Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: again, cookbook for RC  (Read 844 times)

Brian7

• View Profile
    • Email
again, cookbook for RC
« on: September 13, 2004, 03:05:35 AM »
Here again. my RC cookbook. I also hope you could get some picks.

I heavily borrowed some ideas here, especially from Robot. I always feel thankful.

Brian.

When reading passage
- When reading the passage start thinking about how it is structured, and how the writer is going about the "argument"... hypothesis that is being revised?...explanation of a phenomenon?... revision of history?

- If they are, then keep doing this exercise until you  can develop a running dialogue in your head while you are reading the RC passages of "What is the main point of this passage?" "What is the author's point of view?"

- general statement & its elaboration
- thesis & antithesis, and synthesis (views)
- compare & contrast : memorize same & different points
- cause & effect (includes process)
- process (scientific passage) :  underline variables, 
 mark '-->', ' | --> |',  '<-->' between them
 verbs determine a direction between them

- concession
- background info for drawing attention
- question-answer

1. read sentence with emphasis on 'verb'
2. underline, '?' besides incomprehensible sentence.
3. '' besides paragraph keyword
4. review: read each '--->',  draw '===>' besides main theme

- where to mark a underline,  '___'
     : major variables(defined ones), keyword(s) in a specific passage area,
      proper noun(humans, places, books), time, transitions, tones.
- draw '-----> besides keyword of paragraph
- 'view' passage: underline subject of the keyword too.
- line questions : mark '[' besides the line.

- Pause after each paragraph and ask yourself "what was the point of that paragraph?".

- These passages really aren't that boring. The attitude to take here is to find everything interesting. And it is.

- personalize! Be in the situation

- One thing that might help you is the fact that all of these passages are 100% accurate information.  What I mean is that if you were enter the topic of a Reading Comprehension passage in Google there would be real "extra" information that you could read up on the subject.

Right after reading passage
- The two main things you should try to write about are "What was the main point of this passage, why was it written?" and "What was the author's point of view, or opinion, about the subject?"  (though sometimes the passage is only an exposition and the author doesn't have an opinion, but this is infrequent).

- Simply stated, treat each paragraph of the Reading Comprehension passage as if it were a Logical Reasoning "Main Point" question, underline or note the conclusion, and (what I do) before going to the questions reread each conclusion so you understand how the whole passage ties together.  Typically the conclusions I underline are only about a sentence long, but sometimes they can be 2 or even 3 sentences.  The key is to find sentences that read more like opinions and not as facts.

- so you understand how the whole passage ties together.

Approaching Questions
Without referring to passage(It runs around passage structure)
- Questions About the Passage as a Whole (Main Idea, Primary Purpose, Overall Organization)
- Questions About How Things the Author Says Function in Context
- Questions About the Author's Attitude

By referring to passage(Don't care about the structure)
- Questions About What the Passage Says or Implies
- Questions That Require Using Context to Refine Meaning

- Questions That Require the Recognition of Analogous Patterns or Features in Different Factual Settings
- Questions About the Significance of Additional Information

Choosing answers
- the answer choices... make sure to look at the answers in reference to them being too narrow or too broad... most of the time the correct answer will be the one that is in the middle of the spectrum.
166-

magicmatttt

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - magicmatttt
    • View Profile
Re: again, cookbook for RC
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 03:29:51 AM »
Simply stated, treat each paragraph of the Reading Comprehension passage as if it were a Logical Reasoning "Main Point" question, underline or note the conclusion, and (what I do) before going to the questions reread each conclusion so you understand how the whole passage ties together.  Typically the conclusions I underline are only about a sentence long, but sometimes they can be 2 or even 3 sentences.  The key is to find sentences that read more like opinions and not as facts.

great advice!

Brian7

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: again, cookbook for RC
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 03:32:10 AM »
Simply stated, treat each paragraph of the Reading Comprehension passage as if it were a Logical Reasoning "Main Point" question, underline or note the conclusion, and (what I do) before going to the questions reread each conclusion so you understand how the whole passage ties together.  Typically the conclusions I underline are only about a sentence long, but sometimes they can be 2 or even 3 sentences.  The key is to find sentences that read more like opinions and not as facts.

great advice!

oh, that's from Robot's. I just borrowed them.    :)
166-