Law School Discussion

z

Matokah

• Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
Re: Law School Shopping List
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 01:14:13 PM »
I'm trying to figure out my budget for moving, too, and it's scaring me.

I guess my main issue is that I need a new pair of figure skates.  This doesn't sound essential, but if I want to coach during law school to help cut back on costs, then I need new skates.  I've had my current ones for almost 3 years, and they're breaking down big time.  I don't want to break an ankle or something.

So, for me to move (assuming I go to Sacramento):

-$650 for skating boots
-$1400 for July rent (estimated $700 for the month of July and $700 for the deposit/pet deposit)
-$300 for food for July and August before school starts (I can seriously live off bowl-appetites for months on end.  And milk.  I need milk, too).
-$110 to renew my membership with United States Figure Skating Organization.  I can't let that lapse or else I can't skate all summer.
-$120 for coaches insurance.  I could wait on this until September, but the contract runs July through June, so I'd be wasting two months worth of money
-$600 for car payment and insurance for July and August
-An undetermined amount to rent a U-Haul and get my crap out to CA (okay, I just checked and it's going to cost approximately $900 to move with the smallest and cheapest UHaul option  :o)

What does that bring me to?  $4080.  Now if I skipped the coache's insurance and just bought an ISI (Recreation Skating Association) membership which I think is only $15-20, that'll knock me down to $3850.  It's still more than I can feasibly afford.

It does look like I could pay substantially less for a trailer that is hitched behind my car, but I don't know if my little Kia Spectra5 is set up to do something like that.  I know nothing about cars.  Can I buy a hitch to connect to my car, or if it doesn't have one, am I out of luck?

It's kind of scary to think about all this stuff.  I know it's necessary, but boy is it expensive!

ETA: Oh yeah, and about $1200 for a laptop since my 7 year old Toshiba is not going to hack it. :P

Team Pam

• "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 11:37:10 PM »
If you're not living in a dorm,  you might need: Furniture, cable (??), internet.

I might need a new printer, since mine will be out of toner by then and buying new toner for this thing is more expensive than just getting a new printer. Speaking of which, anyone know a site where you can get those ink refills?

New clothes is right: If I go somewhere colder than Texas (basically everywhere) I'm gonna need a few more "warm clothes."  Bah.  Oh well, at least it'l lbe fun to shop!

Any excuse for new clothes!!!! I guess this means I better maintain my weight and size for all of law school.  this will be challenging.
YAY for outlet malls!

Totally credited.

Also, question -- are y'all planning on getting a new cell phone number? I've had this number since 1994! I'm so unwilling to part with it. Its inconvenient for people to have to call me on a line that is long distance, though.  Usually not a problem if they are calling from a cell phone, but that just isnt always the case. I guess the thing to do is get a land line with a local number. I feel like you've GOTTA have at least one local number, especially for giving to prospective employers.

I hadn't thought about this as an issue, if only because I've kept my high school phone and # throughout four years of college not in that area code, most years not having a local phone number. I feel like enough people have cells or free long distance that it's not an issue.

The fact that you had a cell phone in high school makes me feel so very, very old.   :-\

Last King of Edinburgh

• Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 05:32:46 AM »
Moving expenses $400? Where are you movin' to, next door? ;)

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 07:10:41 AM »
Heh. Not till junior year, and then it was only because I went to Israel for the semester and needed one!

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 04:03:02 PM »
Flight- $200
Some snazzy new clothes including 2 suits just in case --- $750
New, smaller, laptop --- $1,000 (i may try to get away with my year and a half old notebook but I heard this may be a bad idea)
Microsoft One Note - $100
Random moving expenses - $400- yeah totally random number
Snacks to stock dorm rooms (eeek) for those of us living on campus with meal plans---

--total $2,500

You might want to consider puchasing OneNote through your school, if available. You can get it for a lot less than $100.   

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 04:13:44 PM »
I figure its going to cost $5000 to move.

Included in that is paying double rent or storage for at least some time period because I doubt I'll be able to coordinate leases in different cities.  Oh and a new laptop.

I'm also planning a vacation this summer to Southern Africa.  I think I'll be showing up at law school with a negative checking account balance.

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 04:15:54 PM »
Moving expenses $400? Where are you movin' to, next door? ;)

hehe, a partically furnished dorm ;)

Bouzie! So I just looked up a ton of moving companies for price quotes - moving literally 10 boxes from Boston to Michigan or Illinois, and the general estimate is about a grand.   :'(  How are you getting your stuff to A2?

I figured my moving expenses from FL to Jersey to be around $800- that's if my fiance drives the truck and we tow my car along with it.

Team Pam

• "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2007, 04:38:42 PM »
If you're just moving boxes and not furniture, try looking into UPS or Fedex ground shipping.  When I moved after college I shipped a bunch of boxes from Boston to LA and it was pretty cheap.  If you (or your parents, friends, whatever) work somewhere that has a special business rate, ask if you can use their account # and pay them back -- we do this with my SO's office and it's awesome.

keelee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 04:49:40 PM »
If you're not living in a dorm,  you might need: Furniture, cable (??), internet.

I might need a new printer, since mine will be out of toner by then and buying new toner for this thing is more expensive than just getting a new printer. Speaking of which, anyone know a site where you can get those ink refills?

New clothes is right: If I go somewhere colder than Texas (basically everywhere) I'm gonna need a few more "warm clothes."  Bah.  Oh well, at least it'l lbe fun to shop!

Any excuse for new clothes!!!! I guess this means I better maintain my weight and size for all of law school.  this will be challenging.
YAY for outlet malls!

Totally credited.

Also, question -- are y'all planning on getting a new cell phone number? I've had this number since 1994! I'm so unwilling to part with it. Its inconvenient for people to have to call me on a line that is long distance, though.  Usually not a problem if they are calling from a cell phone, but that just isnt always the case. I guess the thing to do is get a land line with a local number. I feel like you've GOTTA have at least one local number, especially for giving to prospective employers.

Do people even use landlines anymore?  ;)

Keep your phone number. I've had the same local area code for over five years, living in three different cities. It is not a problem. Most people don't bother switching numbers. Another cool part, depending on your provider, if you are from the east-coast: if you have free nights, the nights go into effect on EST, so if you have an EST phone number and live in PST, free nights start three hours earlier. Sucks the other way around, though.

Employers couldn't care less that you have a different area code.

Matokah

• Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 04:58:50 PM »
I figure its going to cost $5000 to move.

Included in that is paying double rent or storage for at least some time period because I doubt I'll be able to coordinate leases in different cities.  Oh and a new laptop.

I'm also planning a vacation this summer to Southern Africa.  I think I'll be showing up at law school with a negative checking account balance.

Umm storage, yeah - me too.  This is really the reason why I want Harvard to accept me....so that I can stay in Boston and not deal with all of this! <sulks>

I guess that's the one nice thing about having a BF whose job will take forever to transfer him; he's going to keep this apartment (our lease isn't up until November anyway), so I can leave some of my stuff here, at least for a little while.

And the really cool thing is that if he moves in with me halfway through my lease, we could split rent on a one bedroom.  I'm planning on getting something around $700, so $350/month would be sweet (if a bit crowded) for a little while.