is to Nova/Temple, as far as prestige and quality are concerned.

Ummm. I love my Alma Mater, but Nova is soooo far from Harvard (especially in Law School).

bruinbro

• B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 11:59:39 AM »
Maryland has a very good reputation among the professors at my school (GW) and places well in this area. I haven't heard anything about Villanove (is it T2 or T3?) and just know that UF is a good southern school. I think the Florida or Maryland name would travel the best. Can you get in-state at either? That might be a good tie breaker.

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 12:01:51 PM »
I live in Philadelphia and there are plenty of Widener grads who work in the big firms in Philadelphia. I have worked with many of the big firms through my current position and have met many Widener grads.  Widener Law is located in Delaware, but the University itself is not far from Philly.  Because I live here, I hear many people count Widener as a Philly school since it really is not that far from Philly.

Go to Nova. Its a great school and a great town where it is located.  Drexel is not yet accredited.

Uh, no.  There aren't plenty of Widener grads at the Big Firms.  There are a few, but nothing to count on by going there.  In fact, the top students from Widener usually try to transfer from there every year after 1L to Temple, Nova, and Rutgers.

Irish Jax

• My puppy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 12:56:34 PM »
I understand your point that Widener may be a "terrible school"  The point I was trying to make is that I work with the big firms in Philly, (Morgan Lewis, Cozen O'Connor, Ratner Prestia etc.) Many of their partners and attorneys went to Widener.

I am trying to say that they do work in many of the big firms.

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 01:10:20 PM »
I understand your point that Widener may be a "terrible school"  The point I was trying to make is that I work with the big firms in Philly, (Morgan Lewis, Cozen O'Connor, Ratner Prestia etc.) Many of their partners and attorneys went to Widener.

I am trying to say that they do work in many of the big firms.

Please stop saying many and lots.  That is factually incorrect.  If you don't believe me, go to Martindale.