Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OCI statistics  (Read 1549 times)

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
OCI statistics
« on: March 11, 2007, 08:10:27 PM »
Where can I find how many firms/agencies participate in on-campus recruiting at a particular school? I know it's sometimes listed on princetonreview.com, but for some schools, it's not. Is there another source, short of asking the career development offices?

Rule of Reason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: OCI statistics
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 12:26:20 AM »
Where can I find how many firms/agencies participate in on-campus recruiting at a particular school? I know it's sometimes listed on princetonreview.com, but for some schools, it's not. Is there another source, short of asking the career development offices?

Here: http://www.nalpdirectory.com/dledir_search_advanced.asp

Click on the schools name, then hit search. Keep in mind that outside the top 20 schools or so most law students do NOT get jobs from OCI. Its about the WORST way to get a job.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? I'm assuming you mean the precentages are just low? I have heard that...

Er was there more to what you were saying?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 02:03:31 AM »
Outside the T20, OCI is generally limited to the top of the class.

At t3/t4 schools, even those who can participate in OCI get few offers. Its generally a bad Idea to limit your job search to OCI.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 08:51:54 PM »
I think what needs to be kept in mind is that for big firms, OCI is primary hiring tool. The largest firms get the vast majority of their new hires from this process. They may not be looking for partner track people, but if what you want is biglaw, than oci is pretty much the way to do it (provided you are at a t20 school where oci actually means something).
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 09:01:27 PM »
Yeah, I think that Matthies may be coming out a bit too strongly against OCI.  It is certainly not the highest percentage method for attaining a job, but I think its very incorrect to assume that all firms doing OCI are just looking for drones, or that they only look for true talent in the lateral market, or that all OCI hires are destined for a life of drone-hood. 

SugarJ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 02:30:09 PM »
Is there any way to see how many students from whichever school interviewed with a certain firm and how many of those students got an offer? (like all the firms interview at T-14... but how many kids at school X actually get offers/interviews)?
Cornell Class of 2011 (deferring for a year!)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=30secondstolaw

mjca83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 02:35:06 PM »
It is true that interviews at OCI are typically 15-30 minutes, but this is just an initial screen.  To actually get a job, you need to go on 2 or 3 more interviews.  That's because firms are looking for quality lawyers, not just looking for "worker bees." 

Here: http://www.nalpdirectory.com/dledir_search_advanced.asp

Click on the schools name, then hit search. Keep in mind that outside the top 20 schools or so most law students do NOT get jobs from OCI. Its about the WORST way to get a job.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? I'm assuming you mean the precentages are just low? I have heard that...

Er was there more to what you were saying?

OCI is the legal equivalent of a job fair. You post you resume, the school or employers decide who you interview with, then you have 15-30 mins to make your case. No one in the real world would expect to find a job like that. OCI is notoriously ďwarm bodyĒ filling. They are looking for folks to fill empty spaces, not so concerned about you actually being successful or moving up there.

I donít know a single practicing lawyer who still works for the same firm they started with. Ask around, five years after the fact I doubt you will find anyone who says they are still with an OCI placement. Thatís five years of partner track wasted. Youíre a worker bee, nothing more if thatís how you get your job. And next year there will be new OCI worker bees to take your place. If that firm wants partner material, they will headhunter it out.

Plus any place doing OCI at your school is doing OCI at other schools for the same jobs.

Get to know working lawyers as soon as you can once you start school. In fact I believe this is far more important than joining clubs or other student activities (networking with your classmates pays low dividends). Law is very who you know driven. The best law jobs wonít be advertised, the best applicants will be referred by a lawyer who knows another lawyer who is looking for a law student. Thatís the best way to find a good, successful job you will be happy at and likely to stay at for longer periods of time.

OCI is just long odds, for (very often) peon jobs, with not much job security. It should be your last choice, not your first option. (Although going though the process is great for building you interview and resume skills).

Is this true for ALL OCI firms, no, but figuring out which one wants good lawyers, and which one wants simply workers is hard to do. In the end, its long odds, not much choice, risky, and just plain the worst way to land a decent legal job.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 02:35:52 PM »
Is there any way to see how many students from whichever school interviewed with a certain firm and how many of those students got an offer? (like all the firms interview at T-14... but how many kids at school X actually get offers/interviews)?

A lot of that data can be found on xoxo.

Matthies, it may be true that the great majority of OCI hires don't make partner, but is there any reason to believe you will become a partner faster by finding a job not through OCI?  I would also imagine at top schools, where almost everyone who works at a firm finds his job through OCI, it would be odd to come straight out of school and work for a firm that did not recruit you on campus.  
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

SugarJ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 02:47:02 PM »

Matthies, it may be true that the great majority of OCI hires don't make partner, but is there any reason to believe you will become a partner faster by finding a job not through OCI?  I would also imagine at top schools, where almost everyone who works at a firm finds his job through OCI, it would be odd to come straight out of school and work for a firm that did not recruit you on campus. 

Ooooooooh I ventured there once and ran away faster than a matzah ball at passover
Cornell Class of 2011 (deferring for a year!)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=30secondstolaw

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 02:48:40 PM »

Matthies, it may be true that the great majority of OCI hires don't make partner, but is there any reason to believe you will become a partner faster by finding a job not through OCI?  I would also imagine at top schools, where almost everyone who works at a firm finds his job through OCI, it would be odd to come straight out of school and work for a firm that did not recruit you on campus. 

Ooooooooh I ventured there once and ran away faster than a matzah ball at passover

WGWAG!!
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.