Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ASW even if you know you're going?  (Read 504 times)

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
ASW even if you know you're going?
« on: March 10, 2007, 02:14:15 AM »
In general: Should I spend the money on going to an ASW if I've already decided what school I'm going to?

Specifically: So far, my favorite acceptance is American. I would pick it over any lower ranked schools I applied to (Tier2) even with $$, and any higher ranked schools I applied to I have like 1% or less chance of getting in to (WL at Notre Dame, but I'm not holding my breath). I know I have a million schools pending, so it's kinda early to be asking, but I'm going to anyway because the acceptance season is almost over.

There's an ASW on March 23 and another April 13. I'm going pass on the early one, just in case there is a miracle acceptance somewhere. But my question is -- If by the time the ASW rolls around I've already decided that's where I want to go, is it really worth it to go? More specific to my situation: I wouldn't be buying a plane ticket (from Texas) till really late since I won't know till late, so it'll be $$ and I've already spent $11 billion on this whole process. Also, I am taking 18 hours this semester and the weekends are crucial to getting all my work done (I have eight (8!!!) more papers to write (two of which are term papers) plus thesis still before graduation). Also pertinent: I've been to DC, albeit for only a couple of days, and I've never seen the campus.

So I guess the main question is: How much will I really be missing out on by not going to an ASW? I'm assuming it's not going to make or break my 3 years there. I would LIKE to go, but I'm trying to decide what will be better in the long run.

Again, this is a pre-emptive question.

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
Re: ASW even if you know you're going?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 06:58:00 AM »
You can always visit, you dont have to go the ASW. I have never attended an ASW, I'm going to my first on the 23rd and thats cos just like you, its my favorite acceptance so far. My other acceptances will get withdrawal letters instead of my presence. Yes, and buying that ticket late will cost you, but if you REALLY want to go, I would say go. There's nothing like doing what one really wants to do.
Now as for the assignments, you can start working extra hours on them now, stretch yourself before that time comes so that two days of ASW will not pull you back. But then again, like I mentioned earlier, you can always visit but from popular opinion I hear its somewhat better to attend an organised event because according to the message I read "everyone knows why you are there" and supposedly more info flows around.
Washington University School of Law 2010

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 10:13:29 AM »
If you can get the time off and afford the trip, I'd go. I think it'll be a nice way to cinch the deal that this is your school.  If money is an issue, don't be afraid to call the admissions office and see if they have stipends or some way to help make the trip cheaper.  Some schools may not have a formal stipend program, but are willing to help if you ask.  At a minimum, they might be able to hook you up with a student guide that can pick you up at the airport and give you a free place to stay.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

enkidu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 07:46:28 PM »
American is a nice school, go visit.

You should visit regardless, to get a feel for the school.

Who knows, maybe you'll hate it and change your mind. Better now that when it's too late in August. ;)
Going to W&L!

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 08:43:04 PM »
Thanks for all the answers. I think what I'll do is, as was suggested, go but not necessarily for one of the ASW. That takes the pressure off of having to hear back from the rest of my schools so quickly.

It's not that I don't think it would be good/useful/fun. The good thing is that American has classes you can sit in on and tours and stuff even when they're not having an ASW.