Law School Discussion

Gonzaga 2007?

Re: Gonzaga 2007?
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2007, 10:52:18 AM »
I am from Portland, but ultimately hoping to land a job in Seattle, and I didn't get into UW and don't like Seattle U, so Gonzaga is the most logical choice for me.  Plus, they have been so darned nice to me that I really want to go!

Why don't you like Seattle U?  I have been waitlisted there as well, so I'm interested in getting your impressions.  I did visit there a couple weeks ago, but of the three schools I visited, I spent the least amount of time there, so I'm not sure I got an accurate feel for it.

As for L&C (I am waitlisted there as well), I actually did not like it very much at all when I visited there.  Its surprising too because prior to the visit it had been my #1 choice.  The campus is amazing, of course, but I didn't get a very good vibe from the students.

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2007, 08:28:31 PM »
Seattle University is a fine school, and their law school is apparently really good, as they get good marks from US News and other indicators.  However, I visited the school in January and I just didn't "feel it".  Doesn' mean that the school is bad, it just didn't feel right for me personally.

I think it was in part due to the fact that it seemed to really have a "commuter college" feel to it, and I am looking for more of a cohesive community.  Also, I had just checked out UW the morning before my afternoon visit to S.U. and so of course Seattle U. paled in comparison.  There were some other factors, the people I met there seemed a little weird, but that is not really a valid observation.  I also have heard some bad things about the school by attorneys.

I am not trying to knock Seattle University, I am sure it is a fine university and I am sure that anyone from this board who goes there will excell.  However, for me personally, I just didn't get a good vibe when I was there.  Whereas I would love to be able to study law at University of Washington, I think that Gonzaga will be an excellent opportunity for me and I am really excited to meet my fellow 1Ls in August and begin my legal studies!

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 09:54:10 AM »
Seattle University is a fine school, and their law school is apparently really good, as they get good marks from US News and other indicators.  However, I visited the school in January and I just didn't "feel it".  Doesn' mean that the school is bad, it just didn't feel right for me personally.

I think it was in part due to the fact that it seemed to really have a "commuter college" feel to it, and I am looking for more of a cohesive community.  Also, I had just checked out UW the morning before my afternoon visit to S.U. and so of course Seattle U. paled in comparison.  There were some other factors, the people I met there seemed a little weird, but that is not really a valid observation.  I also have heard some bad things about the school by attorneys.

I am not trying to knock Seattle University, I am sure it is a fine university and I am sure that anyone from this board who goes there will excell.  However, for me personally, I just didn't get a good vibe when I was there.  Whereas I would love to be able to study law at University of Washington, I think that Gonzaga will be an excellent opportunity for me and I am really excited to meet my fellow 1Ls in August and begin my legal studies!

Thanks for your thoughts.  I completely agree that Seattle U is a commuter school.  I got the impression that everyone there had "another life," be it a professional career they were already pursuing or a family waiting for them at home.  So I can see how the social aspect of it would probably suffer a little, especially for someone who was not from the area and didn't really have any personal contacts there.

I've also heard poor things about them from attorneys, but I couldn't really get anything specific from them.  Just a general consensus that it isn't a very good school.  I don't usually take off the cuff remarks like that seriously, but I have heard it from a few different sources now and I am beginning to wonder if there might be something to it.

The great thing that Gonzaga has going for it over Seattle U is that Seattle U is "second fiddle" in its area.  UW is indisputably a better school, so I imagine that their students must get the best internships and job placements in Seattle.  Gonzaga, on the other hand, has no competition in Eastern Washington, and apparently it dominates Idaho enough that you've got a lot of opportunities in that state and western Montana as well.

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 09:59:49 AM »

Thanks for your thoughts.  I completely agree that Seattle U is a commuter school.  I got the impression that everyone there had "another life," be it a professional career they were already pursuing or a family waiting for them at home.  So I can see how the social aspect of it would probably suffer a little, especially for someone who was not from the area and didn't really have any personal contacts there.

