Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pre 1L summer job  (Read 3054 times)

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 1L summer job
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 10:19:25 PM »
I plan on getting a job at Home Depot.  If that doesnt work out, i'll just whore myself out.

i tried that.  but when i would tell my price, i would usually get talked down quite a bit. 

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 10:22:26 PM »
I think I'm going to be a nanny this summer.  I'm an accounting major and it's really easy to find internships but being a nanny pays comparably and is far less stressful.

Just be sure not to aggressively shake any of the kids to death.

notmikejones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 10:43:51 PM »
I'll probably be teaching Kaplan LSAT.  I hear it pays at least 15/hour.

My audition: How to Prepare For and Participate in a Gator Football Game.

Was that a pretty easy job to get?  I would assume they might be total LSAT whores for that position, is that about the only criteria?  Also that could be a great job because they won't be surprised when you leave for the summer....kaplan has to know that people scoring well into the top ten percent frequently relocate for law school.

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 02:19:50 AM »
How many people actually get legal-related jobs?  i.e. clerk in a law firm - just to make connections?

I really hope/wish I can keep my current job, but it's pretty much only for undergrad students :(

ImpactPlayer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 12:36:53 PM »
tag

i need a job.

letylyf

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 05:15:43 PM »
Kaplan blows. They pay very little compared to other prep companies, the methods they ask you to teach are complete *&^%, and it's all very disorganized. Get a job at any other prep company you can. (Umm... but they aren't LSAT-whores. I think you just have to score in the 95%ile or whatever it is and above that it really doesn't matter.)

I'm probably going to work in a law firm office, but only because I worked there during high school and it's a pretty simple job. Not doing it for the connections since my hometown is one of the last markets I'd ever search for a real job in.

katrines

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 10:05:48 PM »

Was that a pretty easy job to get?  I would assume they might be total LSAT whores for that position, is that about the only criteria?  Also that could be a great job because they won't be surprised when you leave for the summer....kaplan has to know that people scoring well into the top ten percent frequently relocate for law school.

It's easy to get if you score in the 90th percentile or above, and you demonstrate that you're even moderately comfortable speaking in front of a room.  The training is super easy (five sessions, 4 hours each, like $7 an hour), and you basically read from a script the entire time. Getting the job is easy, but being given an actual class (where you make upwards of $20 an hour for teaching time, and $7 an hour for prep time)is harder.

There were no LSAT spots open at my center, but thanks to my SAT score, I got a gig teaching SAT classes this summer. The teaching pay is a bit less than the LSATs, and I'll have to teach bored high school kids, but whatever. Money is money!  :D

keepitsimple

• Sr. Citizen
  • What else we doing here?
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 10:10:19 PM »
Dude I just got a job as an Assistant Manager at  record Store in Durango Colorado So my Jeep Wrangler and I are going to head west for the summer. But yall have fun teaching the LSAT to people (I'm from ohio and go to school in Nashville so pumped about going west for a bit)

notmikejones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 10:25:08 PM »

It's easy to get if you score in the 90th percentile or above, and you demonstrate that you're even moderately comfortable speaking in front of a room.  The training is super easy (five sessions, 4 hours each, like $7 an hour), and you basically read from a script the entire time. Getting the job is easy, but being given an actual class (where you make upwards of $20 an hour for teaching time, and $7 an hour for prep time)is harder.

There were no LSAT spots open at my center, but thanks to my SAT score, I got a gig teaching SAT classes this summer. The teaching pay is a bit less than the LSATs, and I'll have to teach bored high school kids, but whatever. Money is money!  :D

Thanks for the info!  Do you know anything about how they generally pay people to be individual tutors for LSAT?  I saw that you can apply either as a teacher or as a tutor, I applied as a teacher but put that I may also be interested in tutoring work.  I think I will get an "audition" set up soon and take it from there.  Could be a good job for nights or weekends for some pre 1L extra income (so many expenses!!)

katrines

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 10:29:35 PM »

Thanks for the info!  Do you know anything about how they generally pay people to be individual tutors for LSAT?  I saw that you can apply either as a teacher or as a tutor, I applied as a teacher but put that I may also be interested in tutoring work.  I think I will get an "audition" set up soon and take it from there.  Could be a good job for nights or weekends for some pre 1L extra income (so many expenses!!)

I would imagine it's the same hourly rate as teaching. As far as I know, everyone trains to be a teacher, and then if students request private tutoring hours, they just pull tutors from the group of teachers at that particular center.  So the audition process would be exactly the same, and most likely the training, too.  Definitely ask the director of whatever center you're auditioning at (they have a Q&A session at the audition with him/her) - they'd know much more than me! :)