Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does Loyola New Orleans = Career suicide???  (Read 1340 times)

kirkcameronsgf

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ever since I can remember, I been poppin' my colla
    • View Profile
Re: Does Loyola New Orleans = Career suicide???
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 12:33:21 PM »
I don't think anyone said it would never happen again.  I believe the idea that people find incorrect is that no one will ever go back there again.

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 12:35:12 PM »
Nobody said it would never happen again - I was basically making fun of you for making up the "scientific consensus", which is an utterly stupid thing to say.
In: Suffolk, Seton Hall($$)
Pending: BC, Brooklyn, Cardozo, George Mason, Ohio State, Temple
Out: Nowhere yet.
2.8/163

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
  • http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 04:21:06 PM »
Loyola N.O. has a killer curve...They have a common and civil division, but most people that attend that school generally have some type of inside track down there. Louisiana definitely is a state composed of who-you-knows. Not saying other places aren't like that, but you better start your job search early, because I knew a bunch of people who went there and as 1l's some of the people who placed in top 10 percent couldn't even find a job that summer.

tenaciousb

• AOL Instant Messenger - CollegiateError
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 04:29:44 PM »
I got an enticing scholarship offer from LoyNola, and Iím stuck in-between Loyola Chicago (15k) and Loyola New Orleans (50k).  I want an adventure, hence the NOLA consideration (Iím from Detroit and been dodging bullets since the ripe-oleí age of 10), but in a post-law school environment, Cash is key.  So, if I take up LoyNola on their offer and attend next fall, is there a good possibility I might be on the street asking one of you guys for change in three in a half years?  What da ya tink mon?

Note: Subjective thoughts are fine (even though they typically originate from the bunghole), but I would prefer something of a more objective nature, i.e., if ya know people, what you have heard through the grape vine, et cetera et ceteraÖ

Word.

I'm apparently part of the Jim Jones class of 07 because i'm headed down there.  just because you go there doesn't mean you have to stay.  also, the last devastating hurricane before katrina was in the early 20th century.  by some people's suppositions, people should really avoid california in the next decade because it will be leveled.
Loyola New Orleans Class of '10

tenaciousb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 04:32:35 PM »
I got an enticing scholarship offer from LoyNola, and Iím stuck in-between Loyola Chicago (15k) and Loyola New Orleans (50k).  I want an adventure, hence the NOLA consideration (Iím from Detroit and been dodging bullets since the ripe-oleí age of 10), but in a post-law school environment, Cash is key.  So, if I take up LoyNola on their offer and attend next fall, is there a good possibility I might be on the street asking one of you guys for change in three in a half years?  What da ya tink mon?

Note: Subjective thoughts are fine (even though they typically originate from the bunghole), but I would prefer something of a more objective nature, i.e., if ya know people, what you have heard through the grape vine, et cetera et ceteraÖ

Word.

PS - I'm currently in Lansing in grad school but grew up in Grand Rapids and went to Michigan for undergrad.  if you end up going there, lemme know.  might be nice just for the sake of bullshitting with beer.

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 04:51:27 PM »

Much of New Orleans IS a ghost town right now. The post Katrina population is well below pre Katrina numbers.

But you guys are right. The levees are incredibly well built. Hurricanes never strike twice. FEMA's response was awesome and New Orleans is completely back on its feet. It'll never happen again.

Really? We were hit by 3 in 2004 (Charlie, Frances and Jeanne). That was year I bought my first house  :-\  Of course, since then there have been several tornados...Trust me, I'll take the hurricanes!!!

Seriously, though, the "hurricane point" is worth considering. If the local economy suffers, it will obviously be tough to find a job locally, at least in the short-term. Although, if they (NO) offered you 50k (assuming that's for all three years) that almost brings them on par with a state school, right? My point is, it's not like you are taking on a whole bunch of debt so I think you should go for it if you want to go there.
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

korhashamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 05:12:41 PM »
i was just in new orleans over the weekend, and i thought the place was full of charm and character.  the uptwon area around tulane and loyola are beautiful.  had the U.S. Corp of Engineers done their jobs properly, the levees should have been able to withstand the force of Katrina.  hopefully, they're gettin it right this time around.  if a nation like dubai can build massive man-made islands off its coast, then the united states of america should have no problems allocating the resources necessary to build EFFECTIVE levees. 

living in new orleans these days requires a bit of resiliency and a special sort of fighting spirit that not everyone possesses.  i'm probably gonna be there this august and sincerely look forward to it.

tenaciousb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 05:31:49 PM »
i'm probably gonna be there this august and sincerely look forward to it.

for which school?

korhashamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 05:59:12 PM »
im goin to tulane.

justbu82

• "it's like Technoligy v. Horse"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 06:11:54 PM »

Much of New Orleans IS a ghost town right now. The post Katrina population is well below pre Katrina numbers.

But you guys are right. The levees are incredibly well built. Hurricanes never strike twice. FEMA's response was awesome and New Orleans is completely back on its feet. It'll never happen again.

Really? We were hit by 3 in 2004 (Charlie, Frances and Jeanne). That was year I bought my first house  :-\  Of course, since then there have been several tornados...Trust me, I'll take the hurricanes!!!

Seriously, though, the "hurricane point" is worth considering. If the local economy suffers, it will obviously be tough to find a job locally, at least in the short-term. Although, if they (NO) offered you 50k (assuming that's for all three years) that almost brings them on par with a state school, right? My point is, it's not like you are taking on a whole bunch of debt so I think you should go for it if you want to go there.

Thanks yaíll (staring to work on my southern vernacular).  Good advice, good advice.  I guess Iíll drive down and visit, and if all is well, Iíll use that 50k golden ticket.  Lets see what you got Mother Nature?  I beat you once in the third grade, i can do it again!!!
"I was born to hustle roses down the avenues of the dead"