I've also heard poor things about them from attorneys, but I couldn't really get anything specific from them.  Just a general consensus that it isn't a very good school.  I don't usually take off the cuff remarks like that seriously, but I have heard it from a few different sources now and I am beginning to wonder if there might be something to it.

The great thing that Gonzaga has going for it over Seattle U is that Seattle U is "second fiddle" in its area.  UW is indisputably a better school, so I imagine that their students must get the best internships and job placements in Seattle.  Gonzaga, on the other hand, has no competition in Eastern Washington, and apparently it dominates Idaho enough that you've got a lot of opportunities in that state and western Montana as well.

Are the many jobs in the legal market out there?

I read this yesterday: http://www.forbes.com/business/lists/2007/1/07bestplaces_Best-Places-For-Business-And-Careers_land.html
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/1/07bestplaces_Best-Places-For-Business-And-Careers_Rank.html

NW placed pretty well  :D

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2007, 10:04:07 AM »
Are the many jobs in the legal market out there?

Well it is by no means a legal epicenter, but Gonzaga is not that big, so what jobs that are available should not face a lot of competition.  They do have a U.S. Attorney's office there, so I assume there must be a fair amount of federal court activity in the area.  Then, of course, if you are really into natural resources there is always Idaho and Montana.  I think a lot of people go to Gonzaga intending to move out west towards Seattle though, and the school does place pretty well there even though UW and Seattle have a distinct advantage.

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2007, 10:30:25 AM »
Do you guys know what Gonzaga's deferral process is? and whether it is binding or non-binding? One website showed that Gonzaga does not have deferral policy.  I asked the admission office via e-mail, but they have yet to reply back to me.  I am from Atlanta and I want to go to a school in a city, preferably in Atlanta (GSU or Emory).

Should I re-take LSAT and re-apply next year? I don't know if it's better to go to law school for a year and try to transfer or take LSAT again and reapply next cycle.

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2007, 05:33:48 PM »
onechu82:

That is largely a personal decision.  If you didn't get into the school you want, or you want to try for better scholarships, then go ahead and try next year.  However, for me personally, I want to get my career going sooner rather than later so I went with what I got.  I didn't get into my 1st choice law school, but after I sat back and thought about it I realized that Gonzaga is a good school and would afford me good opportunities (with the right work ethic and attitude), and so I decided that it would be stupid to put law school off another year.

You just have to decide what makes the most sense for your individual situation.

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 05:07:16 PM »
Its a risk anywhere.

That post is stupid.  First off, hard data contradicts it (avg. salary is just over 50K, about the same as many other schools), second of all, your career and your opportunities are primarily what you make of it.  Where you go may help you get on your way, but ultimately your career is your own doing.  A man (or woman) creates his own path in life.

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2007, 05:35:51 PM »
I was happy to hear that their attrition rate has dropped to 6 percent.

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2007, 01:52:25 AM »

Where did these attorneys attend law school?  Where do they practice?  I've heard terrible things about Gonzaga as well. 

Its all hearsay and bias, as far as I'm concerned.  SU is an amazing school, albeit less prestigious then UW.  It is a relatively new school in its current incarnation (used to be UPS law school) and its 8 spot jump puts it on par with L&C and UofO.  It also has the best legal writing program in the nation and a great local reputation. 

Compared to UW, I've heard that UW attracts more introverted intellectual types, whereas SU attracts more extraverted and outspoken attorneys with more "personality".  Again, hearsay, so take it for what its worth.

As far as practicing in Eastern Washington is concerned, Gonzaga is a better school because it is regional.  However, I believe SU has more clout in Western Washington in general--where the jobs are.  SU also dominates Tacoma, arguably moreso than UW because of its old ties with UPS.

I'm not bashing Gonzaga, its a great school.  But SU should also be a consideration and given the credit it deserves.