Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What to ask and look into when visiting law schools?  (Read 777 times)

h2xblive

What to ask and look into when visiting law schools?
« on: March 12, 2007, 03:50:02 PM »
When making law school visits, what are some questions I should ask the admissions people?  How about random students?

What sort of "exploring" should I do on my own?  Try the food on campus?  Visit downtown?  Talk to the Dean of Admissions for more scholarhip money?  Visit the bookstore and buy a T-shirt?

Basically when you all visit, what are some things you make sure you do, ask, or see for yourself?

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What to ask and look into when visiting law schools?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 05:14:17 PM »
What info do you think would be useful to know when deciding upon a school? On the few visits I made, the most useful info came from catching students in the hall and asking them for the low-down... what do they think of the school, why did they choose it, how cut-throat are their classmates, are the professors accessible, what's the work load like, etc... For 2L's and 3L's, I asked questions about the career center, OCI, student orgs, available electives, etc...
Things like 'food' and the bookstore never even crossed my mind... then again, I'm going PT in the evenings, so I may have different concerns.
Good luck,
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 05:37:53 PM »
How competitive is the school?  Do students openly pass down outlines to underclassmen?  Is there a consolidated outline bank, say with the SBA?  How easy is it to get old exams?  Are the profs open to sharing how to score well on an old exam?  Is there book hiding in the library, or does the library have a reserve system?  How are OCI's determined - by grade or random lottery?  Are there opportunities to write onto law review?

If on scholarship based on staying ahead of the curve, how is the curve designated?  Is it based on the entire 1L class or by sections?  If by sections, how are sections determined?  Randomly or worst case, all scholarship recipients are together?

Financial Aid office: is there any way to change your EFC?  Will they let you take into consideration income you earned last year that determined your EFC you won't be earning this year?  Do they make adjustments for other things?  How hard is this?  Do they grant most any adjustments, or do you need to provide receipts and justification?

Career Services - I would try and ask current students how helpful they are.  I think most CSO's will give you the same schpiel.  I'd be curious to know how many students have good luck with the CSO, or how many have to do the majority of the leg work themselves.

What are you hobbies?  I like to run, so I'd probably try and scope out a running trail or at least see if the campus has a running club or good rec facilities.

And before you leave make sure you grab as many rental or real estate guides.  If you've already been looking online, try and drive to particular neighborhoods to see if you can handle that commute, noise level, etc., or just ask current students where the best places to live are.

The good old standby to any 2L or 3L -- Why did you pick this school?  Would you have done it differently?
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

Ersatz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 05:49:01 PM »
Tag. Great stuff from Boss.

h2xblive

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 07:49:59 PM »
Tag. Great stuff from Boss.

Yeah, thanks!

melisssasue

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - alemanmelissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 08:14:12 PM »
Good questions Boss.  Thanks!

Gopherit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 05:43:09 PM »
UMN '10

Pink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 10:39:05 PM »
tag.  thanks, Boss.  Those are great insights.
HLS '10