Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern 1L Taking Questions + ASW Advice  (Read 17337 times)

d3b4s3r

• View Profile
Re: Northwestern 1L Taking Questions + ASW Advice
« Reply #160 on: May 01, 2007, 12:20:05 AM »
Lol, well don't forget the $65k per year in tuition/CoL.  I'll take what I can get though :D

Do people mostly hang out within their section during the first year (since it's not like you have friends from a cool clinic that you're doing, etc.)?  I like the small section sizes at NU but worry that it could get claustrophobic too.  Any thoughts on this?

Also, I was wondering what people know about Lakeview/Wrigleyville up the red line.  Prices seem pretty reasonable but I don't know much about the neighborhood other than the fact that Wrigley field is there.
Attending: Northwestern (for real this time)
In: Northwestern ($$), UVA ($), Cornell (W), GULC ($$) (W), Fordham (W)
Out: Harvard, Columbia, NYU

2elandbored

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: May 01, 2007, 02:01:54 AM »
I live in Lakeview.  It is way better than the area around the law school.  Some people may tell you the area around the law school is cool, but they are wrong. 

Lakeview is a great neighborhood with easy access to school.  It has great bars, restaurants, and some parks.  The key is to make sure you are near public transportation.  You can live near the Red Line and take that in to school and then walk over about 7 blocks from the Chicago stop.  Another option is to live near the Lake, and then you can catch an array of buses to Michigan avenue, and you have a shorter walk to the law school.  Both are fine options. 

Lakeview borders Lincoln Park which is another great neighborhood in Chicago.  If you are a city person, you are about to come to one of the great cities in America, and I suggest you take advantage of it by living in one of the neighborhoods.  The places up here have character as opposed to the sterile high rises by the school. 

You don't just hang out with your section.  The school is small, so you will get to know many others through the functions put on.  This is not something to worry about.  There may be some section groups, but it's not a big deal. 

ThePendulum

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2007, 05:26:02 AM »

What is the T40 school?  Where do you want to work?  What do you want to do?  Are you happy at your school?  What are you ranked at your school?  Those are the big questions you need to know when determining whether or not to transfer.

If you are at Iowa, and you are in the top 25%, and you like it, and all you want to do is make market at a big firm, there is no reason to transfer. 

I am presently a 0L, so this is all somewhat speculative (obv I need the grades, for one). The T40 is not Iowa, but is comparable, though slightly lower ranked. I am particularly interested in criminal law or civil rights practice, with an eye towards academia and politics. I would like to be able to be competitive for national public interest positions, and obviously I'm at a slight disadvantage vs. T20 applicants as it stands.

I'm really looking at Northwestern because I like being surrounded by people with similar interests, and I feel like NW (as well as Chicago and GULC) might provide that better than my future school. In case I find myself unhappy/unfulfilled there, I'd like to have an exit strategy. 

2elandbored

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: May 01, 2007, 10:40:06 AM »

What is the T40 school?  Where do you want to work?  What do you want to do?  Are you happy at your school?  What are you ranked at your school?  Those are the big questions you need to know when determining whether or not to transfer.

If you are at Iowa, and you are in the top 25%, and you like it, and all you want to do is make market at a big firm, there is no reason to transfer. 

I am presently a 0L, so this is all somewhat speculative (obv I need the grades, for one). The T40 is not Iowa, but is comparable, though slightly lower ranked. I am particularly interested in criminal law or civil rights practice, with an eye towards academia and politics. I would like to be able to be competitive for national public interest positions, and obviously I'm at a slight disadvantage vs. T20 applicants as it stands.

I'm really looking at Northwestern because I like being surrounded by people with similar interests, and I feel like NW (as well as Chicago and GULC) might provide that better than my future school. In case I find myself unhappy/unfulfilled there, I'd like to have an exit strategy. 

You may be at a slight disadvantage, but if you do well enough to transfer that advantage will be erased.  For the types of positions you are thinking about, you will have to do much of the legwork on your own anyway.  The school can only do so much.  I'm not sure transferring is any help. 

These message boards generally overplay the importance of "prestige."  No one in the real world cares about this.  The only people who care about it are those who are insecure.  By the time you're a practiicing laywer, you have learned better. 

I would only transfer if you are unhappy.  I highly doubt the University of Chicago (the ultimate firm factory) is going to help you get where you want.

You do need to be a little more specific, because if you are trying to get to the U.S. Attorney's Office, then things may change a little. 

I would not go into 1L year thinking of transferring.  Just focus on learning, and everything else will fall into place. 

mumbling2myself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 06, 2007, 01:30:32 PM »
Hey 2El and Ann, good luck on finals (or congrats if you're finished)!

Abe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: May 06, 2007, 02:58:27 PM »
1)  For Admitted Students Weekend- I would recommend you come Friday as well, if you can take off work/school.  Last year I came on Friday and took the housing tour of nearby apartment buildings, and that is how I found the apartment I live in now.  Also, admitted students get to come to WIGMORE FOLLIES for free. It is our annual spoof-NU musical and is going to be hilarious.

2) Fire away with any questions you have about the school in general!

Hi there iam Abe doing law 1st year in sa not sure if i should go civil/criminal or coprate could any one send me a brief discription of the details of the type of work i would have to do on each.......(adube@multichoice.co.za)

Ann 244

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2007, 01:38:07 PM »
Thanks!  Only 1 left and then the writing competition.  Everyone keeps saying the writing competition (it counts for 50% of your score determining whether you make law review) is really stressful and a lot of work, but we get *8* days to write 8 pages and correct an editing-exercise, so I'm hoping it won't be all that bad.

Hey 2El and Ann, good luck on finals (or congrats if you're finished)!

Ann 244

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2007, 01:39:37 PM »
My impression is that it is very normal not to know what you want to do until much later in law school, so I would not stress about it too much at this point.

1)  For Admitted Students Weekend- I would recommend you come Friday as well, if you can take off work/school.  Last year I came on Friday and took the housing tour of nearby apartment buildings, and that is how I found the apartment I live in now.  Also, admitted students get to come to WIGMORE FOLLIES for free. It is our annual spoof-NU musical and is going to be hilarious.

2) Fire away with any questions you have about the school in general!

Hi there iam Abe doing law 1st year in sa not sure if i should go civil/criminal or coprate could any one send me a brief discription of the details of the type of work i would have to do on each.......(adube@multichoice.co.za)

d3b4s3r

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 08, 2007, 02:51:45 PM »
Seconded.
Attending: Northwestern (for real this time)
In: Northwestern ($$), UVA ($), Cornell (W), GULC ($$) (W), Fordham (W)
Out: Harvard, Columbia, NYU

trivialine

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 16, 2007, 12:56:37 PM »
taggers