Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rutgers-Newark vs. Seton Hall  (Read 3647 times)

ETernalBuddha

• View Profile
    • Email
Rutgers-Newark vs. Seton Hall
« on: March 04, 2004, 07:32:43 PM »
Have been accepted at both. Any opinions on which is better/different/etc?

ETernalBuddha

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rutgers-Newark vs. Seton Hall
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 10:01:20 AM »
Anyone? ANy opinions at all?

marcman

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.85/166
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 11:13:24 AM »
I haven't visited Seton Hall so I cant speak to it specifically, but the only comment I can properly funrish is that I personally don't think highly of the city of Newark. I have visited Rutgers there though and I though it was sort of an oasis in the middle of the ghetto. As for the schools themselevs, I think neither is bad. Rutgers is slighly more prestigious but Seton Hall has a great (local/state) clerkship program. With their rankings so negligable I would choose the one I personally liked more or got $ from, etc. 
good luck with your decision.

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 09:36:14 PM »
seton hall is in a crappy area, but then again, camden is crappy too haha

take which one gave u the better offer

Victor

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 10:24:15 PM »
seton hall is in a crappy area, but then again, camden is crappy too haha

take which one gave u the better offer

Camden is crappy indeed.

mailboxobsessed

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 04:33:25 AM »
I went to Rutgers Newark undergrad school adn have been acccepted to the law school, in my opinion, Rutgers is the better choice because of the name.  In N.J. it doesn't make that big of a difference, but when you leave NJ, very few people know what Seton Hall is, while Rutgers is one of the most recognized names in the country.

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 02:08:15 PM »
Hey "mailbox", I've applied to RU law too. Not sure if it's my 1st or 2nd choice (UCONN). What other school did you apply to and what where the deciding factors that convinced you on RU? Did you go visit the law school? Let me know if you can.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

scolomon

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 02:52:49 PM »
seton hall has an absolutely insane clerkship rate in NJ. It is second in clerkships to yale. Why? Because most of the judges in NJ graduated from Seton Hall and they look after their own.  If you are after a clerkship no doubt about it go there. If you don't believe me look at the ABA book or a baarons law school book. The statistics are ridiculous...ridonkulous even

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 11:24:45 PM »
I think they're both very good choices for instate practice, but I have no idea how either school fairs outside of NJ.  I haven't looked at either school personally, but I know two people who transferred out of Rutgers after 1L and went on to top five schools (NYU and CLS) so that may be a worthwhile consideration.  Beyond that, I'd say choose whichever school you like better, since both schools have great relationships with the NJ bench, and fed judges sitting in NJ, and both schools are mainstays of NJ firms.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

mailboxobsessed

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2004, 12:42:03 AM »
hey NJ law guy, I missed the deadline for the Rutgers deposit.  It's really odd, it was 4/1 for me, and yesterday they emailed me asking if i was still interested and that i was currently under consideration for a full scholarship (they originally gave me about half).  I had crossed RU off my list, but if i get this scholarship i may very well end up there, i could commute and literally would graduate from law school debt free.  It's very tempting :)
163/3.85, also accepted to American, Baylor, University of Oklahoma, Ave Maria, Temple.  Waitlisted at BU. 
Are you going to go to Rutgers?  What do you think of the reputation? Have you visited it?