Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pre-Law School Classes or Reading  (Read 6233 times)

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-Law School Classes or Reading
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 10:15:33 AM »
There was a great series about the Supreme Court which ran on PBS. You can get it from Netflicks.

I find the sites SCOTUSblog, How Appealing and FindLaw's legal commentary pretty interesting.

I think on of the nicest things about being a nontrad (for me, at least) is the ability to resist the hysteria that surrounds law school. Man, would I have gotten suckered into all of that if I had gone when I was 22 or 23!

Waiting for Those Letters

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cardozo Class of 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN!!!!
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 11:21:29 AM »
There was a great series about the Supreme Court which ran on PBS. You can get it from Netflicks.

I find the sites SCOTUSblog, How Appealing and FindLaw's legal commentary pretty interesting.

I think on of the nicest things about being a nontrad (for me, at least) is the ability to resist the hysteria that surrounds law school. Man, would I have gotten suckered into all of that if I had gone when I was 22 or 23!

I'm starting law school in the summer, and I just turned 21. Ayyyy, what you wrote just scared me even more...lol

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 11:28:22 AM »
The upside is that you can spend many more years than I can doing something you love.

And, not all trads get sucked into the insane side of law school. I would have, but that is certainly no reflection on all trads.

Just remember to breathe, and at least stop and evaluate the hype for yourself.

Rock on.

Waiting for Those Letters

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cardozo Class of 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN!!!!
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 11:44:31 AM »
The upside is that you can spend many more years than I can doing something you love.

And, not all trads get sucked into the insane side of law school. I would have, but that is certainly no reflection on all trads.

Just remember to breathe, and at least stop and evaluate the hype for yourself.

Good advice. One side point, I probably getting married next year. I am going part-time, and I figured with one or two classes less, I could breath a little.

Rock on.

sofia455

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 06:30:47 PM »
Hello! :)

If you're still looking for reading lists, here's one from the IU school of law in Indianapolis:

http://indylaw.indiana.edu/students/readinglist.htm

I own a few on the list. I enjoy Friedman's "A History of American Law", but it is a bit dense for pleasure reading. You could also start reading some actual texts and casebooks, if you are prepared to pay for a book that you might not use in law school. Reading that would certainly provide practice in reading comprehension! heh!

Of course, you'll get all the law you can stand when you start school! ;)

Hope the link helps. I'm sure a google search would turn up more...
Married w/ 2 kids
Philosophy Major/Business Minor
Graduation: May 2010
PTs:156[Aug08];
June 2009 LSAT: ---
UG GPA: 3.7

mtbrider59

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 07:17:42 PM »
Read Planet Law School and Law School Confidential and if you haven't taken the LSAT start preparing for that, get practice tests and take timed practice sessions and look for a prep class in your area(try a testmasters weekend course, less expensive and only two days. Start reviewing and collecting the info needed to apply to the schools you want to attend, this takes a while and LSDAS makes it easier but it still takes months to go through the process. If you have any extra time try LEEWS- just buy the CDs, its cheaper.