Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Univ of Miami vs. Ave Maria 25K  (Read 940 times)

SophistAKAted

• View Profile
Univ of Miami vs. Ave Maria 25K
« on: March 14, 2007, 02:55:07 AM »
I need some advice choosing between Ave Maria with a 25,000 Scholarship per year or University of Miami with no scholarship offer so far. The 500.00 non-refundable deposit for Ave Maria is due on April 1st. Please help!!!

Keep in mind Ave Maria is moving to Florida in 2009. How will this affect the Univ of Miami or do you think it would it be a burden on Ave Maria?

I am from California and would love to come back to California after I graduate. Plus I'm use to the wonderful Cali weather which makes Miami seem nicer...but it's not all abou the weather...that 75,000 over 3 years sounds good. Also, how are the grade curves for both of these schools?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

tenaciousb

• AOL Instant Messenger - CollegiateError
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Univ of Miami vs. Ave Maria 25K
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 07:01:29 AM »
I need some advice choosing between Ave Maria with a 25,000 Scholarship per year or University of Miami with no scholarship offer so far. The 500.00 non-refundable deposit for Ave Maria is due on April 1st. Please help!!!

Keep in mind Ave Maria is moving to Florida in 2009. How will this affect the Univ of Miami or do you think it would it be a burden on Ave Maria?

I am from California and would love to come back to California after I graduate. Plus I'm use to the wonderful Cali weather which makes Miami seem nicer...but it's not all abou the weather...that 75,000 over 3 years sounds good. Also, how are the grade curves for both of these schools?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

I would say Miami - Ave Maria is too transitional and highly religious in education and would more or less make sense to go to if that was your reason for going but if not it might be an offering you're not looking for
Loyola New Orleans Class of '10

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 08:50:01 AM »
No one is going to take Miami's reputation away in FL . FL has 9 law schools and Ave would just be #10. They are all pretty regional within the state but Miami and UF graduates are better canidates all over the state because of the rep of the school. With Ave moving to FL, it basically means it's going to be really hard to network with graduates. If you want to go to Ave MAria for other reasons like religion then it would be a good choice- Miami is pretty expensive (tuition and cost of living) so I would take that into consideration also
UMiami c/o 2010

superrob-rp7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 03:25:05 AM »
I don't know much about Ave Maria, but I'm in at Miami and visited last week, so I will give you info on them what I know:

Pretty mean grade curve - the 3L student I spoke with told me the average is C+.  This can restrict the prospect of getting paid 1L summer employments - the paid ones falling to the top 7-10% or thereabouts.  But she also said that it's not that difficult to find unpaid jobs, and it seems most people find some kind of work during the summer.

If you want to work out-of-state after graduation, it is better to find 1L summer work in that place - although that can be slightly difficult without the right network - as a lot of people end up working at their summer employment place upon graduation.  Generally, not a lot of firms from out-of-state will come to the campus for recruiting, because of the costs and yield (most people end up practicing in FL). 

Cost of living - generally quite expensive.  This student room-shares with a fellow student quite far from the campus and pays a reasonable $600($1200 for 2).  But the traffic can be a problem if you have an early class.  And on-campus parking is limited, so you park at a different parking garage and take the school bus from there (a 5 minute ride to the LS).       

Sat in on a Criminal Procedure class, professor employed a softer Socratic method, and most of the students were prepared when called upon.  Atmosphere generally relaxed.  Lots of student interaction going on at the "Bricks" (courtyard where students hang around during the break).

Overall impression - good place to spend 3 years of studying, especially if you want to stay in the area after graduation.  But be aware that it will be expensive.  I'm out-of-state and not wholly convinced of practicing in FL, so I'm keeping my options open for the moment.

And if you are attending the Admitted Students' Day later this month (I'm not), you will obviously learn more.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 01:01:46 AM »
Only go to ave maria if you are the worst kind of religious zealot.

Your not the worst kind of religious zealot are you?

Seriously, Ave Maria belongs in the 5th tier. Miami is a decent school.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 10:20:38 PM »
We have a couple of Ave Maria transfers this year. There biggest complaint leaving iis the uncertainty of the future of the school. IMHO the school founder is nuts for moving the school so soon after acheiving accreditation. I have heard rumours that the move itself could threaten accreditation.

Ave Maria is a risky move.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."