Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Big Law Question  (Read 537 times)

alexareko

• View Profile
Big Law Question
« on: March 13, 2007, 08:57:04 AM »
Forgive my ignorance, but I was wondering if it is only possible to break into biglaw in the term after one graduates from ls or is it possible to join a firm in the middle of the year after one graduates or whatnot? Thanks.

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Big Law Question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 09:37:58 AM »
I am by no means an expert on this topic, but my impression is that there will be some positions available, although probably not at thes best of the BIGLAW firms...I eman they all take lateral hires, but I doubt there are many slots open for laterals with .5 years of credited experience.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 12:11:47 PM »
What about people who do programs like the BU MS/JD and have to stay an extra semester?
VIP.

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 01:11:20 PM »
What about people who do programs like the BU MS/JD and have to stay an extra semester?

I dunno, does their career services page provide any insight?

Data

• Sr. Citizen
  • They call me Data.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 01:15:50 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, but I was wondering if it is only possible to break into biglaw in the term after one graduates from ls or is it possible to join a firm in the middle of the year after one graduates or whatnot? Thanks.

Register for the Students & Graduates discussion board (see left).  I have a feeling they'd know a lot more with regard to your question than the applicants you might run into here.  Just a suggestion. 
Yale 2010

alexareko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 07:53:59 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I will also ask this quesiton in the other forum and post the answers here - thanks Data.

Yes, I was thinking more of a joint-degree that would end in the middle of the next year, a JD/LLM type thing - and whether that would castrate my chances at biglaw. I have a feeling this will be firm specific.

Thanks again.