Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: One week break made me lose THREE points!! Ouch!!  (Read 2896 times)

thebengalgent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
One week break made me lose THREE points!! Ouch!!
« on: September 12, 2004, 08:43:15 PM »
I took a one week break because of what felt like burnout, and decided to take a strictly timed prep test (#37), and my score fell 3 points from the last test I took.  I was steadily at 160-162 before my self-imposed break, and scored a 157 on this test.

I lost nothing on games (20/25), but down to 17 & 18 on the LR, and 17 on the RC.  It looks like games stayed with me, and my lack of practice, even one weeks worth, cost me on the LR & RC.

Now I know that when contemplating a break, best to make it a day or two, TOPS.

Any similar experiences???

TheDecline

Re: One week break made me lose THREE points!! Ouch!!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 08:49:40 PM »
Don't worry about one bad score.  Everyone has a dip in their scores.

Matthew_24_24

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 09:31:19 PM »
157 is not enough of a dip to be certain it was from the break.  All that really shows is that your last test scores were not being decreased due to burnout. 

Matt

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 09:36:45 PM »
agreed, i dont think a 3 point change is significant.  i think everyones practices score fluctuate somewhat.  it would be a pretty rare case for someone to get the exact same score or a higher score on every test.

thebengalgent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 09:59:13 PM »
You guys all make good points - thanks.

But I felt I was definitely out of wack when it came to some of the LR questions, like parallel reasoning, and method of reasoning questions.  Also, felt out of touch with dissecting the RC passages.

Matthew_24_24

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 10:00:45 PM »
That can happen.  During the schoolyear i don't read passages like i need to for VC, so the very first section often throws me off..i usually do a warmup one now before i start from a previous test.

Matt

dgatl

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 12:32:44 AM »
i wouldn't say "ouch".  you took a break, now get your ass back to the grind and score high!

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 07:38:46 AM »
I took a 11 point dip from my highest recently then scored 6 points higher than my highest... if my scores are representative of the LSAT community at large i wouldnt put to much credence in a single score... chalk it up to lack of concentration.
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

thebengalgent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 09:26:47 AM »
Thanks, all, for the encouragement!  I feel better after taking two practice sections last night, and doing well (20 & 22 correct).

To BanglaMafia:  I would expect some more sympathy from a fellow Bengali.  But now, never mind, this LSAT stuff:  Who are the smoking women?

dgatl

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 09:45:46 PM »
To BanglaMafia:  I would expect some more sympathy from a fellow Bengali.  But now, never mind, this LSAT stuff:  Who are the smoking women?

You know desi people, especially bongs, never encourage each other!  Our parents were too busy teaching us how to stab each other in the back before parading us around the aunties and uncles.  Anyway, I meant what I said about getting your ass back to the grind because I'm sure you'll do great.  Those "smoking women" are two of my best friends... in fact, they'll be my roomates next year if everything goes according to plan.