Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UHouston vs. Washington & Lee  (Read 761 times)

Burz

• View Profile
    • Email
UHouston vs. Washington & Lee
« on: March 13, 2007, 12:36:23 PM »
Anybody have thoughts on this matchup?

Main things are education, ranking, location, and cost. I get in-state tuition at UH, and I love Houston. Don't know much about Lexington.

Do big firms not recruit deep into Houston's class?

whateverlady5555

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UHouston vs. Washington & Lee
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 12:41:48 PM »
tag

<--also curious about UH

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 12:59:16 PM »
Difference in location is so vast that I possibly could'nt find words in the dictionary to describe it.  ???
Washington University School of Law 2010

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 01:46:20 PM »
I have a similar situation in SMU vs. W&L. I'm probably going to start another thread for myself though. I think what it really comes down to is portability. If you are absolutely, 100% that you could live in Houston the rest of your life, UHouston might be a better choice. I don't know whether you're a trad or non-trad, but at least for me, deciding where I want to live for the rest of my life at age 21 is a little daunting, so I'm leaning towards W&L, which would give me a lot more portability. Obviously it's not that black and white, but at SMU, I feel like my best options would always be in Dallas. Also consider that about 10% of W&L alumni go to practice in Texas each year, and it seems like that pretty much consists of Dallas and Houston.
W&L Class of 2010

Burz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 02:02:40 PM »
I have a similar situation in SMU vs. W&L. I'm probably going to start another thread for myself though. I think what it really comes down to is portability. If you are absolutely, 100% that you could live in Houston the rest of your life, UHouston might be a better choice. I don't know whether you're a trad or non-trad, but at least for me, deciding where I want to live for the rest of my life at age 21 is a little daunting, so I'm leaning towards W&L, which would give me a lot more portability. Obviously it's not that black and white, but at SMU, I feel like my best options would always be in Dallas. Also consider that about 10% of W&L alumni go to practice in Texas each year, and it seems like that pretty much consists of Dallas and Houston.

But do Houston firms even recruit that deep into Houston's class?

How well do you have to do at W&L to be recruited by firms in Houston, top 30%?

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 02:29:13 PM »
What I've heard is somewhere between Top 25% - Top Third. I have no idea how far Houston firms recruit into UHouston's class. Are you going to the W&L ASWs this month? Apparently anyone who attends these falls in love with the school.
W&L Class of 2010

Burz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 02:36:50 PM »
What I've heard is somewhere between Top 25% - Top Third. I have no idea how far Houston firms recruit into UHouston's class. Are you going to the W&L ASWs this month? Apparently anyone who attends these falls in love with the school.

I want to, but I don't think it's going to be financially feasible right now.

What's so great about the ASW?

Are you worried at all about Lexington?

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 03:08:32 PM »
The ASW serves two functions.  First, it showcases the school.  Second, it shows that people from all over and from all walks of life can survive and *gasp* even enjoy themselves in Lexington, despite how much people on this board portray it as one step removed from hell.

I agree with Cooley, unless you're a nontrad, the re should be very little debate between W&L and UH. 

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 04:28:30 PM »

I want to, but I don't think it's going to be financially feasible right now.

What's so great about the ASW?

Are you worried at all about Lexington?

Although it's not that much, W&L does reimburse up to $100 for travel expenses to ASWs. You also might try seeing if they would reimburse you for even more.

I do have my reservations about Lexington, but this is the way I look at it: law school is not going to be party central. Even if I were in a really cool city with tons of things to do, I would hardly have time to do that much because I will be studying so much. For example, I have friends that go to GW and NYU and complain that they hardly have any time to enjoy the cool cities that they are living in. What I hear about W&L is that socializing is much more about low-key get togethers at people's houses and apmts, which is my type of socializing anyway. And if you have the rare weekend where you don't have very much work to do, DC is 2 - 2.5 hours away, as are many other cool places to visit.
W&L Class of 2010

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 04:34:46 PM »
I remember talking on the tour with my guide who was from New York and mentioned that for her it was a great 3 year break from NYC. 

However, I have been in VA for the last 6 years and I'm originally from near Philly.  I don't know how much longer I want to stay down in VA, let alone go to school in rural VA.  I know it's a great school, but I feel like I've had my break from Philly.

Would it really be dumb to pass up W&L to go back home and go to Temple/Nova/Rutgers?
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?