Law School Discussion

Can we discuss the debt issue?

Paper Chaser

• http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
Re: Can we discuss the debt issue?
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 01:23:54 PM »
"As far as how it will affect you, I personally think that debt in general limits your enjoyment of life."

I dont know your situation but follow the money. Because people dont realize very often that education today is a business. Looking at the whole situation you have to be business-minded regarding your education. If you know you want to practice in area of law that doesn't make much, why accrue so much debt? I would rather take my chances in the TTT's with tuition at NCCU (3,500 a year) or WVU (9,000 in state) and transfer to a higher tier later if i do well and decide to go BIGLAW. Whatever you decide, good luck!!! ;)

Re: Can we discuss the debt issue?
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 06:27:11 PM »

There's a big difference in COL between Fremont (which is a yuppie Silicon Valley suburb) and Berkeley or Oakland, and there really are affordable and safe parts of Oakland.

Again, not really.  The safe parts of Oakland are not any more affordable than Fremont, or anywhere else around the bay for that matter.  Bay Area real estate is almost uniformly super-expensive unless you live in a real hole.  Go for proximity if you're renting a room.  Trust me.  craigslist.com is the best place to shop for rooms, if you're not already aware of it.

And yes, a motorcycle or scooter is the way to commute no matter where you live.  $200 a year in insurance, $60 to register, 80 mpg., ignore traffic, park anywhere.  The only catch is that you need an M1 or M2 endorsement to your license.  These are easy enough to get, especially the M2 for the scooter.
[/quote]

LOL  ;D I lived in Italy for three years (army duty) and once or twice attempted to ride a scooter and almost broke my neck...so I'm kinda scared of scooters at this point, so I'll definately need the training.