Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does Loyola New Orleans = Career suicide???  (Read 1374 times)

justbu82

• "it's like Technoligy v. Horse"
    • View Profile
Does Loyola New Orleans = Career suicide???
« on: March 14, 2007, 11:35:21 AM »
I got an enticing scholarship offer from LoyNola, and Iím stuck in-between Loyola Chicago (15k) and Loyola New Orleans (50k).  I want an adventure, hence the NOLA consideration (Iím from Detroit and been dodging bullets since the ripe-oleí age of 10), but in a post-law school environment, Cash is key.  So, if I take up LoyNola on their offer and attend next fall, is there a good possibility I might be on the street asking one of you guys for change in three in a half years?  What da ya tink mon?

Note: Subjective thoughts are fine (even though they typically originate from the bunghole), but I would prefer something of a more objective nature, i.e., if ya know people, what you have heard through the grape vine, et cetera et ceteraÖ

Word.
"I was born to hustle roses down the avenues of the dead"

windycindy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Burn this!
    • View Profile
Re: Does Loyola New Orleans = Career suicide???
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 02:12:37 PM »
I got an enticing scholarship offer from LoyNola, and Iím stuck in-between Loyola Chicago (15k) and Loyola New Orleans (50k).  I want an adventure, hence the NOLA consideration (Iím from Detroit and been dodging bullets since the ripe-oleí age of 10), but in a post-law school environment, Cash is key.  So, if I take up LoyNola on their offer and attend next fall, is there a good possibility I might be on the street asking one of you guys for change in three in a half years?  What da ya tink mon?

Note: Subjective thoughts are fine (even though they typically originate from the bunghole), but I would prefer something of a more objective nature, i.e., if ya know people, what you have heard through the grape vine, et cetera et ceteraÖ

Word.

I don't believe such a question can be answered objectively. But I'll try. New Orleans is built below sea level. Another hurricane will strike eventually and New Orleans, sadly, will largely be a ghost town. Sadly, it's a city on the decline.

kirkcameronsgf

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ever since I can remember, I been poppin' my colla
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 02:34:08 PM »

Word.

I don't believe such a question can be answered objectively. But I'll try. New Orleans is built below sea level. Another hurricane will strike eventually and New Orleans, sadly, will largely be a ghost town. Sadly, it's a city on the decline.

Yes.  This must be true.  It also stands that Fort Worth and Oklahoma City are in tornado alley, so another tornado will strike these cities eventually and everyone will leave and never come back.  ::)

Anyway, I know nothing about either of those schools unfortunately...  but I think you can at least stay in Louisiana for a bit if you go to LoyNola.

windycindy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Burn this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 04:01:16 PM »

Word.

Yes.  This must be true.  It also stands that Fort Worth and Oklahoma City are in tornado alley, so another tornado will strike these cities eventually and everyone will leave and never come back.  ::)

Anyway, I know nothing about either of those schools unfortunately...  but I think you can at least stay in Louisiana for a bit if you go to LoyNola.

Please! The current scientific consensus is that hurriance activity in the area will increase and that the decrease in wet land buffer zones in the region, having largely disappeared, will result in more Katrina-like events. That's as objective as it gets. New Orleans has not recovered from Katrina and, given another event (which is expected) will be even more devastated. Your tornado anology was glib at best. Are you comparing the effects of Katrina to tornados? Has Oklahoma City ever been completely evacuated due to a tornado? And, almost two years later, was Oklahoma City still nearly empty? Lawyered.

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 04:35:17 PM »

Word.

Please! The current scientific consensus is that hurriance activity in the area will increase and that the decrease in wet land buffer zones in the region, having largely disappeared, will result in more Katrina-like events. That's as objective as it gets. New Orleans has not recovered from Katrina and, given another event (which is expected) will be even more devastated. Your tornado anology was glib at best. Are you comparing the effects of Katrina to tornados? Has Oklahoma City ever been completely evacuated due to a tornado? And, almost two years later, was Oklahoma City still nearly empty? Lawyered.

WAIT! You have to get out there and spread the word! If there's a "SCIENTIFIC CONSENSUS" that NO will be destroyed, people must know! You know there are people living there right now??? GET ON THE NEXT FLIGHT DOWN THERE!!!!
In: Suffolk, Seton Hall($$)
Pending: BC, Brooklyn, Cardozo, George Mason, Ohio State, Temple
Out: Nowhere yet.
2.8/163

justbu82

• "it's like Technoligy v. Horse"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 05:51:48 PM »
Ok, the looming demise of NOLA is way subjective; if there was no chance for the city, then 98% of the large businesses wouldnít have returned thus far!  I guess this is my fault, and the question merits clarification: I know odds are you canít get to objective, however, the less bull-crap you pull out from your ass or the less links in-between the information and you (i.e., telephone game), the better.  So I guess what I am asking is who do you know that goes to the school (maybe through one or two degrees of separation, tops) and what did they say about the school?  Did they get a good job (in NOLA, Houston perhaps) or did they end up a festival kiosk whore (what is there like 20 billion festivals in NOLA each year), and how much did they make?  Iím not looking for us news statistical regurgitations or nostradamus-esque predictions of NOLAís future, just some cold hard employment facts from what you have heard directly (or semi-directly); I need the info here people. 

Thanks!   
"I was born to hustle roses down the avenues of the dead"

windycindy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Burn this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 07:32:10 PM »

Word.

WAIT! You have to get out there and spread the word! If there's a "SCIENTIFIC CONSENSUS" that NO will be destroyed, people must know! You know there are people living there right now??? GET ON THE NEXT FLIGHT DOWN THERE!!!!

I'm looking for the part in my post where I said New Orleans would be destroyed. Can't seem to find it.

Funky Cold Hrdina

• Sr. Citizen
  • Relative Anonymity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 10:39:01 AM »

Word.

I'm looking for the part in my post where I said New Orleans would be destroyed. Can't seem to find it.

I've bolded what you're looking for.
You're welcome.

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 10:45:39 AM »

I got an enticing scholarship offer from LoyNola, and I’m stuck in-between Loyola Chicago (15k) and Loyola New Orleans (50k).  I want an adventure, hence the NOLA consideration (I’m from Detroit and been dodging bullets since the ripe-ole’ age of 10), but in a post-law school environment, Cash is key.  So, if I take up LoyNola on their offer and attend next fall, is there a good possibility I might be on the street asking one of you guys for change in three in a half years?  What da ya tink mon?

Note: Subjective thoughts are fine (even though they typically originate from the bunghole), but I would prefer something of a more objective nature, i.e., if ya know people, what you have heard through the grape vine, et cetera et cetera…

Word.

You're welcome.

:D :D :D

/lawyered

windycindy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Burn this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 12:32:08 PM »

Word.

You're welcome.

Much of New Orleans IS a ghost town right now. The post Katrina population is well below pre Katrina numbers.

But you guys are right. The levees are incredibly well built. Hurricanes never strike twice. FEMA's response was awesome and New Orleans is completely back on its feet. It'll never happen again.