Law School Discussion

Athletes and Admissions

jusTTT

• View Profile
Athletes and Admissions
« on: March 08, 2007, 07:56:37 AM »
This is for anyone who played a varsity sport in college...

1] Do you think it helped you get into some schools you wouldn't have otherwise gotten into?

2] Did you write about it in your personal statement?

3] What Division did you play in [just curious if Div. I carries more weight than Div. III]?

***Non-athletes, do you think that athletes have any advantage w/ admissions?

Re: Athletes and Admissions
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 08:18:32 AM »
It does demonstrate work ethic and effort, though there is a difference between D1 basketball and D3 crew.

jusTTT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 08:22:16 AM »
It does demonstrate work ethic and effort, though there is a difference between D1 basketball and D3 crew.

I totally agree... which is why I'm asking the division.  Maybe we should include the sport, too?

I played a Div. I sport and I've had some people tell me it will help a lot and some say not at all... So I'm curious in finding out the consensus on this.

ptown

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 08:29:12 AM »
I don't see why it would help anymore than another activity that took a similar amount of time.

I was at an open house a while back and some kid asked if they give athletic scholarships.  The tour guide just gave a funny look.  I started laughing because I thought he was trying to make a joke, then I relaized he was serious and just felt bad for him.   poor bastard.

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 08:33:44 AM »
I have no idea, but pure speculation is that it probably will somewhat mitigate a less than superb GPA or make your very good GPA look better. But if you don't have the LSAT score, I doubt it's going to do much for you.

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 08:34:49 AM »
I played D1 Golf, and I don't think it's helped at all...just another extracurricular.

wilax3man

• Don't mess with us pal, We're from New York...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 08:54:28 AM »
played D1 Lax and I wrote a small additional note on the applications about the large time commitment.  I had a good LSAT and I think it helped alot to explain a mediocre GPA.  My cycle went very well.

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 08:56:43 AM »
I doubt if being an athlete helps any more than other time consuming activities if the emphasis is on scoring points or being first team all conference. However, I think it can make more of a difference if the applicant focuses on overcoming obstacles (injuries, for example)or leadership.

It seeems to me that being captain would be far more important to admission committees as opposed to being the top scorer. Being captain would demonstrate leadership, commitment and respect from peers.

I doubt if the success of the team or the level of play would make much difference. My guess is that some admissions people would not know the difference between D1 and D2. In fact, some may even have a disdain for the jock who brags endlessly about past accomplishments or that "one shining moment".

Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 09:01:22 AM »

I totally agree... which is why I'm asking the division.  Maybe we should include the sport, too?

I played a Div. I sport and I've had some people tell me it will help a lot and some say not at all... So I'm curious in finding out the consensus on this.

What sport/conference? THIS MATTERS.

jusTTT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 09:18:20 AM »

What sport/conference? THIS MATTERS.

I'd prefer not to say the school.  But field hockey at a smaller division I school [ie non-ACC, Big East]