Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Alabama Thread  (Read 2497 times)

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The Alabama Thread
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2007, 10:28:07 AM »
I'm visiting next week and totally looking foward to it!

After my horrendous commute this morning (25 miles took 90 minutes), I'm all set to leave city life for a smaller town.  There's no way I could handle Houston!

yep, im also looking for a better commute...
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

whateverlady5555

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2007, 04:47:40 PM »
Getting totally stoked now!  It looks like over on TLS & LSN, everyone who's visited UA just falls in love and writes their deposit check during the tour.  Now that's good to know.

Also just talked to a realtor about where to live if I'm at UA and hubby works in Birmingham, apparently because of the Mercedes plant, the population has exploded in between these cities and there is now plenty of new home construction available that would allows us to live happily in the middle.  Still holding out that he can transfer to Tuscaloosa, but good to know nonetheless.

Oh wow!

Yes, when I went to school there, the Mercedes plant was new, but that makes a lot of sense. I want to hear all about it!

TurboGirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - turbogirl3535
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2007, 11:07:47 PM »
I'm a Floridian but currently go to school in Huntsville. I also lived in Birmingham for a year in high school, not  far from "The Summit." Birmingham, IMO has a more modern culture than Huntsville from scenery to shopping - Sax Fifth Avenue, restaurants - Cheesecake Factory, PF Chang's, education etc. Lots of movie theaters and malls within a reasonable distance. Many people in Birmingham seem to have a high-income and the entertainment options reflect that. For its Alabama location it does a good job of resembling a city.

Truthfully there is not a lot going on in Huntsville. It is sort of in the middle of nowhere. It really needs to be updated. The downtown area is not a very eventful place. There is your basic convention center and a few hotels. The nicest hotels in Huntsville are the new Embassy Suites, and a really old Marriott. There is not much entertainment. Many weekend nights I've ended up and Books-a-Million, Barnes and Noble, or both for lack of anything to do. A lot students here complain about the lack of recreation. No real clubs and few bars that aren't sports bars where older, bearded men have been going to hang out for 15 years. On University there are low end to mid level shopping, Walmart, Target, Burlington Coat Factory, Old Navy, Discount stores such as Ross, Marshall's, Rack Room Shoes. There are also restaurants along the same strip - Friday's, Chili's, Longhorn Steakhouse, Mama Fu's, Atlanta Bread Co, Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill. This is the most condensed area of entertainment in Huntsville. Still, really nothing special. I don't know where I would recommend someone to go if they were looking for something high end.  A lot of people say it is a nice place if you have a family and kids. Pretty safe and friendly.I'd have to agree. In fact I would call it much friendlier than Birmingham. There is a large black population. A lot of office centers have popped up. Other than that I don't think Huntsville has much going for it. If you are looking to have fun and have a cultured social life and are younger than 35 I would not recommend it.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2007, 03:47:43 PM »
so, now that bama has been bumped in the ranks, make your decision easier?

no opinion?

like BBQ?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

oudidntno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2007, 04:48:52 PM »
Congrats to you Bama Bound students.  In a few years Bama may become the top SEC law school besides Vandy.

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2007, 07:16:27 PM »
How can you not love a state that's hosting a Poison concert in June?

http://www.thewharfal.com/calendar.asp
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

oudidntno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2007, 08:06:02 PM »
How can you not love a state that's hosting a Poison concert in June?

http://www.thewharfal.com/calendar.asp

My future wife now hates you for all of eternity for giving me this information ;D.  On April 21st at 10 a.m. I will be buying tickets on Ticketmaster 8).

I literally have been trying to get "Every Rose Has Its Thorns" be our first dance song as a married couple.  Can you believe that I have to settle for Joe Cocker?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiEpLI5exrU