Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would anyone else like their parents to back off?  (Read 2701 times)

Navygirl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Would anyone else like their parents to back off?
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2007, 11:42:20 PM »
Man,

I think some of our *moms* are long lost siblings.

My dad passed away a year ago and he would have been the one doing the research on all the schools, checking out all of their statistics and rankings, (he went to college and valued education much more than my Mom does), and asking me which ones I liked and why and probably would have wanted to edit (or at least proofread) my PS.

To my Mom's credit, this past summer she went on a road trip with me where we visited a half a dozen schools just so I could check out the location and see if it was a place I could live at for 3 years. 

She's the same way as some of the other Moms...but she has definitely been sending me off more than she can count, so I don't think her acting this way has anything to do with me *leaving* (I haven't lived at home in over 10 years--I'm 27 and just finished a 6 yr. tour in the Navy)  But she keeps pushing Florida Coastal on me.  It's the only acceptance I've gotten so far (but my apps went out late--end of Feb), and she does internet research on Jacksonville--not the school.  She thinks FCSL is the best thing in the world.  She can't understand why I'd want to go to Penn State over FCSL since Penn State is in the "middle of nowhere."

And she does the SAME thing with telling me how smart I am.  Last year at this time when I mentioned how I hope I do well on the LSAT so I have a shot at W&M, she kept telling me that my brother got accepted there so I should too (he was applying for the MBA program, and I don't even have to explain the other differences).  I just sighed.  I really only applied to W&M because she accused me of being a pessimist when I told her I didn't have a chance in hell of getting accepted there.  So I applied just so she sees the stupid rejection letter.   :D

But I agree with a PP, I love her for it, and wouldn't trade her for anyone!
LSAT: 158

Attending:  Georgia State

mae8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2007, 11:48:03 PM »
it's neverending. my dad loves to be involved with the 1l summer job process, its nice to have parents that care but sometimes it can just be too much
Emory '09

mae8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2007, 12:47:48 AM »
I haven't even taken the LSAT yet and my dad is on my back about it.  I made the mistake of telling him what my dream schools were (the main one being Columbia at the time), and now whenever we are at a family function he brings it up.

Dad:  Guess where Loluna is planning to go to law school?  Tell them.
Me:  Well, where I apply depends on how I do on the LSAT in June, and where I end up going will depend on a lot of other things...
Dad:  Come on.  Don't be so modest.  She wants to go to COLUMBIA!  *proud smile*
Family:  Wow... what an arrogant kid, thinks she can get into Columbia even though she hasn't taken the LSAT yet... pshaw.

I love that my parents are supportive, but I've unwittingly gotten my dad's hopes up.

that sucks. thats a lot of pressure
Emory '09

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2007, 03:38:52 AM »
My parents are convinced I'm smart, so I'll get into any law school I want. They don't understand the differences between law schools, except they think Harvard is the greatest school in the world. They also think I'll make $150k starting out of any local t4.

Pugnacious

• Sr. Citizen
  • C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2007, 03:56:55 AM »
My parents have been pretty cool about the whole thing. They are supportive and perhaps overly optimistic - they are convinced I will get off one of my 5 waitlists or that one of my last 3 pending schools (all reaches) will accept me. I keep telling them to get used to the idea that I'll be attending USC or Hastings next year (which imo are great schools) but my dad keeps saying "no, you'll go somewhere better." i guess it's nice that they are so optimistic but I don't think they realize what i'm up against.
My cycle is officially over. Boalt Law 2010!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pugattack

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2007, 04:04:55 AM »
My parents have been pretty cool about the whole thing. They are supportive and perhaps overly optimistic - they are convinced I will get off one of my 5 waitlists or that one of my last 3 pending schools (all reaches) will accept me. I keep telling them to get used to the idea that I'll be attending USC or Hastings next year (which imo are great schools) but my dad keeps saying "no, you'll go somewhere better." i guess it's nice that they are so optimistic but I don't think they realize what i'm up against.

I would just take that USC scholarship and run.  8)
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

Pugnacious

• Sr. Citizen
  • C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2007, 04:07:27 AM »
Hehe thanks. Most likely will, considering Hastings only cause it's in SF and I'd love to live there. But will most likely end up at USC.
My cycle is officially over. Boalt Law 2010!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pugattack

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2007, 06:28:35 AM »
Hehe thanks. Most likely will, considering Hastings only cause it's in SF and I'd love to live there. But will most likely end up at USC.

Also, if you ever decide you like Australian Cattle Dogs I'd love to introduce you to mine. I'm sure he would love you and I wouldn't mind having an intelligent hottie around.  :-*  Seeing as how we both incorporated our dogs into our profiles we might have something in common. Why do you like pugs though? What attracts you to this breed? PM me if you'd like.
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

Irish Jax

• My puppy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2007, 11:17:15 AM »
My parents have been bugging me since I mentioned the idea of going to law school.

When I first sent in my applications, it would be. "Have you heard from any schools yet?" 

"Do not worry, honey. You will get in everywhere you apply." 

After a month of sending in applications, they would ask. "So where do you want to go?"

"I have not heard anything yet," I would say. "It could take a long time to hear anything."

"Did you put in a seat deposit yet?" they would ask.

"No. I have not heard from any schools yet."

Now take it...these conversations would happen DAILY.  It was only December.  Imagine hearing it every day until March or April.  My parents just do not get that it can take a long time to hear from schools. They also dont get that their kid just might be rejected from law schools.

I give up trying to explain that to them.  It is like talking to a wall.

silentlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Selftar for new schoolmates!
    • View Profile
    • WUSTL class of '10
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2007, 01:28:10 PM »

Also, if you ever decide you like Australian Cattle Dogs I'd love to introduce you to mine. I'm sure he would love you and I wouldn't mind having an intelligent hottie around.  :-*  Seeing as how we both incorporated our dogs into our profiles we might have something in common. Why do you like pugs though? What attracts you to this breed? PM me if you'd like.

Creepy thread hijack much?
You can find mey/in St. Lou-ay/where the gun play/rain all day. Nellyville, USA

WUSTL '10