Law School Discussion

Tell me everything you can about Temple Law School.

Re: Tell me everything you can about Temple Law School.
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2007, 12:17:42 PM »
Dont get me wrong though, working as a paralegal for a year has been a great experience as it has destroyed my previous notions of what biglaw was all about.  That being said, I still deff want to be an attorney.

You're already ahead of the game then if you've got the inside look on BIGLAW.  Still, make sure you know a bit about your other options too.

FYI, Temple gave me a 12k/yr scholarship contingent on a 2.5 gpa (cant be too difficult even with a 2.85 curve right?).

Congrats on the scholarship.  12k/year is almost half tuition.  A 2.5 GPA should not be difficult to maintain.  That's between a C+ (2.33) and B- (2.67).  I was not a very good exam taker, and I usually got a B- or B for all my studying.  Sometimes I got lucky with a B+ or unlucky with a C+.

Whatever you choose, I wish you the best.

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2007, 09:07:42 AM »
I called and they said no decision has been made on my application and there is no guarantee that I will even find out before the seat deposit deadline.

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2007, 12:50:52 PM »
I'm sorry, Sarahlina, that really makes things difficult.  Especially since you didn't even wait until the last minute to apply.  What are your other options at this point?

Booyakasha2

• Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2007, 12:53:22 PM »
Dont get me wrong though, working as a paralegal for a year has been a great experience as it has destroyed my previous notions of what biglaw was all about.  That being said, I still deff want to be an attorney.

You're already ahead of the game then if you've got the inside look on BIGLAW.  Still, make sure you know a bit about your other options too.

FYI, Temple gave me a 12k/yr scholarship contingent on a 2.5 gpa (cant be too difficult even with a 2.85 curve right?).

Congrats on the scholarship.  12k/year is almost half tuition.  A 2.5 GPA should not be difficult to maintain.  That's between a C+ (2.33) and B- (2.67).  I was not a very good exam taker, and I usually got a B- or B for all my studying.  Sometimes I got lucky with a B+ or unlucky with a C+.

Whatever you choose, I wish you the best.

Thanks....its gonna be tough.

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
Thanks for your sympathies.  I guess I am lucky in that I have another school that I would be satisifed to attend, but Temple is the one school left that I haven't heard from that could really make me change my mind. 

Booyakasha2

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2007, 05:01:52 PM »
Im looking at a bunch of places south of Girard (old city, fairmount, art museum, rittenhouse, etc)...why cant i find a decent apt for under $850 (studio!!!)???  Will it get better later in the summer or is this the going rate?  Im looking at craigslist btw.

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2007, 05:40:30 PM »
Pretty much the going rate.  When I lived in the city (just off Rittenhouse) two years ago, my roommate and I paid $1260 for a 2-bedroom that had been rent-controlled for about a decade, otherwise it would have been at least $1500-1600.  My SO pays $750 for his studio but has been in it for several years now.  Anything with a new lease is going to be more expensive -- unfortunately, rents went up quite a bit this past year.

Booyakasha2

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2007, 06:02:54 PM »
Maybe ill move out to Manyunk....this would help with my parking situation as well.  I deff need a car in case i need to drive home (MD) on short notice.  Any other suburban areas that has good public transportation into Temple?

Journeyman

• The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2007, 06:28:52 PM »
Manayunk may be your best option, although it is kinda costly there too.  The main line (R5) area is good transportation wise, but more costly. 

GraphiteDirigible

• Hey there fancypants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2007, 09:38:35 PM »
Hey, I thought I'd share this with everyone here.

I was talking to a family friend who practices small biz law. He went to WUSTL and is pretty successful, and he has connections in PA/NJ/NY. Anyway, I told him I was decided on Temple and he was like: wo ho ho. I asked him what he meant and he told my Philly had a reputation for particularly tough lawyers. "Barracudas", he said.

So, I thought I'd tell you all, since Temple/Villanova are the two main Philly law schools. Anyway, I'm excited about being from a 'tough market'.