Law School Discussion

Athletes and Admissions

Chibundu

• PrimeTime!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Athletes and Admissions
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 01:30:12 PM »
Yea I am not it matters just another extracurricular, but again the admins(IMO) know the time and effort that goes in to being an athlete at any level and the level of commitment and the mentality of an athlete and how many are leaders, so it could give a slight edge, but nothing to drastic IMO. I played D1 Football at Ohio State. And maybe thats whats saving my entire process... right...

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2007, 10:50:08 PM »
I think it definitely helped me.  I wrote about it in personal statement and believe that it helps offset my poor gpa.  I played football at a large D1 and I've been accepted to Depaul, Marquette and Kentucky.  162 LSAT 2.6 gpa

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 09:25:02 AM »
I don't believe athletics in particular is valued more than another other extracurricular that takes a similar amount of time, dedication, and practice.  For example I play piano and sometimes perform with the orchestra at my school and it may take me a similar amount of time in daily/weekly practice year round although arguably I'm not required to give up my weekends for games (although the practice is year round.)

There are a lot of attorney/doctor orchestras and other activities at a more professional level.  I play intramural soccer at my school sometimes for fun but don't have time to make it more of an athletic commitment nor does the school really care that I do.

Things where athletics would count more is getting in for undergrad, military officer programs, the business world, and definitely business school.  The leadership and teammanship skills learned in athletics with perhaps the exception of Scouting or a Mock Trial Team, are barnone those in athletics.  And I've disappointingly noticed that many law schools don't have any intramural athletic activities.  Hell we're not going to all just study. And I'm sure that many of you after 4 years with your sport and many years in high school and beforehand aren't ready to give it up cold turkey.

highjumper

• Mindless masses, the General will lead you.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 10:21:57 AM »
It helps, but mainly to the extent that you show how it has diversified or improved your life.  I was fortunate enough to be an NCAA D1 Champion that went on to compete internationally among the top 3 or 4 in the world for several years, which is certainly distinguishing.  As with anything though, start with the most applicable, impressive, impacting experiences/work and filter down to the inconsequential.  The key is to relate these experiences to your legal interest, diversity, and uniqueness.  Did you travel, gain work ethic, gain discipline, perform a leadership role, experience ideal altering moments, have a crisis, or any number of hot topics related to your athletics?  If so, hammer it (unless, of course, you saved third world refugees while working for the CIA on constitutionally challenging grounds that forced you to see how law school was the only avenue to save the human race.....in which case your should focus more on that!)  Under no circumstances should you leave it out.  Even if it is the slightest mention it can only help show how well rounded you are.  Remember, even college profs and admins love sports!

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2019, 09:32:37 AM »
This is for anyone who played a varsity sport in college...

1] Do you think it helped you get into some schools you wouldn't have otherwise gotten into?

2] Did you write about it in your personal statement?

3] What Division did you play in [just curious if Div. I carries more weight than Div. III]?

***Non-athletes, do you think that athletes have any advantage w/ admissions?

In college, I also showed great talent in sports. I was a great footballer. I have good data, but failed. My legs could not withstand heavy loads and I had to finish. But it helps me that I wear special compression socks for nurses that keep my legs in shape. This is the best way for my legs. But I feel fine for myself. They are very helpful.