Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why should I go to an American school?  (Read 15307 times)

caveman924

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why should I go to an American school?
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2007, 07:15:06 PM »
I highly highly highly doubt that the double co-hort will make any noticible difference.

This isn't like high school where the majority of students do go directly to university. Even in that case, some did travel/work/go somewhere other than ontario for uni. BC/Quebec schools DID not experience a very dramatic rise in UG applicants after the double cohort, so it seems limited to Ontario.

In fact this would only ever apply to law school applicants from Ontario high schools who graduated in 2003, if they went to university immediately, if they graduated in exactly four years, if they took no time off afterwards, if those kids are applying to law schools at about the same rate as any other year AND if the majority of those kids choose to stay in Ontario for law school.

Seems unlikely.

I think it is much more likely that it's been diffused. MANY people travel/work/take time off/go somewhere other than ontario before law school.

This double-cohort-everyone-is-screwed business is bullsh*t.

While generally I would agree with you that the double co-hort is all hype. While speaking to some administrators at some of the Ontario based law schools, of the ones I spoke to they were the people that said that they had received a larger than usual amount of applications as compared to previous years. I asked if it did have anything to do with the double cohort and they said that was the main factor. And, while it may seem in the US people take time off before law school andafter undergrad in general I find that most of the people I talk to who apply to Ontario universities apply straight out of undergrad. Also Osgoode as a prime example increased their standards significantly over the past 2-3 years generally a 157 and about 3.33-3.5 GPA would get you in almost automatically has increased to an average of 162 LSAT and 3.5 GPA which is significant and even that has not guaranteed people spots. So it may just be a coincidence but I am sure that there still remains a connection.

papercranes

• Sr. Citizen
  • Beer Lao. Why did I leave and come to law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2007, 07:23:57 PM »
Still doesn't make any sense.

3 years ago was 2004. The double cohort graduated in 2003. Unless a bunch of those kids graduated uni only ONE YEAR after graduating high school the Osgoode numbers CAN'T be attributed to the double cohort.

Osgoode is clearly trying to be UofT/make more money/actually be considered the #2 law school in Canada, hence the numbers.

ALSO all american schools had a dramatic increase in applicants 2-3 years ago, that probably corresponded to higher numbers.
If you check out the LSAC website you'll see the numbers. More LSAT takers, more applications etc etc.
university of southern california 2011

usbound

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2007, 02:17:26 AM »
I heard that UBC was the #2 school in Canada...LSAT median is 163.

papercranes

• Sr. Citizen
  • Beer Lao. Why did I leave and come to law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2007, 02:57:14 AM »
Still doesn't make any sense.

3 years ago was 2004. The double cohort graduated in 2003. Unless a bunch of those kids graduated uni only ONE YEAR after graduating high school the Osgoode numbers CAN'T be attributed to the double cohort.

Osgoode is clearly trying to be UofT/make more money/actually be considered the #2 law school in Canada,hence the numbers.

ALSO all american schools had a dramatic increase in applicants 2-3 years ago, that probably corresponded to higher numbers.
If you check out the LSAC website you'll see the numbers. More LSAT takers, more applications etc etc.
university of southern california 2011

thelawfool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2007, 08:46:32 PM »
This school charges approx. $23,000US for out of state residents and approx $9,000 for in state residents. Thus making it one of the cheapest law schools in North American if you make residency. So if a Canadian were to go there they would most likely have to pay $23000 their first year, but residency requirements are not hard to meet.

I doubt that this is correct. Having been a student at the University of California, I can tell you from experience that one cannot become a resident for tuition purposes if one is not at least a permanent resident of the US. Thus, I never could qualify. I would presume that FIU works the same way. Check first.

Also, it helps to note that if you do not go to an Ivy league law school then it pays to know how far you law degree will go. What I mean is that if you go to a law school for example in California, people in New york, FLorida, Mass. might not look as highly upon it and will turn to more locally trained lawyers. So be prepared to work even not far from where you obtained your law degree.
This is essentially true, save for the Ivy league part. Replace that with 'T14' or 'National school', and you're correct. And to add precision, beyond the national schools that allow you to work everywhere in the country, there also some good regional schools. For example, BU or BC are probably good anywhere in New England, U of Washington covers the Northwest, and Emory all of the South. If you know which region interests you, you can consider trading rank for scholarships.

For Florida International University, while visiting the school the person in admissions who I spoke to told me this. Each state does have different residency requirements. Florida however just requires you to live there for at least a year and have a residence under your name or immeadiate family name. However, I cannot guarantee this info 100% because I have not spoken to anybody who has done this but like I said this is what the person in admissions told me.

an out-of-state classmate of mine went through the steps to get FL residency status for tuition purposes for his 2L year  so it is possible.  you have to go through a lot of steps and bureaucracy but, ultimately, it can be done. 
FIU Class of 2009