Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pace, Hofstra, New York Law School, or CUNY  (Read 545 times)

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
Pace, Hofstra, New York Law School, or CUNY
« on: March 14, 2007, 09:24:36 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm still waiting to hear back on admission from these schools, but I am going for Public interest and wanted to know what opinions are out there on these ny schools.

Now obviously, it would be better to go to NYU, Fordham, Columbia, or Cardozo, but as I would never be admitted to those schools, please don't say as much.

Does one have better facilities?  Atmosphere? 
How about administration?  CUNY seems a little in the dark ages technologically from an admissions end, but is that what the campus is really like?

Also for Pace, how bad of a commute is it from White Planes to NYC?  Is it is realistic to live in White Planes and extern in the city?

Any help would be great.  I will be unable to visit before making a decision, so I'd love to steal the information you all have recieved.  I live in Florida where commutes take forever, and the nearest large town/city is always 2-4 hours away.  I'm not used to the distances up north and if things are practical commutes or not. 

Thanks.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pace, Hofstra, New York Law School, or CUNY
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 10:17:23 AM »
While I can't talk about the other schools you've mentioned, I can tell you that Hofstra is located in a typical suburban area. Although it's right off of a major parkway (the Meadowbrook parkway... one of the main N/S parkways on Long Island). I've heard that the off-campus student housing isn't that great @ Hofstra (and if it's where I think it is, that's pretty accurate, neighborhood-wise), but I know that Hofstra has on-campus housing (not sure if that's open to law school students or just undergrad). For commuting purposes, it's easy enough to get to Hofstra if you live locally.
I've only been to Hofstra for the LSAT and a Kaplan pre-law 101 class (a 1 night freebie they offer), but the campus itself seemed nice. It doesn't feel detached from the undergrad classes the way other law schools do (then again, I'm an old foggie non-trad). I do know that the law school is moving most of it's classes to a different building... it was still under renovation as of  Sept '06, but I imagine that it will be done by Sept '07.
Good luck,
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

ADL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 10:33:43 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm still waiting to hear back on admission from these schools, but I am going for Public interest and wanted to know what opinions are out there on these ny schools.

Now obviously, it would be better to go to NYU, Fordham, Columbia, or Cardozo, but as I would never be admitted to those schools, please don't say as much.

How about administration?  CUNY seems a little in the dark ages technologically from an admissions end, but is that what the campus is really like?

Also for Pace, how bad of a commute is it from White Planes to NYC?  Is it is realistic to live in White Planes and extern in the city?

Any help would be great.  I will be unable to visit before making a decision, so I'd love to steal the information you all have recieved.  I live in Florida where commutes take forever, and the nearest large town/city is always 2-4 hours away.  I'm not used to the distances up north and if things are practical commutes or not. 

Thanks.

ADL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 10:37:20 AM »
Hi guys,

Thanks.

CUNY doesn't have a campus.  It has one bldg & is located next to a h.s. on a busy street in Flushing Queens.

the commute from White Plains to NYC is about 25-30 min.  it's absolutely doable to intern in Manhattan & live in White Plains.

i'm in the process of setting up visits to the same schools as well, (going to NYLS next mo.) so when i find out more, i'll let you know.

OConnorScribe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 10:40:02 AM »
CUNY is supposed to be fabulous for public interest ... it's their main hook. Pace also seems strong in that regard; I most likely am attending Pace, and thus far I like what I'm learning about their clinical program.

White Plains is not that far from the city, actually. It's a 30-45 minute ride by train, depending on whether you catch the express or not.
Pace '10

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 01:16:21 PM »
Thanks for all of the help.  It is so difficult going on Viewbooks for this process.

bboyspekz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, that is me in Union Sq, NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 02:10:52 PM »
I am curious to know where you applied...because you do have a shot at some nearby PT Tier 2 programs with your stats...

Either way if those are your only 4 options, your best bet is NYLS with Hofstra a little behind...both regional schools

NYLS does have plenty of good grads in NYC, gotta work your butt off thou...but its possible

Hofstra is really only good for LI however I do know a small firm in the city called the Roth Law Firm (every member is from Hofstra)..I'm sure they're not the only one.

Pace...I went there for UG and I heard the law school is similar, so much lost paperwork and extra hastle. Not worth it unless you want to do Enviro Law

CUNY is Tier 4 so that says enough