Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tulane - worth the money?  (Read 836 times)

IDF

• View Profile
Tulane - worth the money?
« on: March 10, 2007, 02:34:20 AM »
I was accepted to better schools but for some reason this one just stands out in my mind for some reason. I have a total hard on for the south and this is the only school in the south I applied to.

I plan on practicing in Houston or Dallas, TX

I like New Orleans (well, pre-disaster...haven't been back since that whole episode). I like the south. People seem nice in Louisiana. And I need private school.

Can I justify a) the money this is going to cost b) giving up going to higher ranked schools (even though this is the correct geo.) c) how much more money I will spend at bars going to Tulane than I will going somewhere up north?

njmiller4

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tulane - worth the money?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 08:05:08 PM »
Can I justify a) the money this is going to cost

Yes.  If you really want to go to law school, then cost should be a secondary concern.  You should be more worried about where you will get the highest quality education.

b) giving up going to higher ranked schools (even though this is the correct geo.)

If you would be unhappy living and studying in a place other than the south, then by all means don't go there.  Just because Tulane is ranked lower in U.S. News than Uni Chicago, Georgetown, etc. does not necessarily make it a worse law school (in terms of quality of education).  I would be very wary of using any rankings as a criteria for choosing a law school.  Tulane is a solid school, and you will get a first-rate education if you go there.

c) how much more money I will spend at bars going to Tulane than I will going somewhere up north?

Just because Tulane is in New Orleans, doesn't mean that you're not going to go through hell trying to make the grade in law school.  I doubt you will have alot of extra time to accumulate a hefty bar tab.

Good luck with your decision.  I got into Tulane too, but I still don't know where I'm going to end up. 

IDF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 01:04:54 AM »

Yes.  If you really want to go to law school, then cost should be a secondary concern.  You should be more worried about where you will get the highest quality education.

b) giving up going to higher ranked schools (even though this is the correct geo.)

If you would be unhappy living and studying in a place other than the south, then by all means don't go there.  Just because Tulane is ranked lower in U.S. News than Uni Chicago, Georgetown, etc. does not necessarily make it a worse law school (in terms of quality of education).  I would be very wary of using any rankings as a criteria for choosing a law school.  Tulane is a solid school, and you will get a first-rate education if you go there.

c) how much more money I will spend at bars going to Tulane than I will going somewhere up north?

Just because Tulane is in New Orleans, doesn't mean that you're not going to go through hell trying to make the grade in law school.  I doubt you will have alot of extra time to accumulate a hefty bar tab.

Good luck with your decision.  I got into Tulane too, but I still don't know where I'm going to end up. 

Great response, thanks for your insight! If we both end up at Tulane or at Mardi Gras next year or something I owe you a beer.

Are there any significant hurdles preventing you from signing on Tulane right now, or is it really just a lot of good options and none of them are clearly the best?

njmiller4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 03:07:02 AM »
Honestly, I'm still trying to get a sense of the field...I've only been accepted to Tulane and Florida State in the U.S., though I've gotten into some top UK schools too. 

The more I read up on Tulane the more I'm impressed however.  Common and Civil law coursework, a couple of interesting certificate programs (sports, maritime), solid rep., make it an opportunity that is hard to pass up. 

For me, I would go to Tulane over quite a few higher ranked schools (George Mason, UCLA, Texas, to name a few that come to mind), but I'm not deciding anything until I get more acceptance/rejection letters. 

Good luck w/ decisions IDF.  And if I go to Tulane, you can buy me a Guinness.  Haha.

reeshard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 11:51:39 PM »
Bars are expensive around Bourbon Street, but there are a lot of really cheap bars around the areas where lots of Tulane students live.  I just visited a buddy who is at Tulane Law, and there were plenty of cheap bars.

tenaciousb

• AOL Instant Messenger - CollegiateError
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 11:29:24 PM »

Great response, thanks for your insight! If we both end up at Tulane or at Mardi Gras next year or something I owe you a beer.

Are there any significant hurdles preventing you from signing on Tulane right now, or is it really just a lot of good options and none of them are clearly the best?

I'll probably be at Loyola New Orleans and sadly the bar tab question also popped into my head
Loyola New Orleans Class of '10

Javi

• AOL Instant Messenger - javisays
    • View Profile
    • my law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 12:40:48 AM »

your answer...the club miss maes.  Ideal dive bar, $1 well drinks...done