Law School Discussion

Tell me everything you can about Temple Law School.

Re: Tell me everything you can about Temple Law School.
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 01:02:01 PM »
I don't own a car, so that's a good start for me. I do, however, own a pretty sweet mountain bike. I figure there ain't much place to mountain bike round Philadelphia and I sure as hell aint riding that thing to school, so I reckon I'll have to sell it and get a junker. Is this indeed the case?

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 01:23:18 PM »
I don't own a car, so that's a good start for me. I do, however, own a pretty sweet mountain bike. I figure there ain't much place to mountain bike round Philadelphia and I sure as hell aint riding that thing to school, so I reckon I'll have to sell it and get a junker. Is this indeed the case?

There are plenty of places to ride in the area and your bike would be safe at school.  There is a bike rack at the top of the stairs right in front of the school.  No shot it will be stolen there unless you left it overnight and even still there is always security so it might even be safe overnight.

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 01:43:43 PM »
My boyfriend rides his bike on the Schulykill River path, Kelly Drive and in Fairmount Park.  We haven't been to Wissahickon Park yet, but a friend goes there often.  These are all easily accessible from Center City.  A little farther away, there's Valley Forge Historical Park, which is quite pretty, and the Brandywine River Valley on the border of PA/DE is gorgeous.  Nothing truly mountainous, but you'd still want a decent bike to go riding around the parks.  If you're skittish about riding it to school, just get a junker for that and keep your good bike for when you want to take really nice rides.

Also, the SEPTA trains allow bikes during off-peak hours, so you'd be able to get out of the city for a day to go riding if you wanted to.

ks2pa

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 01:57:50 PM »
How much $$$ can you expect to make during your 2L summer?  I am trying to calculate the debt i would incur at Temple vs. another lower ranked school that gave me a full ride.

Booyakasha2

• Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2007, 03:10:48 PM »
Well I just finished paying off this damn car and if i were to sell it - i would be losing money.  Oh, and I love my car and Id like to drive home every now and then (only about 2 hours).

Anyone have a link to these neighborhoods on philly?  Im looking up google maps and cant find a "Center City" anywhere near any rails.  Prolly just blind.  thanks

Booyakasha2

• Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2007, 03:20:41 PM »
I was just writing basically the same reply, and then my computer ate it.

Also, there are very few buildings in Center City that offer parking, and if they do it's usually extra on top of rent.  Otherwise, you have to rent space in a garage or have a PA driver's license and permanent local address to get a street parking permit.  My car was one of the biggest reasons I moved back out of the city - I couldn't get rid of it, couldn't afford a garage, and couldn't deal with street parking anymore.  If you find a place in a nice part of the city with parking and reasonable rent, you're extremely lucky.  Save money and get rid of the car, if you can, or if you need to have a car, I suggest the suburbs.

Or he can leave his car at your apartment for the weekends and you charge him $100 a month.

Ill cook you dinner....i can make some really good guacamole too.

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2007, 05:58:37 PM »
How much $$$ can you expect to make during your 2L summer?  I am trying to calculate the debt i would incur at Temple vs. another lower ranked school that gave me a full ride.

$2400-$2600 a week for Big Law in Philly.  Better be top 20% for that and interview well.

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2007, 06:54:22 AM »
What about the other 80%?  Do they work at smaller firms for lower pay, clerk, or are they just SOL?  I just don't want to count on being at the top of the class and would like to know what people's contingency plans might be.  Also, I'd really like to do the Rome program during the summer between 1L and 2L, but I'm a little worried about finding something productive to do for the rest of the summer, and how that will impact my chances for the summer after 2L.

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2007, 08:13:19 AM »
What about the other 80%?  Do they work at smaller firms for lower pay, clerk, or are they just SOL?  I just don't want to count on being at the top of the class and would like to know what people's contingency plans might be.  Also, I'd really like to do the Rome program during the summer between 1L and 2L, but I'm a little worried about finding something productive to do for the rest of the summer, and how that will impact my chances for the summer after 2L.

Above the median usually can find summer work at small and mid law firms (many don't pay though).  Below the median can also find jobs, but it takes more effort.

Go to Rome.  1L jobs rarely mean anything and if your grades are good a 2L firm won't care what you did 1L all that much anyway.

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2007, 10:14:56 AM »
Temple has an excellent rep for teaching litigation.