Law School Discussion

z

The Pookie

• the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
Re: Law School Shopping List
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 05:53:02 PM »
i'm friends with a moving man = mucho savings.

Para Legal

• Go Pipers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 06:00:12 PM »
I am seriously not taking anything that doesn't fit in my car.

Current packing list:

Clothing
Bedding
Laptop
iPod
Cell phone
Triathlon gear
Beloved Trek
Abridged Library
Backpack/Supplies Foisted From Employer
Coffee Maker
Laundry basket (maybe)
Kitchen Essentials (utensils, gadgets, glasses, plates)
Cooler for road beverages

The rest will be purchased when I get there...I'm going to Ikea the furniture so I can preorder and pick up when I get where I'm going...a mattress, boxspring and frame can be had in short order.

If I'm headed to Houston, I have an Underground Railroad which will shelter and feed me for free for the 2 nights it will take to get down there from my current locale.

Out of pocket expenses:

Tune up and four new tires for vehicle: $600
Gas for the trip (1100 miles/400 mi per tank = 3 tanks x 15gal =45 gals x $2.50/gal) = $113.50
Snacky thingees (bananas, beef jerky, Lil' Debbies, bagels) = $20
Fast Food = $50
12 pack 24oz Dannon Water: $8 at market before I leave

Grand Total: $795

Plus emergency cash.

Cheers,

Para  ;)

Boss

• You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 06:03:27 PM »
I'm currently stockpiling everything I can that's non-perishable that I might need during the year. At some point I'll try to buy all of the personal items I need: toothpaste, toothbrushes, razors, etc.
The hardest part of moving is going to be parting with my library. It's probably just wasted effort to lug 700 or so books to a tiny studio for no reason other than company. We'll see.

I've got a huge stockpile, but depending on the locale we move to, if we have to downsize, I think I'm going to part with most of it now to save the hassle of moving it.  And most of it was all free of some sorts -- coupons, hotel samples, care packages, etc.

Regardless of downsizing or not, knowing that the price of moving is based on how much you move, we're going to try and sell as much as possible before we leave.  We'll keep the necessities, but the hodge podge of furniture and 13 inch tv's left over from our college days that's hanging out in our "guest" room will probably be craigslisted and most books going to Half Price books.  Oh I can't wait to clear out the clutter!!

So expenses...
Deposits for utilities
Are you trying to get residency?  Money to get license, car registration, etc, changed to that state.
Do you live in a rental now?  Money to pay for final cleaning, carpet shampooing, whatever is required for move-out.
Campus parking pass -- from what I hear most of the times go on sale before school starts, so loan money might not be in yet
Don't you have to pay the bar association for intent to study law?  Is this paid after loans have been deposited?  Usually requires a finger print card, which may cost money depending on your school -- usually $20.

.zone.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 06:09:39 PM »
This thread has made me not want to move...ever. :-[

Matokah

• Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 09:16:33 PM »
Wow, Para.  That's amazing. :)

I'm making it a goal of mine to get rid of 1/2 of the clothing I own.  I haven't changed sizes much (especially in tops!) since about 8th grade, so I just stockpile crap I never wear.  I figure I can go to a place like Plato's Closet and try to get some money for it, and whatever they don't want, I'll bring to Good Will.

I have no idea what to do about my books.  My parents have about 4 floor to ceiling bookshelves-worth of books already in storage and my BF and I have 4 more of the same size here that are overflowing.  I think I only take up 1 of those bookcases, though, so I'll probably pack the old Neuroimaging and Biopsych clunker textbooks away and just bring the stuff I enjoy reading.  Wherever I go had better have a LOT of closet space.

Luckily, the two pieces of living room furniture (is that spelled wrong?  Maybe I'm tired, but that looks off) aren't mine, so I can purchase something cheap once I get where I'm going.  Unfortunately, I idiotically spent $1200 on a captains bed with a backboard and a nightstand as a sophomore in college, and that's going to be a challenge to unbuild and move with me.  I really love the mattress and bed, though! ;)

Gawd, the list goes on.  I have so much stuff, even though the apartment I'm in isn't very large.  Probably why everything's overflowing.  I guess I could chuck some of the shoes I never wear, too, even though it'll be like pulling teeth.  ;D

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 08:13:31 AM »
This thread makes me want to go to the school that's 25 mintues up the road. I moved 3 times in 18 months (UG to home. Home to own apt. 3 months later. Apt. to b/f's house a year after that). I HATE moving!

If I stay in town my list is:
Laptop
Desk
Chair

If I move my list is:
Laptop
Desk
Chair
Bed
Sofa/living/dining room furniture
Dishes
Rent
Utilities.

Ugh...

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2007, 08:30:40 AM »
I can only take what can fit into suitcases.  I'll probably pack the usually two, then get family members to bring up a few extra. My purchases depend on what type of housing I get.

Necessary:
Plane ticket       
Laptop
Printer (maybe)           
Cute laptop bag   
Zipcar membership           
Kitchen stuff (pots/pans, dishes, small appliances (foreman grill!, etc)     
Bedding
Random bathroom crap (shower curtains, bath mats, etc)
The list goes on...

If unfurnished apartment:
Bed
Mattress
House full of furniture

Paper Chaser

• http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2007, 09:01:12 AM »
SHOPPING LIST

U-haul from Charlotte to Morgantown (the farthest school away, already have a reservation to tow Jeep and rent truck)...$400

New snowboard and skateboard...???

Nice Desk...$200

Rent w/Deposit...$1500 (Hopefully though I can rent a house for about 600.00 a month)

New PDA...$100

WVU Football Helmet with BCS Championship sticker...$140

Ultraportable Laptop...$1750(charge to credit card)

Gas for other car...$80

Seat Deposit...$400

Rolling backpack...$75

Snow or All-Weather Tires for Jeep...$600