Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What GPA is looked at?  (Read 1622 times)

rlg2182

• AOL Instant Messenger - WeenisComplex
    • View Profile
What GPA is looked at?
« on: September 13, 2004, 03:25:50 AM »
Hello everyone!

Well, I'm currently looking into which schools to apply to, etc, etc.

One thing I am having dificulty in answering: exactly what part of your UGrad GPA schools will look at... will they view your entire UGrad experience, or weigh the last years/units more heavily than, say, your freshman year? I'm curious because I had a rough experience my first year with work and all, and ended up changing my major half way (started BusEcon and went English... BAH on statistics).  ;)

Overall I recovered with a 3.06 gpa overall, but know that for the last 2 years (especially the last year) I was at a 3.30. Will this make any difference whatsoever in the application process, or am I stuck with a 3.06 branded on my head?

???

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What GPA is looked at?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 03:30:23 AM »
For most people, it's probably overall GPA.  But I would think that your case would be different since there is a split, with a higher GPA at the end.  Be sure to explain this is an addendum.  They'll see the breakdown by year and will hopefully consider that in the decision-making process.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

peaseblossom

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 05:31:28 AM »
Don't you wish they would just look at your last two years? I'd be going to Yale if that were the case.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 04:02:29 PM »
Don't you wish they would just look at your last two years? I'd be going to Yale if that were the case.

Ha ha.  I'd have a better chance, that's for sure.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 04:08:41 PM »
I wonder what would happen if we all stormed Yale like the Bastille, thousands of us, with pitchforks and torches.  You think they'd succumb to pressure and let us all in?

ZAP

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 04:18:30 PM »
I wonder what would happen if we all stormed Yale like the Bastille, thousands of us, with pitchforks and torches.  You think they'd succumb to pressure and let us all in?

ZAP

And there's another great idea for getting into Yale.

peaseblossom

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 05:06:47 PM »
HAHA I'm game!

christina

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 08:54:41 PM »
If they looked at the last two years only, I wouldn't be breaking my neck over the LSAT like I am now.  ::) *siiigh*

peaseblossom

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 03:34:50 PM »
I transferred to UCSB and therefore I have a UC GPA and my jc GPA. How will those two work together to form a total UG GPA? I asked my advisor..but I don't think he understood my question and he didn't have time for me to explain it. Any ideas? BTW, UCSB is quarter and my jc was semester.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 03:37:37 PM »
I transferred to UCSB and therefore I have a UC GPA and my jc GPA. How will those two work together to form a total UG GPA? I asked my advisor..but I don't think he understood my question and he didn't have time for me to explain it. Any ideas? BTW, UCSB is quarter and my jc was semester.

Everything will be converted into semester hours and will produce a total UGPA.  But there is a separate degree-granted GPA listed, so they'll see your UCSB GPA separately.  The separate GPA serves two purposes in my mind: for transfer students, separates out the ultimate place they attended; for everyone else, controls for the GPA boost people might try to get by taking easy JC classes to get A's.