Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school in NC -- WFU ($$) vs UNC  (Read 2199 times)

Old and in the Way

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law school in NC -- WFU ($$) vs UNC
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 10:26:51 AM »
Yeah, but if you're going to school at UNC, you can't live in Durham. They're not close enough together to make it practical. Carrboro, yes. Durham, no.

Um, have you ever been there?  Because I live in Durham and work in Chapel Hill and I'm pretty sure that I don't travel through any other towns on my 6-minute commute.

I've lived in Durham, Carrboro and Chapel Hill and ALL of them are fine places to "commute" to UNC Law. 

Tis true. I, too, live in Durham and work in Chapel Hill. The law school's about ten minutes from my house.

fireplace

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 10:57:36 AM »
Ditto, live in Durham, commute to school.  If I didn't have to do the childcare drop it would be about 17 minutes one way.  Lots of Durham suburbs are closer, like 10-15 minutes.

Dukie07

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 11:44:57 AM »
Southwest Durham, near Southpoint Mall is a particularly good area in terms of location (and resale value if you're interested in buying a house).  Also, there is a park and ride lot for the bus near there on 54, which is pretty sweet since it is supposidely pretty hard to get a parking pass 1L year.

DtuchOven

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 12:06:39 PM »
I'm not saying commuting from Durham isn't possible, I'm just saying it's not ideal for school. Granted, it's been a few years, but when I was in school, I was on and off campus throughout the day, back at home for lunch, etc. Parking at UNC can be a problem, and navigating anywhere around CH at rush hour sucks balls. So, can you do it? Yes, of course. Should you? Eh, I'd say no. Just sayin.

But, yeah dude, Cosmic is closed!

rosey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2007, 10:52:31 PM »
Cosmic? Closed? Unless I'm thinking of something different, I swear some friends and I just had some late night chicken nachos from there less than a week ago...
Penn Law 2010!

smellysox2007

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007, 05:57:16 PM »
fireplace, thanks for the response...sorry so late on the thank you.
Attending: ?
In: Pitt ($$), Temple ($$), Tulane, Miami, UNC
Waitlisted: WUSTL, Emory, UF, UC Davis
Out: Vanderbilt, BC, W&M
Withdrawn: W&L, Cardozo

mccapj2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2007, 11:41:44 AM »
I went to Wake for undergrad, and if they had given me any money it would have been tough for me to leave.  However, I have heard from some people that Wake needs to improve its Career Services office.

jusTTT

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2007, 11:43:15 AM »
Southwest Durham, near Southpoint Mall is a particularly good area in terms of location (and resale value if you're interested in buying a house).  Also, there is a park and ride lot for the bus near there on 54, which is pretty sweet since it is supposidely pretty hard to get a parking pass 1L year.

Also try Hope Valley or Woodcroft. 

trivialine

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2007, 12:20:45 PM »

Also try Hope Valley or Woodcroft. 

be careful though...it is true that you can find cheaper places in durham, but it is definitely more dangerous than ch so you have to stick to a few neighborhoods.
I agree with the Southpoint Mall location...also you could choose to live near duke - there is a free bus that leaves duke campus every half hour or so for unc.

I'm not saying commuting from Durham isn't possible, I'm just saying it's not ideal for school. Granted, it's been a few years, but when I was in school, I was on and off campus throughout the day, back at home for lunch, etc. Parking at UNC can be a problem, and navigating anywhere around CH at rush hour sucks balls. So, can you do it? Yes, of course. Should you? Eh, I'd say no. Just sayin.

But, yeah dude, Cosmic is closed!

I am shocked! Cosmic? Closed? definitely live in Durham then...you will need the 4am burrito goodness! ;)

BlueHeaven07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2007, 12:31:07 PM »
Carrburritos in Carrboro is way better than Cosmic, anyway. Plus, they have flour tortilla chips that are to die for.
Harvard Law School, Class of 2010