Law School Discussion

« on: March 14, 2007, 01:31:09 PM »

annita

• View Profile
Re: An East Coast Thing: Maryland, Villanova, or Florida
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 06:57:25 PM »
break it down for me strangers

Where on the east coast do you want to practice? Are you getting money from any of these schools? Are you in-state for any of them?

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 09:07:56 PM »
i'm sort of in a rush today, and don't have time to explain...just go to maryland.  nice law school, close to d.c., arrghh....i'll try to clarify later. 

go to maryland. 

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 09:30:42 PM »
Where on the east coast do you want to practice? Are you getting money from any of these schools? Are you in-state for any of them?

I read this post earlier and didn't respond because the answers to these questions are vital for any useful answer, in my opinion. The schools are all similarly ranked -- at this point it's these secondary details that really matter.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 09:00:44 AM »
If you want to practice in FL, UF is an excellent choice. However, outside of FL, I'm not so sure. FL is pretty different from the NE in terms of culture and climate. G'ville is an ok town, but there really isn't much else around there.

I think as with all of the decisions, where you want to end up is the most important factor.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 10:02:21 AM »
If you want to practice in FL, UF is an excellent choice. However, outside of FL, I'm not so sure. FL is pretty different from the NE in terms of culture and climate. G'ville is an ok town, but there really isn't much else around there.

I think as with all of the decisions, where you want to end up is the most important factor.

This is really true. Florida is the best law school in the state and places great in the state, but will not help you enter many other markets. Maryland is also the best law school in the state, but will limit you to NoVA-DC-MD-Phila region. I would be wary of Villanova though. With the addition of Drexel, there are now six law schools within 8 miles of downtown Philadelphia. This may not seem like a big deal now, but it will be annoying when you are applying for jobs in your home market and there is a glut of local law students applying for all of the same things.

Captain

• View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 10:06:01 AM »
i'm sort of in a rush today, and don't have time to explain...just go to maryland.  nice law school, close to d.c., arrghh....i'll try to clarify later. 

go to maryland. 

Yeah, no.  College Park is the crappiest, ugliest town in the D.C. area, save the slums just outside of D.C. proper.  Only pick MD if you want to practice in D.C.

I want to practice in Florida, so I'm going to Florida.  I live in D.C. now, and I can just tell you that you'll rarely feel safe in College Park.

Maryland's law school is in Baltimore, not College Park, HTH

Oops, I guess someone already said this....

Go to Nova. I have time to explain, but like the other guy, I don't feel like it. There are good reasons, so just go. OK? Problem solved.

Go to Nova

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 10:08:44 AM »

This is really true. Florida is the best law school in the state and places great in the state, but will not help you enter many other markets. Maryland is also the best law school in the state, but will limit you to NoVA-DC-MD-Phila region. I would be wary of Villanova though. With the addition of Drexel, there are now six law schools within 8 miles of downtown Philadelphia. This may not seem like a big deal now, but it will be annoying when you are applying for jobs in your home market and there is a glut of local law students applying for all of the same things.

WTF are you talking about?  There aren't 6 law schools within 8 miles of Philly.  You have Penn, Temple & Nova - which both place well in Philly, and Rutgers-Camden.  That is 4 accreditted schools and Rutgers doesn't really place all that well in Philly.  A quick look at firms in Philly illustrates this.

Captain

• View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 10:13:11 AM »
[I would be wary of Villanova though. With the addition of Drexel, there are now six law schools within 8 miles of downtown Philadelphia. This may not seem like a big deal now, but it will be annoying when you are applying for jobs in your home market and there is a glut of local law students applying for all of the same things.

(like NYC is different?)

UPenn
Villanova
Temple
Rutgers-C
Drexel

Who am I missing?

Penn students don't always stay in Philly. Temple students don't go corporate as often. Nova students almost exclusively chase the money. Rutgers places as many grads in NJ as Philly, and Drexel isn't accredited yet.

The competition won't be THAT fierce.

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 10:29:06 AM »

Maryland doesn't really place well in Philly.  I briefly considered applying there, but my research convinced me otherwise.

Also, were you considering Widener a Philly school?  It's actually not that close geographically, and it's not really on a level with the other area schools.  Most Widener grads I know of are in local government positions, very few are in the larger firms.  I guess they could technically be considered competition, but I'm not overly worried about it.