Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Permanent Resident but not US citizen - law school loans  (Read 1214 times)

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
Permanent Resident but not US citizen - law school loans
« on: March 09, 2007, 09:41:35 PM »
I have no idea how legit or credible this site is, but they're offering loans up to $50K/year to law school students.  You do not have to be a US citizen, just a permanent resident to apply.  You will need a full-time employed cosigner.  Repayment is 6 months after graduation.

I have no idea how helpful this is, but hopefully it's a starting point for those of you who might not qualify for the FAFSA.

http://www.lawschoolloans.com/lsltuitionloan.php
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

orangie

• Sr. Citizen
  • GULC '10
    • View Profile
Re: Permanent Resident but not US citizen - law school loans
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 09:44:09 PM »
I have no idea how legit or credible this site is, but they're offering loans up to $50K/year to law school students.  You do not have to be a US citizen, just a permanent resident to apply.  You will need a full-time employed cosigner.  Repayment is 6 months after graduation.

I have no idea how helpful this is, but hopefully it's a starting point for those of you who might not qualify for the FAFSA.

http://www.lawschoolloans.com/lsltuitionloan.php

But permanent residents actually do qualify for FAFSA, or am wrong?  Isn't that what "qualified non-citizen" essentially means?

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 09:52:44 PM »
I have no idea.  I just know there are plenty of non-US citizens who are trying to figure out how to fund law school.  When I saw this, I thought it might help a few of them out.

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 09:45:16 PM »
There is absolutely no cause for alarm. Got at least three friends who are Permanent residents and Stafford loans paid their way through college and also for two of them currently in Grad School. When you fill out a FAFSA it says "eligible non-citizen". There is no difference between US Citizens and Permanent residents when it comes to FAFSA or loans for law, medical or whatever school you choose to attend, only international students have cause to worry.
Washington University School of Law 2010

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 12:13:37 AM »
Yeah, permanent residents do get federal loans. I guess the program Boss linked would be a good private lender for the remainder, if the interest is good.  Although I suppose permanent residents would get GradPLUS, too?

Sucks when you're not a permanent resident yet.  And don't have a US citizen co-signer. Wah-wah-wah...

BTW, I just found out that if you are a resident of Texas (and maybe some other states) you can apply for Access loans.  Though it also requires a US citizen co-signer with good credit.

Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 09:39:59 AM »
Just trying to help.

Also it might not be a bad link for everyone else to remember.  If you need to borrow above the school's budget, the only loans I found were going through TERI approved loans and they cap you at $30K/year.  With this program somehow you can borrow up to $50K/year. Personally I think that's just way too high of a number to take on in regards to debt, but still it's nice to know it's there in case things go wrong (medical emergency, etc.).