Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rejections... I wish they had to tell you why..  (Read 8804 times)

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
Re: Rejections... I wish they had to tell you why..
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 03:05:11 PM »
It isn't in the schools interest to tell people why they are rejected, because at least 95% of the time it is strictly because of numbers/USNWR ranking.

If they told people this it would run contrary to the crap that nearly every school spouts about looking at more than just numbers.

People under their medians would be less likely to apply in the future, thus providing less revenue and a lower rejection rate.

I agree that it's not in the schools' interest to tell you why, but not because it represents a significant loss of revenue. If they get 5,000 applicants that pay $50, that's $350,000 total, which really is peanuts for a school.

I think it's not in their interest because presenting yourself to them correctly is all part of the game.

ptown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 03:11:22 PM »
im sure the higher acceptance rate would be more of a problem for them than the money

Im not really convinced that schools care how you present yourself.  Ive yet to see someone with good numbers that was rejected for being a putz.
Missouri 1L

"I was discriminated against during the college-testing process because I come from a culture that is opposed to filling in circles completely and with firm pressure."

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 03:12:07 PM »
You would then be obligated to write to all of the schools you chose not to attend and explain to them why.  :D

I'd probably make stuff up.

"I found a dead mouse in a salad I ate while at your dining common."

"The voices in my head said 'helllll no'."

"I just found out my ex-girlfriend goes there...and she's now a man."

"I flipped a coin. It was a trick coin so there was no way you'd win anyway, so don't feel bad."

Etc.
In: Suffolk, Seton Hall($$)
Pending: BC, Brooklyn, Cardozo, George Mason, Ohio State, Temple
Out: Nowhere yet.
2.8/163

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 01:37:39 PM »
It isn't in the schools interest to tell people why they are rejected, because at least 95% of the time it is strictly because of numbers/USNWR ranking.

If they told people this it would run contrary to the crap that nearly every school spouts about looking at more than just numbers.

People under their medians would be less likely to apply in the future, thus providing less revenue and a lower rejection rate.

I agree that it's not in the schools' interest to tell you why, but not because it represents a significant loss of revenue. If they get 5,000 applicants that pay $50, that's $350,000 total, which really is peanuts for a school.

I think it's not in their interest because presenting yourself to them correctly is all part of the game.

You forgot one important category of why law schools could reject you...
Poor Math Skills

(5,000 applicants that pay $50, that's $250,000 total...)
;)
Rob

PS: Just kidding! :D
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 02:49:27 PM »

You forgot one important category of why law schools could reject you...
Poor Math Skills

(5,000 applicants that pay $50, that's $250,000 total...)
;)
Rob

Or a typo. 2 and 3 are next to each other.

hth.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Dr. Raoul Duke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 06:35:39 AM »
I got my first rejection (of many, I am certain, just look at my silly LSN) last week from Emory. When I told my mother, she exclaimed, "But WHY?!"  At first I was a little put off, "I don't *know*. How should I know? Because they didn't like me. And most likely because my numbers were too low."  Emory and me ... well, that's easy to understand.

But there are other people whose numbers are within range, and still get rejections. That's gotta be so frustrating. It's like handing in a test and getting it back with an F on it, only the prof didn't bother telling you what you did wrong. Obviously knowing what you did wrong on a test is important pedagogically, and there doesnt seem to be such a necessity with law school apps (unless you are applying again, or are trying to get good at helping other people apply).

But STILL! My mom is right. It'd sure be nice if they pointed at where you went wrong. Obviously I understand the difficulties with this (goodness, they dont even have time to personalize all the acceptances, much less the rejections!), but it'd still be nice to know why. Well, maybe not "nice," but "interesting" at least. 

They could do it by just checking a number or something. 1. LSAT too low. 2. GPA too low. 3. Crappy PS. 4. Not enough diversity. 5. Crappy LORs. 6. We don't take convicted felons. 7. We woulda taken you, but you applied too late in the cycle. 8. No Work Experience. 9. Too young. 10. Not enough leadership roles.  Or worse: All of the above. You suck.

So anyway, just my random middle-of-the-night rant.

I agree completely.  Just a short indication as to what turned them off about your app would suffice. Even though it wouldnt make a difference, it sure would be good to know, just for the sake of mental peace.

Of course, most of the time it is a numbers game, but for many schools (especially in the T10,) numbers dont tell the whole story. 

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 02:11:43 PM »
They could do it by just checking a number or something. 1. LSAT too low. 2. GPA too low. 3. Crappy PS. 4. Not enough diversity. 5. Crappy LORs. 6. We don't take convicted felons. 7. We woulda taken you, but you applied too late in the cycle. 8. No Work Experience. 9. Too young. 10. Not enough leadership roles.  Or worse: All of the above. You suck.

I've thought about this a lot. I agree.
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 03:25:56 PM »

I've thought about this a lot. I agree.

dang dude...you must be bored...how come you're draggin up all these all old threads?

Haha. Yes, definitely bored. But I didn't realize they'd reemerge that way. Sorry about that.  :-[
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.