Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does your school matter after your 1st job?  (Read 442 times)

skyhigh711

• View Profile
Does your school matter after your 1st job?
« on: March 13, 2007, 10:40:24 AM »
So let's say someone goes to Chicago-Kent, finishes in the top 10%, and lands a big firm job with Kirkland and Ellis (or some other Chicago BIGLAW firm).  Then, let's say, after 2 years they want to go work at Skadden in NYC (or some other NY BIGLAW firm).  Would this be possible?  Generally a degree from Kent is not portable outside of Chicago but does that not matter anymore after a graduate lands a big firm job?  Can they now go anywhere to practice?

berntie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Does your school matter after your 1st job?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 11:08:47 AM »
From what I've heard from the lawyers I've talked to, your grades in law school don't matter at all after your first job, but where you've worked and where you went to law school still matter.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 11:18:08 AM »
From what I've heard from the lawyers I've talked to, your grades in law school don't matter at all after your first job, but where you've worked and where you went to law school still matter.

As a 2L, I have to agree with this. If you are a BigLaw kind of guy, your law school has an impact on your partnership prospects.

In terms of the OPs hypo, I would have to say it is possible but not that likely. Kirkland has a great rep but NY firms like Skadden can afford to be extra picky and may not care. 
In that this is the prelaw board, I will assume you are not in the top 10% and remind you how very stupid it is to anticipate your future class rank.
That being said, if you are top 10% at Kent after your 1L, you will be able to transfer to Chicago/Michigan/NW (if you are staying midwest) which will let you interview directly with Skadden/Whatever Vault 20 Sweatshop You Desire.
Air Force JAG Corps

skyhigh711

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 11:27:30 AM »
I'm not predicting I will be in the top 10% at any school.  I'm just playing the "what if" game.

FunkyzeitmitBruno

• Sr. Citizen
  • please fire this man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 11:30:36 AM »

As a 2L, I have to agree with this. If you are a BigLaw kind of guy, your law school has an impact on your partnership prospects.
In terms of the OPs hypo, I would have to say it is possible but not that likely. Kirkland has a great rep but NY firms like Skadden can afford to be extra picky and may not care. 
In that this is the prelaw board, I will assume you are not in the top 10% and remind you how very stupid it is to anticipate your future class rank.
That being said, if you are top 10% at Kent after your 1L, you will be able to transfer to Chicago/Michigan/NW (if you are staying midwest) which will let you interview directly with Skadden/Whatever Vault 20 Sweatshop You Desire.

How important is the bolded quote? I would imagine your actual ability/performance far out-trumps your school's cache (10 years out when you're up for partnership consideration), but any edge you can get is useful.

Also the school does indirectly affect your job prospects after your 1st job. Top schools tend to do better at clerkships and top firm placement. The "prestige" of your 1st firm will affect your lateralling options.