Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Univ of Texas vs Loyola (LA) full-ride vs Fordham (and potentially vs USC)  (Read 861 times)

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
I was recently accepted to Univ of Texas, and I'm really excited about it.

That being said, I plan to live and work in Los Angeles, and most of my friends live either in NYC or LA -- making Fordham and Loyola quite appealing.

I realize Loyola is not ranked very high, but it, in many ways, is the Fordham of LA, I think.

Anyway, I was wondering what you thought about Texas, in terms of working in LA, and how it compares to the other schools I listed. If I were to be admitted to USC, I imagine I'd have to choose that over Texas, merely for its LA connections.

Thanks for reading.

There's no reason to go to the Fordham of LA when you can go to the UCLA of TX.

If you know for sure you want to be in LA, I think there's a real psychic benefit to being there with your friends and putting in contacts with where you'll stay. If UT and USC cost the same, go UT. But if USC ends up being any cheaper I think you might be better off holistically at USC, even though i'd say your career prospects would be somewhat broader and stronger at UT.

There are fewer UT grads looking for jobs than Loyola grads(all of them) in LA. So that adds some benefit - you'll stand out more from the crowd. At Loyola you'd be part of a seething unemployed mass of students trying to get biglaw.

Sooner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I think the OP should definitely go to UT. Screw the full ride at Loyola...the schools are still miles apart, figuratively and literally. The OP will make new friends in Austin and then have a more symmetrical distribution of friends. And UT debt, even at full price, would still be plenty manageable.

DJ JD, ask an administrator at UT to put you in touch with someone there that can give you more details about UT's placement out west. I think you'll get some more comfort.

I just searched NALP for LA firms that recruit on-campus at UT. The search found 10 firms that pay a minimum of $135K starting salary. FYI
The University of Chicago
The Law School

pea27

• View Profile
not to jump in on the texas bandwagon, but...

i really think going to the school with the best options (and education) is the most important thing to consider.  you think that you will want to work in LA or NYC now, but things change in 3 years.  Texas gives you the flexibility to change your mind.

since i'm probably going to UT i researched its placement out of Texas, and it does quite well.  Although many students choose to stay in the state, 60% of OCIs are out-of-state -- and for well-known firms.

Besides, when you become a lawyer and have many years of earning potential ahead of you, law school debt won't seem as bad.

mjca83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I don't go to Loyola, but I am familiar with it since I am from LA.  There's no doubt that jobs generally don't fall on your lap, but these comments you posted are suspect, in my opinion.  First of all, anyone who chooses to work at a Burger King with a law degree is a complete moron.  Obviously, I am not surprised why he is still looking for one.  Second, other posters complained about the subjective nature of law school exams.  Of course it is inherently subjective, but grading is still anonymous, and professors have to make some judgment calls with a mandatory curve.  I know many students who have graduated from Loyola and have done quite well.   

That said, I think it would be a mistake to pass up on Texas or USC if that comes through. 

There's bad stuff out there about Loyola's job placement. Every time I check a law blog someone is bitching about Loyola. Let me google some stuff. Edit: See below. There's a ton on google.

Posted by: Loyola 2L
Date: January 30, 2007 02:33PM

I can't believe how stupid my 1L class was. We thought we were going to have summer jobs. Sure we had to pay to work during 1L (summer externship through Loyola.) Sure boards like jdjive.com warned us. But we were optimistic.

Well it's four months til summer and most of us have nothing. Should I just pay Loyola for another externship?

http://www.jdjive.com/read.php?1,318915,page=1

C. Ryan,
I had no idea it was this bad. I was told that top 50% out of Loyola get great jobs and the rest get decent jobs. I also had no clue how random the grading was, which is especially stinting when you realize that only the top 10% have a chance on the market. They might as well grade our papers by rolling a dice. Not surprisingly, Loyola has a strict ďno regrading allowedĒ policy. Youíre stuck with whatever grade the professor felt like giving your paper and they donít have to explain why they gave you 3 points instead of 4 points on a particular issue. It doesnít really matter any way, because if I were moved into the top 10% someone else would have to be moved out. Itís a gloomy game no matter how slice it.
I have seriously thought about dropping out but that would look terrible on my resume; so I will finish. However, if I had it to do over again I would have never gone to law school unless I got into one of the top 20 or so schools.
Loyola 2L

Comment by Loyola 2L - February 25, 2007 at 4:08 pm

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2007/02/23/good-times-for-2ls/

To the extent that author causes one kid to waste his life on a tier 2 law school, then he has harmed that kidís life.

Tier 2 schools are a game by which glossy brochures and deceptive statements by recruiters con poor kids out of three of the most important years of their lives, and rack them with $150,000 of debt. Debt which will imprison them for a decade.

Tier 2/3/4 schools are a foolís gamble. Itís only worth the time and money if you wind up in the top 10%. Most likely you wonít be top 10%. I know you think you will work hard but law school grading is random and often comes down to guessing whatís in some irrelevant old professorís head.

Would you pay $150,000 to enter a game in which winning depends on the whims of some old man, who can only pick one out ten contestants? Of course you wouldnít. So donít waste your youth and money on tier 2 schools either.

In closing, here is a post from a tier 2 graduate on another law board. After three grueling years of law school and suffocating debt the only oppportunity available to him is burger flipping. Save yourselves.

From http://www.jdjive.com/read.php?1,332959
Re: got fired. do i have to leave the practice?
Posted by: Barron (loyola 06 grad)
Date: February 25, 2007 09:17PM

Donít leave the practice but work part time at Burger King. I am working as a shift manager at Burger King while looking for a job in LA for the last 8 months.

They pay $7.50 with 2 weeks vacation and matching 401k.

Comment by Loyola 2L - February 27, 2007 at 1:37 pm

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2007/02/27/a-report-on-a-business-of-law-report/

Old and in the Way

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Donít leave the practice but work part time at Burger King. I am working as a shift manager at Burger King while looking for a job in LA for the last 8 months.

They pay $7.50 with 2 weeks vacation and matching 401k.

Comment by Loyola 2L - February 27, 2007 at 1:37 pm

Two words -- Urban Legend

DJ JD

• View Profile
thanks for the help.

as of now, i plan to submit deposits at loyola (full ride) and texas and wait out USC/UCLA.