Law School Discussion

Poll

Will Lexy ever translate lyrics I sent her? It's not like I wrote them!

YES
3 (23.1%)
NO
10 (76.9%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Will Lexy ever translate lyrics I sent her?

Re: Will Lexy ever translate lyrics I sent her?
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 08:44:42 AM »
Yeah, heroin.  And complicated emotions.  It's about being trapped by the drug, wanting to escape, trying to cry for help, and all the same not knowing how.

The part about painted red eyes is a giveaway, but the part about the needle is more so.  But also remember that music, as poetry, only has meaning in the ears/eyes of the beholder.  It's often very disjointed.  What you get out of it is as good as what anyone else does.

By the way, a good friend of mine who had been clean for a year has started dancing with Mr. Brownstone again.  Very sad, because he's just so susceptible to the influence of others.  He almost died before he kicked the habit, and he was clean for over a year... but since June, he's been taking Heroin again and I just found out this weekend.  I don't know what you can do for someone like John because he has no self-control, and though he wants to do good always falls back into the same patterns. :'(

ZAP

M2

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 09:11:16 AM »
has he considered Suboxone?

Suboxone is a mix of naloxone and buprenorphone. It completely eliminates withdrawal from opiates and also blocks their effects..
One can start taking suboxone right before kicking a habit, and then not experience and withdrawal and also not get any cravings.

its pretty amazing stuff

I know two people that had habits for over 5 years and both kicked on their first try with suboxone.
It's relatively new...he should check into it...or you should for him.

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 10:14:02 AM »
Yeah, I'm gonna see him tonight.  I'll try to look into it for him today, see what info I can find on it.  I think he's on methadone right now.

ZAP

Suboxone is a mix of naloxone and buprenorphone. It completely eliminates withdrawal from opiates and also blocks their effects..
One can start taking suboxone right before kicking a habit, and then not experience and withdrawal and also not get any cravings.

its pretty amazing stuff

I know two people that had habits for over 5 years and both kicked on their first try with suboxone.

M2

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 12:00:48 PM »
Yeah, I'm gonna see him tonight.  I'll try to look into it for him today, see what info I can find on it.  I think he's on methadone right now.

ZAP

its pretty amazing stuff

Methadone can be pretty nasty in itself... definitely check into suboxone
I sincerely hope he beats it... I have lost a few friends to what started as casual use.

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 12:04:41 PM »
Yeah, I don't want to lose John.  His girlfriend died back before he started up again.  I think that had something to do with it, though I haven't talked to him about it.  She left him a lot of money (well-paid model), which also wasn't good for the temptation level.  But you'd think that since she died in rehab and because he almost died when he quit the first time, it would've knocked enough sense into him to never want to go back to that.  Needless to say I'm fairly disappointed in him, but I still love him and want the best for him.  So I'm going to be supportive, and hope he gets his stuff together and kicks it for good this time.  I'm going to ask him if he's heard of Suboxone tonight.  It might help him some, who knows.

ZAP

ZAP

its pretty amazing stuff

Methadone can be pretty nasty in itself... definitely check into suboxone
I sincerely hope he beats it... I have lost a few friends to what started as casual use.

swifty

• View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2004, 05:25:21 PM »
Yeah, heroin.  And complicated emotions.  It's about being trapped by the drug, wanting to escape, trying to cry for help, and all the same not knowing how.

The part about painted red eyes is a giveaway, but the part about the needle is more so.  But also remember that music, as poetry, only has meaning in the ears/eyes of the beholder.  It's often very disjointed.  What you get out of it is as good as what anyone else does.

By the way, a good friend of mine who had been clean for a year has started dancing with Mr. Brownstone again.  Very sad, because he's just so susceptible to the influence of others.  He almost died before he kicked the habit, and he was clean for over a year... but since June, he's been taking Heroin again and I just found out this weekend.  I don't know what you can do for someone like John because he has no self-control, and though he wants to do good always falls back into the same patterns. :'(

ZAP

Interesting.  BTW, the song is by U2, and I've followed them from the beginning and they have always been anti-drug, as far as a I know.  I do know one song that was written about a friend of his, that was hooked on drugs, I didn't see that in this song.  Anyways, I highly recommend taking a lsten, it's simply called "running to stand still."

What I got out of it, is all the effort I have placed in making a success out of myself by 40, rather than starting over, then the running to stand still part is what I relate too.  But your friend needs way more help, I wish him well.....

The VERY MOST POWERFUL SONG I HAVE ever heard is a song from U2, and it is the one I know is about drugs.  I highly advise to take a listen, it's way better if you can find a live version.  The song is called "Bad."  That's it.  Incredibly powerful song when U2 performs it.  Anyway, here are the lyrics to "Bad."  You must listen to this song!  It is so awesome.  Here's the lyrics:

If you twist and turn away
If you tear yourself in two again
If I could, yes I would
If I could, I would
Let it go
Surrender
Dislocate
If I could throw this
Lifeless lifeline to the wind
Leave this heart of clay
See you walk, walk away
Into the night
And through the rain
Into the half-light
And through the flame
If I could through myself
Set your spirit free
I'd lead your heart away
See you break, break away
Into the light
And to the day
To let it go
And so to fade away
To let it go
And so fade away
I'm wide awake
I'm wide awake
Wide awake
I'm not sleeping
Oh, no, no, no
If you should ask then maybe they'd
Tell you what I would say
True colors fly in blue and black
Bruised silken sky and burning flag
Colors crash, collide in blood shot eyes
If I could, you know I would
If I could, I would
Let it go...
This desperation
Dislocation
Separation
Condemnation
Revelation
In temptation
Isolation
Desolation
Let it go
And so fade away
To let it go
And so fade away
To let it go
And so to fade away
I'm wide awake
I'm wide awake
Wide awake
I'm not sleeping
Oh, no, no, no

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2004, 12:56:28 AM »
Swifty...props on the U2, man.

swifty

• View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2004, 02:03:21 AM »
Absolutely.  Everyone should see them in concert.  It's just such
powerful music.  It's not comparable to anything.  I haven't been
to a concert in a long time though, do you know if they still end
all their concerts with "40"?

I lost a lot of respect for the band after the Joshua Tree came out
and Bono said their music is only suited for small indoor arenas. 
A couple months later they were playing "A Day On The Green" to about
70,000 fans.  SOB's sold out, not the show, themselves.  Once Bono
decided to permaantly implant those ugly ass sunglasses, I've yet to
see any better music after the Joshua Tree Album.  But it's still
all good, I'd see 'em again, I just can't miss that kind of experience
in a small arena.