Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Going to law school without visiting first...  (Read 632 times)

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
Going to law school without visiting first...
« on: March 12, 2007, 09:37:36 AM »
Is anyone else stuck with the problem that they are unable to visit the schools that they applied to?  Between work and school (and how I would pay for it), it looks  like the only law school I'm going to be able to visit before I make my decision (and possibly before I move) is my undergrad institution.

Is anyone else in this boat?

If so, what kinds of things are you doing to make it easier to decide between schools?  Is there a certain set of questions you are asking? 

I'm nervous because atmosphere means a lot to me, and I worry that my top choice, Chicago-Kent, might be too corporate-feeling for my taste. 

Any insight?

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Going to law school without visiting first...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 09:44:36 AM »
I've only visited one school so far where I was accepted and probably will only have time to visit one more which is like 30 min from me due to work and school. I'm really glad you asked this question because I am also so lost as to how to decide. None of the schools were my first choice so I have no idea what to do. I'm really curious to hear the answer to this too.

notmad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 11:50:30 AM »
Is anyone else stuck with the problem that they are unable to visit the schools that they applied to?  Between work and school (and how I would pay for it), it looks  like the only law school I'm going to be able to visit before I make my decision (and possibly before I move) is my undergrad institution.

Is anyone else in this boat?

If so, what kinds of things are you doing to make it easier to decide between schools?  Is there a certain set of questions you are asking? 

I'm nervous because atmosphere means a lot to me, and I worry that my top choice, Chicago-Kent, might be too corporate-feeling for my taste. 

Any insight?
[/quote

Several of the schools I've been admitted to offer some form of travel assistance for their asw.  Maybe if you could take a day or so off to go visit wherever you're leaning towards, you'll at least feel more confident in your decision.

Otherwise you might contact someone in the admissions offices and ask if you can be connected with a current student at the law school.  Or, even pose a question about a specific school here and see others impressions from their visits.

Navygirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 01:35:23 AM »
I'm in a similar situation.  I have had the chance to visit 2 campuses of the 14 I applied to, and I honestly don't see a way for me to visit the others because of cost and time. 

I can definitely get a feel for students from the message boards, talking to alum, etc...but my main concern is housing.  I'd like to see some places and take a look at possible areas before deciding on an apt without really getting a chance to check out the location. 

I'll probably end up waiting until I get admissions decisions back from my top choices, then out of those do a general search on the areas, the school, etc. and base my decision on that.  Once I narrow it down to 2 schools, I'll try to visit them if I can.
LSAT: 158

Attending:  Georgia State

HeckBoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • give 'em heck, boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 01:51:38 AM »
I have the same problem. I've visited only like 2 of my schools' campuses unofficially (I was just there visiting friends so I didn't get a chance to see inside the actual law school buildings though). The big problem I had, other than work and school, was the fact that I didn't get some of my acceptances until Spring Break, so I didn't have enough time to plan anything. This concerns me b/c deposits are coming up, and I may be committing to a school I've never been too. My current undergrad's atmosphere is totally not to my liking and I want to avoid this situation again, but I feel I might not totally be able to. ???
Not this year...