Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern 1L Taking Questions + ASW Advice  (Read 17075 times)

Ann 244

• View Profile
Re: Northwestern 1L Taking Questions + ASW Advice
« Reply #170 on: March 01, 2008, 09:54:02 PM »
Bump because I'm sure many of the questions are the same and my advice (to see Wigmore Follies while visiting for ASW, this year April 4th and 5th if you can) is the same!  Good luck everyone and have fun!

RandyJay419

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #171 on: March 03, 2008, 02:33:30 PM »
I live in Lakeview.  It is way better than the area around the law school.  Some people may tell you the area around the law school is cool, but they are wrong. 

Lakeview is a great neighborhood with easy access to school.  It has great bars, restaurants, and some parks.  The key is to make sure you are near public transportation.  You can live near the Red Line and take that in to school and then walk over about 7 blocks from the Chicago stop.  Another option is to live near the Lake, and then you can catch an array of buses to Michigan avenue, and you have a shorter walk to the law school.  Both are fine options. 

Lakeview borders Lincoln Park which is another great neighborhood in Chicago.  If you are a city person, you are about to come to one of the great cities in America, and I suggest you take advantage of it by living in one of the neighborhoods.  The places up here have character as opposed to the sterile high rises by the school. 

You don't just hang out with your section.  The school is small, so you will get to know many others through the functions put on.  This is not something to worry about.  There may be some section groups, but it's not a big deal. 

I like the idea of living somewhere other than the "sterile high rises"...but do many other students live outside of the immediate vicinity of the law school?  Or is the vast majority concentrated in that area?
Northwestern '11
------------------------------
"A lawyer's time and advice is his stock in trade." 
     -Abraham Lincoln

WeeSqueak

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2008, 03:29:24 PM »
I live in Lakeview.  It is way better than the area around the law school.  Some people may tell you the area around the law school is cool, but they are wrong. 

Lakeview is a great neighborhood with easy access to school.  It has great bars, restaurants, and some parks.  The key is to make sure you are near public transportation.  You can live near the Red Line and take that in to school and then walk over about 7 blocks from the Chicago stop.  Another option is to live near the Lake, and then you can catch an array of buses to Michigan avenue, and you have a shorter walk to the law school.  Both are fine options. 

Lakeview borders Lincoln Park which is another great neighborhood in Chicago.  If you are a city person, you are about to come to one of the great cities in America, and I suggest you take advantage of it by living in one of the neighborhoods.  The places up here have character as opposed to the sterile high rises by the school. 

You don't just hang out with your section.  The school is small, so you will get to know many others through the functions put on.  This is not something to worry about.  There may be some section groups, but it's not a big deal. 

I like the idea of living somewhere other than the "sterile high rises"...but do many other students live outside of the immediate vicinity of the law school?  Or is the vast majority concentrated in that area?

Hey, I'm a current 1L and if I had to guess I'd say the split in the 1L class is 60-40, with 60 percent living right downtown in Streeterville and 40% living farther afield -- Gold Coast, Old Town, Linocoln Park, Lakeview, Wiker Park and lots more.  I live in the Gold Coast which is the probably the closest neighborhood to school that isn't really downtown.  Its never been a problem for me and I have friends that live farther afield and they seem to like it.  People will come visit you on the weekends and anyways most of the best bars aren't right downtown.  I really wouldn't worry about it.  Pick the place that you think you would be happiest living.

anxshusmonkee

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 04, 2008, 05:59:59 PM »

WeeSqueak

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 04, 2008, 06:49:13 PM »
I'm currently on hold at Northwestern; I know my chances aren't great at this point, but I really hope I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm going next week for an interview and am wondering if current students can recommend places on campus/near campus to visit in order to get a vibe for the place. I'm only there for the day, but I've never been to Northwestern or Chicago before, so I'd appreciate your help. Thanks!

Don't count yourself out yet!  I know you are on hold (which is not the same as the waitlist) and that must be frustrating to a certain extent but last year a lot of people who were put on hold ultimately ended up waitlisted and then some got in off the waitlist late in the cycle.  It is likely spaces will open up at NU, so try and be patient. 

Its great you are coming for an interview -- that will definitely tilt in your favor.  Other things I can suggest, if NU is your dream school / clear top choice let whoever interviews you know.  Northwestern is particularly interested in admitting students who want to be here.

Regarding things to do around campus, definitely take a tour if you can.  The tours are really informal (I give tours!) and give you a chance to see the school and talk to current students.  Also I'd say sit in on a class if you can.  In terms of things to do in Chicago I'd say you definitely need to go and walk along the lake, which is right by school, and take a stroll on the Michigan Mile, which is excellent for window shopping. Other than that it kinds of depends on what interests you.  There is an art museum right by campus, the MCA, or there is excellent shopping in Water Tower Place ...     

libdem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Woooooo, go gold!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tricordertrekkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 04, 2008, 08:49:16 PM »
Eeeps! I accidentally booked a flight to Chicago before I checked the spring break schedule. I want to visit March 24; will anyone be around? I wonder if I'm going to be able to get any decent sense of the atmosphere at NU when everyone's out of classes?

Should I try to make a second trip out? (I can't come to the ASW, because of a friend's visit, even though I'd really love to.)
Georgetown c/o 2011

anxshusmonkee

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 05, 2008, 11:14:47 AM »
I'm currently on hold at Northwestern; I know my chances aren't great at this point, but I really hope I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm going next week for an interview and am wondering if current students can recommend places on campus/near campus to visit in order to get a vibe for the place. I'm only there for the day, but I've never been to Northwestern or Chicago before, so I'd appreciate your help. Thanks!

Don't count yourself out yet!  I know you are on hold (which is not the same as the waitlist) and that must be frustrating to a certain extent but last year a lot of people who were put on hold ultimately ended up waitlisted and then some got in off the waitlist late in the cycle.  It is likely spaces will open up at NU, so try and be patient. 

Its great you are coming for an interview -- that will definitely tilt in your favor.  Other things I can suggest, if NU is your dream school / clear top choice let whoever interviews you know.  Northwestern is particularly interested in admitting students who want to be here.

Regarding things to do around campus, definitely take a tour if you can.  The tours are really informal (I give tours!) and give you a chance to see the school and talk to current students.  Also I'd say sit in on a class if you can.  In terms of things to do in Chicago I'd say you definitely need to go and walk along the lake, which is right by school, and take a stroll on the Michigan Mile, which is excellent for window shopping. Other than that it kinds of depends on what interests you.  There is an art museum right by campus, the MCA, or there is excellent shopping in Water Tower Place ...     

Thank you -- I really appreciate your help.

loowho

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2008, 11:49:39 PM »
I am visiting during spring break, and have been emailing with a current student over email, who is going to show me around. I also wrote an email to Stephanie Brooker to ask if she, or anyone else will be around when I will be there, and she wrote me a really nice email very quickly and said she would be happy to meet with me. It's probably not as helpful to go during spring break, but I wouldn't say it's useless.
In: Boalt, $$Duke, $$Northwestern, $$GULC, $Michigan,  $$GW, UW, Penn, UVa, $$USC
Pending:Stanford
Out:Harvard, Columbia :(