Law School Discussion

Ole Miss

Ole Miss
« on: March 09, 2007, 12:09:39 PM »
I'm heading to Oxford for the Ole Miss ASW and I was just wondering if anyone could give me some more information about the law school, town, etc. Everything I have read about Ole Miss so far has been about The Grove and the beautiful women and while those are most definitely positives, I would like to learn a bit more about the university.

Re: Ole Miss
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 10:19:10 PM »

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 12:04:24 AM »
Have no idea about how well the law school places outside of MS, although I hear it places very well in Memphis. I do know a lot about the town though, because I visit friends there frequently. Oxford is an awesome town...say what you want about Chapel Hill, Ann Arbor or Ithaca, but to me, Oxford is the coolest college town I've been to. The restaurants there are awesome--my favorites are L&M, 208, City Grocery and Proud Larry's. Bottletree is great for breakfast/lunch stuff. As for bars, I hear that City Grocery is the main law school bar, so you will probably want to check this out. I don't think this is a hard and fast rule, but at least the night I went there, it was full of law school students. Also, just walk around the square. Incredibly quaint, and hit up the large bookstore on the square as well. Also great shopping items, although I don't know how much there is to offer for non-preppy clothing. Outside of the square, Rowan Oak is a cool place to check out. It was the home of William Faulkner, and is worth a look around. Let me know if you have more questions about Oxford--I don't go to Ole Miss, but I love it there and love visiting friends there as much as possible.

TNVol

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 10:17:24 PM »
I'm heading down for the ASW on March 30th.  I visited the school and spoke with the admissions director in January; everyone on the staff was extremely was great!  As far as 'recruiting' students goes, I feel Ole Miss has done more to impress me than any other school which I've applied/been admitted.

I really liked Oxford while I was there, though I didn't get to spend more than a few hours.  The shops and stores around the court square seemed very interesting.  I think I could live in Oxford for three years and be very comfortable with the decision.

The law school building itself was quite dated.  They are constructing a new law building that will be completed after our graduation, so we would have to live with the old one for three years.  All of the classrooms stem from the ground-floor commons area.  There are couches in the center of the room and lockers on the two longest walls-- this building is not at all like most of the law schools I've visited.

It will be interesting to see what happens during the ASW-- I am leaning heavily toward IUB currently.